Please recommend a basic program for working with MS Word documents

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I have found an app called X-plore to be a great file manager. It has a dual pane setup so u can browse two locations. It also has nice network abilities and can scan your network for any computer connected to your LAN. It found my Windows 7 system just fine all I had to do was enter my login name/password and I was able to browse all my shared folders transfer file from one pane to the other.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.lonelycatgames.Xplore&hl=en&token=94IN7FxS

Nice find! Just installed it. It is much more intuitive, easier and quicker than ES File Manager for copying between devices, directories etc. Thanks.

Bert - Here it is set up to do the same Tablet to PC transfer using ES File Manager shown in screenshots above. So much easier this way being able to see both devices/directories at the same time.

X-plore - transfer from tablet to shared drive on PC.png

Bert Coules

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to Zedorda and Gardenersassistant. I'll bypass ES File Manager and go straight for the program you recommend. I've been tied up working on the newly rescued and relocated Word file, but that should be done by tomorrow and I'll have some time free to check out X-plore.

Gardenersassistant, how are you capturing those screenshots?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Gardenersassistant, how are you capturing those screenshots?

I think you need Android 4.0 or higher for this. Press the power button and volume down button at the same time for 1-2 seconds. You then hear a shutter noise and a screenshot turns up in the Screenshots directory. (I found it needed a little practice to get the finger coordination right.)

For earlier versions of Android it gets messy, apparently. For example, see this.

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Another way to get full compatibility is with an app called CloudOn. It requires an Internet connection to work, but it's very close to the actual MS Office experience.
For storage and file transfer, I recommend Google Drive or Dropbox. They're both easy to use and convenient.
Other good file transfer options are ES File Explorer and Airdroid.
Try them all, it's fun to play with new apps! :)

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 7

Bert Coules

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I've installed X-Plore HD but can't find the option to scan for other devices on my network. It's probably extremely obvious, but I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. Many thanks.

Edited to add:

Ah, I've just found Windows Share - "connect to shared folders on a Windows machine". Is that it? It says "SMB plugin is required" so I'll investigate that... Well, that isn't working. I searched for "SMB plugin", found something called Samba SMB and installed it, but now X-Plore is telling me it has to be the Ghost Commander plugin.

Oh, great. The Ghost Commander SMB plugin is "Incompatible with other application(s) using the same shared user ID". Now what? More investigation required...

Last edited:

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I've installed X-Plore HD but can't find the option to scan for other devices on my network. It's probably extremely obvious, but I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. Many thanks.

Edited to add:

Ah, I've just found Windows Share - "connect to shared folders on a Windows machine". Is that it? It says "SMB plugin is required" so I'll investigate that... Well, that didn't work. I installed Samba SMB but now X-Plore is telling me it has to be Ghost Commander - which didn't, as far as I recall, come up when I searched for "SMB plugin". I'll take another look...

Oh, great. The Ghost Commander SMB plugin is "Incompatible with other application(s) using the same shared user ID". Now what?

Cant help sorry, but ive been following this. What a headache for you! I have to say Well Done! for sticking to it, or should i say determined or stubborn lol. Whatever it takes!
When you finally get it sorted i think you deserve to party!! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app

Bert Coules

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Definitely just stubborn. I'm damned if I'm going to be beaten by something like this.

On a more positive note, I've now installed the Swiftkey keyboard, which seems excellent, so many thanks to Gardenersassistant for the recommendation. I can't find the full set of arrow keys, though: only left and right. Very handy indeed, but it would be nice to have the others too.

Last edited:

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Lol yes stubborn is a definite asset wen needed, i can vouch for that :p. That key board sounds great! This thread has promoted many apps il be looking at wen i get through my current issues.
I will continue to follow yr progress with interest :)
I love learning!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I've now installed the Swiftkey keyboard, which seems excellent, so many thanks to Gardenersassistant for the recommendation. I can't find the full set of arrow keys, though: only left and right. Very handy indeed, but it would be nice to have the others too.

I'm puzzled. Here is how the SwiftKey keyboard looks like for me.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-20-00-41 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

If I then tap the "123" key down at the bottom left I get this, which has all four arrow keys up the middle of the keyboard.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-20-00-16 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Edited to add:

Ah, I've just found Windows Share - "connect to shared folders on a Windows machine". Is that it? It says "SMB plugin is required" so I'll investigate that... Well, that isn't working. I searched for "SMB plugin", found something called Samba SMB and installed it, but now X-Plore is telling me it has to be the Ghost Commander plugin.

Oh, great. The Ghost Commander SMB plugin is "Incompatible with other application(s) using the same shared user ID". Now what? More investigation required...

I'm puzzled again. I haven't installed any extras such as an SMB plugin.

I can't tell how far you got with this, so what follows might or might be helpful - your tablet may be behaving differently from mine.

Anyway, here I am in X-plore, with the "documents" folder on my tablet showing on the left, which is where I want to put something from my PC.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-22-09-21 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I want to find my PC, but on the right there is no sign of the network. That is because I have made it invisible just for the moment so as to show how to make it visible if you can't see it.

I click on "Show" on the right. This pops up a menu.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-22-09-33 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I tap on "Show LAN" and I can now see "LAN" on the right.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-22-09-43 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I tap on "LAN" and underneath "LAN" I see "Add server", and I tap on that, and see another little pop-up.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-22-10-06 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I tap on "Scan". It says "Wait 5-10 seconds". Then I see the IP addresses for my router, my PC and my wife's PC.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-22-10-23 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

When I tap on the IP address for my PC I see the shared drives on my PC, and from there on I can navigate to find the file I'm looking for, and copy it across to my tablet.

Screenshot_2013-11-15-22-13-16 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Bert Coules

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Gardenersassistant,

Thanks for the replies. Curiously, my initial Swiftkey layout isn't quite the same as yours. I'm lucky enough to have the left and right arrows on the main abc keyboard, though not the up and down ones: that's what I was referring to earlier:

Swiftkey.jpg

I did discover soon after posting my previous message that tapping the 123 key produces exactly the same result as you get, complete with the four arrow keys.

I'll have a play around now with the X-Plore file manager...

Bert Coules

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Gardenersassistant,

Here's my X-plore display, after I'd configured it to "side-by-side panels":

X-Plorescreenshot.png

I don't have that central panel with the various icons, and I haven't yet found a "Show" label in the right-hand panel, or how to get one there. I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Gardenersassistant,

Here's my X-plore display, after I'd configured it to "side-by-side panels":

I don't have that central panel with the various icons, and I haven't yet found a "Show" label in the right-hand panel, or how to get one there. I'll keep looking.

That's odd. You have numbers across the bottom for what look like somewhat similar (but not identical) functions to those I have with the icons in the middle. Here is a link to the app I installed from the Google store. As you can see, it has the icons in the middle. Is that the one you installed? Perhaps you should uninstall the one you are using and install from that link?

Alternatively, at the top of the left hand list and at the top of the right hand list is a yellow folder with a curved upward arrow. What do you end up with if you keep tapping that until the screen doesn't change any more as you tap it?

Bert Coules

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been wondering about that HD in my installation's name: certainly the one in your link doesn't seem like the same program. I might try what you suggest and replace what I've got with yours. I'll report back.

...a yellow folder with a curved upward arrow. What do you end up with if you keep tapping that until the screen doesn't change any more as you tap it?
I get a warning message: You're opening a system folder - tampering with it may lead to a failure. If I then tap OK to proceed I get two directories listed: /emulated and /scard0. There's also another folder-with-arrow icon at the top of the list, but tapping that has no effect.

Edited to add:

Well, I've now installed the version of X-plore which you linked to. My screen display is now exactly the same as yours, and I followed your instructions and managed to list files on my PC, so many thanks for that. One thing I haven't yet sussed out is transferring files across from one machine to the other: if I tap on a file name to select it, my tablet assumes that I want to open it and offers me a choice of how to do so (Complete action using...). If I back out of that, then the file is no longer highlighted.

Later...

Aha! Tapping and holding a filename brings up a menu of possible actions. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
One thing I haven't yet sussed out is transferring files across from one machine to the other: if I tap on a file name to select it, my tablet assumes that I want to open it and offers me a choice of how to do so (Complete action using...). If I back out of that, then the file is no longer highlighted.

Later...

Aha! Tapping and holding a filename brings up a menu of possible actions. Problem solved!

Hmmm.... Looking at the actions in that menu, not quite perhaps. :) How about this.

On the right I have navigated to a folder on my PC where I want to put some pictures from my tablet.

Screenshot_2013-11-16-20-38-11 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Notice that the blue arrow at the top of the double column of icons in the middle is pointing to the left. At the moment, it is the right hand panel that is active, as you can tell from the dark blue of the heading where it says "192.168.1.102/Transfer".

I now tap on the blue arrow and it now points the right, and it is the left hand panel which is active now.

Screenshot_2013-11-16-20-38-27 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I now tap on the tick marks beside three of the files in the active, left-hand panel to select them.

Screenshot_2013-11-16-20-38-48 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I now tap on the "Copy" icon, and a confirmation dialog box pops up. (The copying will be done in the direction the blue arrow at the top is pointing and as a cross-check the confirmation dialog box tells you where it is going to put the copied files.)

Screenshot_2013-11-16-20-39-20 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I tap on "OK" and there the files are, copied across to my PC.

Screenshot_2013-11-16-20-39-36 by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Note that for this to work the sharing permissions on the receiving folder on the PC (or one of its parent folders) must give write access. For shared folders on our local network I give "Everyone" both read and (what was needed for this operation) write permission. For copies in the other direction, the Folder only needs to provide read permission. Sometimes, where a folder on the PC is being used as the source for streaming or archived material for example, it may be best to provide only read permission just to make sure nothing in that folder on the PC gets altered or deleted by accident.

Bert Coules

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed post. I just went through those steps and yes, it does what you say: it's handy if you want to move (or copy) more than one file at a time, since I don't think that can be done by long-tapping on a file and selecting a task from from the popup menu, though I could of course be wrong.

In either case, I'm pleased that at least we're both talking about the same program now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995