Locking down a Nexus 7 for kid's use?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
We bought each of my boys a Nexus 7 32gb when Gamestop had them on sale for $99.

Rather than setting each one up using my own Google credentials I'm thinking I'd like to get each of them gmail addresses and set them up individually so my gmail etc isn't available on their tablets.

Regardless of what I do - what I'm looking for is some way to lock the tablets down so they have no access to anything unless I give them access. Is there an app to do this - where they need to enter a password in order to access certain things like the internet, specific apps etc? Even if there is a way to toggle WiFi off/on requiring the use of a password is a start.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:

titetanium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If you have a wifi router at home, and the tablets aren't connected yet, it will prompt for the password anyway. That said, once you connect, it will remember the password unless you manually tell it to forget the network/password.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have young grandchildren with their own accounts and N7's. The first thing I did was make sure that the Play store asked for a password each time (I learned that one the hard way). You can also set up filters for the Play store, so that they only see kid-friendly apps. I also have a Wifi Scheduler app on there, so they can get on the Internet only so long a day. There are probably other parental control apps, but we haven't needed them yet. They mostly watch movies and play games on it, and it seems some of the kid's games have to be connected to the internet, so the app can ask them to buy additional things. With the password on the Play store, that's not a problem, since they can't just click and buy.

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Use App Lock. You can control every app, settings, Play store, etc. My daughter uses hers at school (she's in 5th grade) and I lock down EVERYTHING except the basics for her. I have looked high and low and this has been the best by far.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I like Kids Place. You can select which apps are available for your kids, and there is a PIN that you set that is required in order to exit to the regular launcher. It locks the Home and the Setting as well.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Use App Lock. You can control every app, settings, Play store, etc. My daughter uses hers at school (she's in 5th grade) and I lock down EVERYTHING except the basics for her. I have looked high and low and this has been the best by far.

Thanks all for the replies so far. amsparky - I'm in a similar situation - our kid's elementary school is implementing a BYOT (Bring You Own Technology) thing and that's one of the reasons we got them each a N7 - how do you handle the PIN when at school? Do you give her teacher the PIN so she can use Chrome for example?

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Zoodles is awesome. I always enable it when my daughter is on our tablets. Locks down everything and makes it safe to be on the internet. You just add the apps you want them to access. You can then enable a pin code to get out of zoodles.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk.

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I would use my google profile if I were you and just make separate user accounts for them (restricted profile). That way, they cant have app store access unless you allow them. Be the administrator of the tablet. you give them access to only what you think is appropriate. This is what I do with mine

But if you are worried what they will be browsing online then that would be a different story.

psyke45

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Zoodles is awesome. I always enable it when my daughter is on our tablets. Locks down everything and makes it safe to be on the internet. You just add the apps you want them to access. You can then enable a pin code to get out of zoodles.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk.

I use zoodles too.. She got a kick out of being able to send family members video messages whenever she wanted, and allowed her to chat with me at work in short bursts :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18