hangouts sms help

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
hey. i only today got a 2012 nexus 7, so i'm just getting used to it. right off though i'm running into trouble with hangouts. i have version 2.0128, and i'm not seeing any way to turn on sms in settings. there is nothing talking about sms in settings. i have this version on two other devices, and the sms is in settings. i thought maybe because i hadn't logged into google voice, but that didn't work.

anyone have hangouts sms working, please help a brother out. android 4.3 if that matters.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why would you have sms on a device that isn't a phone? Hard to text somebody with no phone number.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i do have a phone number. i did mention google voice.

i suppose that could be the problem right off the bat. android is not recognizing my device as a phone. i'll have to see if talkatone works on it.

fwiw, i've used text messaging on 4 devices that had no phone number...cell number that is. voip, with google voice, equals no cell bill ftw.

all that said, if anyone has it working, could you chime in please, i'd appreciate it.

edit: ok, i have sms working just fine, as well as voip calls. just no sms in hangouts.

Last edited:

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
i do have a phone number. i did mention google voice.

i suppose that could be the problem right off the bat. android is not recognizing my device as a phone. i'll have to see if talkatone works on it.

fwiw, i've used text messaging on 4 devices that had no phone number...cell number that is. voip, with google voice, equals no cell bill ftw.

all that said, if anyone has it working, could you chime in please, i'd appreciate it.

edit: ok, i have sms working just fine, as well as voip calls. just no sms in hangouts.
With VOIP Stunt I can send messages, but cannot receive them. It has its own messenger. No phone number or incoming calls though.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, let me ask you this.............what phone number would I text to reach you on your tablet? You could likely send, but how would you receive? It works with Google Voice................but that's about it.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
hey look. i was asking for help, and you decided to chirp in with ignorant nonsense. i don't know why you would opine on something that you clearly know nothing about. at least i know this: i have never had cell coverage. never have had a cell phone number. and i've been texting and receiving texts for perhaps 5 years now. heck, i could text on my nook color back in the day.

i receive texts thru my google voice number. the only reason i even posted the question is that google is shutting down 3d party clients that use google voice as a gateway. i'm trying to figure out what i'm going to do when that happens. hangouts has in fact already assumed the sms function on cell phones. apparently it has not done so for tablets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz