How much to power to run Nexus 7?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So I had my Nook Color transformed into a fridge magnet a couple of years ago (see here Barnes and Noble Nook Color transformed into the best refrigerator magnet ever | Android Central) and with the Cyanogen Mod updates, the Nook began to behave badly. I updated my old Nexus 7 to the new LTE version and decided to put the old Nexus7 on the fridge. Unfortunately I've run into a problem. The Nook stayed on 24/7 with the screen set at full brightness. For some reason I can't seem to put enough power into the Nexus 7 to keep the screen on all the time even on the "auto" brightness setting. What is the max amps that I can put into the N7? I can't find the original charger, but I've got it hooked up to a 1.85A charger now and it's still not enough.

Also, anyone know of a way to turn the screen on/off based on times? I've tried NFC task launcher based on times. I can set the screen to a short timeout at night and to never timeout during the day, but it doesn't automatically turn on during the day.

Yeah, it's kind of geeky and it's a really expensive fridge magnet, but the concept really works well for us.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Think the original charger is 2.1. I would take a look at tasker for your other question...if anything can do it, tasker can. That being said, certain things (if possible at all) require root.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Think the original charger is 2.1. I would take a look at tasker for your other question...if anything can do it, tasker can. That being said, certain things (if possible at all) require root.

I found the original charger, but it seems that there just isn't enough power to keep the screen on all the time. I'm puzzled by it a bit though because the nook was able to stay on the entire time at full brightness without draining the battery. I would think the Nexus7 should be able to do the same thing. I looked at Tasker and I'm trying to figure out how to do the screen on/off at set times.

Thanks for the help!

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Nook color has substantially lower screen resolution = fewer pixels to power = less draw on the battery.
Maybe, but in looking online, I found someone complaining about the Beautiful Widgets widget using a lot of the power. I removed BW and it works fine now. It's able to keep the screen on at full brightness without losing any charge.

Thanks all!

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I've been playing around with Beautiful Widgets and that seems to be the culprit. I've switched to Fancy Widgets (although not as nice) and the problem seems to be solved. Full brightness, streaming Pandora to Bluetooth speakers and the battery stays at 100%. It's also checking 2 gmail accounts in the background.

My fridge magnet is back online!