Hi

I hope you can help as I am a newbie to the Nexus 7 tablet.

I've bought my two kids a Nexus 7 (v1) each for Christmas and want to set them up in the best way from the off.

I was thinking of setting each up under different new Google accounts, because as they get older I'm sure they will want to start using separate messaging etc.

However, I don't really want to have to buy each app twice as they will want many of the same games. On their old ipods, once I had purchased an app I could download it onto any device. Will this be possible on the two Nexus 7s with separate Google accounts?

Any advice on how best to set these up from the off would be much appreciated.

Another little thing that is bugging me, under 'My Apps' I can update Apps individually but there doesn't seem to be an 'update all apps' button (using Android version 4.3). Am I being thick?

Thanks for your help
    11-15-2013 07:00 AM
    If each device is logged in using a different Google acct you will not be able to share purchased apps. No different than apple. If two ipods, ipads or iphones are logged in using different apple accounts they can't share purchased apps. They never have been able to.

The "update all" option should show up if you have more than one app to update.
    11-15-2013 07:09 AM
    Thanks for your response - glad I checked!

So, if I create my own Google+ account and buy all apps through that, will I be able to set up sub profiles for each of my children on their respective devises for messaging & youtube etc, or will they two devices have to be be forever linked if i want to share the apps between them?

I've only got one of the Nexus' so far, lots of apps need updating but there isn't an 'update all' button for some reason! I've googled it but can't seem to find out why!

Thanks again for your input.
    11-15-2013 07:33 AM
    There's a setting in the play store to automatically update (the three dots). The update all usually is available once you go to "My Apps" on the left side pull-out menu-top left corner. You can set up a user profile for each on his/her own tablet, but probably not necessary. Also, most apps work regardless of the device account. I'm pretty certain you can install apps then log on with another account and the apps will be there. Each can set up an email or gmail account. Each can have own games, facebook, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-15-2013 03:20 PM
    I have set up my kids android devices (tablets and phones) with 2 Google accounts. I first set up their device with their own google account. Then I add a second communal account. I purchase all apps etc. using that communal account. When installing apps, I used to need to "switch accounts" in the google play store. Lately, I don't think I've needed to do that, but I could be wrong (most of the apps are already installed, so I haven't done much updating).

One downside is that the subscription to All-Access music only works on one device at a time - my daughter kicks me off when she uses it on her phone, and I"m at work listening to music

I make sure to set a password on the play store so the kids can't buy more apps, too!
    11-15-2013 03:37 PM
    thanks for the responses.

Jason raso, that sounds like a brilliant idea, (think it is pretty much what rhea is saying too) unless anyone suggests otherwise I'll definitely be trying that.
    11-15-2013 03:56 PM
    I wasn't aware that an Android device could have 2 Google accounts .

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)
    11-15-2013 04:58 PM
    You can have as many accounts you need/want on any google device. I set my phones to use 2 accounts: one account I use to buy from the play store and the other as my main account. Normally to buy apps, I switch to that account then make the purchase, download, and install it, then I switch to the main account in the google play. After that, I can remove the account used for purchasing and use the main account complete with all the purchased apps from the other account. Not sure about the movies, books, and music from the play store as I haven't tested that part yet. If I need to buy any more apps for my device, all I need to do is add the account back and go from there. Better safe than sorry, imo. I did the same thing for my kid's phone, and it's set up so she can't sideload anything or buy anything from the play store, unless she's smart enough to figure out the controls. I dread the day she does. :-)
    11-15-2013 05:42 PM