07-31-2016 09:09 PM
57 123
tools
    Yes, that's correct.
    nelhop likes this.
    08-12-2014 02:44 PM
    Would B.Diddy be so kind and update his instructions? They no longer work. For one thing, It is now Volume UP, not Volume Down.

Additionally, nothing happens with my Nexus after this step:
    Attachment 95932

My Nexus is unresponsive from this point.

Can someone shed some light on how to move forward from the above step and into the recovery/wipe cache partition menu that works as of today?

Thanks
    08-23-2014 08:15 PM
    I just tried it again on my 2013 Nexus 7 running 4.4.4 (which should be the same as the 2012), and the first step is still correct. Press and hold Power until you see the Google logo, then (while still holding Power) press and hold Volume Down, and keep holding both until you get to the bootloader. Is that the step you're referring to?

When you're at the No Command screen, it can be a little tricky. Press and hold Power, and then press the Volume Up button (while still holding the Power button down), then release both. The whole button press should last about a second or less--don't hold Power down for too long before pressing Volume Up.

EDIT: I just tried it on my 2012 Nexus 7 running 4.4.4 as well, and the steps are still correct.
    ChromeJob likes this.
    08-24-2014 04:10 AM
    Saved a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Nexus 5 this way. Worked on my Moto X as well but didn't see any improvement.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-01-2014 02:17 AM
    I just tried it again on my 2013 Nexus 7 running 4.4.4 (which should be the same as the 2012), and the first step is still correct. Press and hold Power until you see the Google logo, then (while still holding Power) press and hold Volume Down, and keep holding both until you get to the bootloader. Is that the step you're referring to?

When you're at the No Command screen, it can be a little tricky. Press and hold Power, and then press the Volume Up button (while still holding the Power button down), then release both. The whole button press should last about a second or less--don't hold Power down for too long before pressing Volume Up.

EDIT: I just tried it on my 2012 Nexus 7 running 4.4.4 as well, and the steps are still correct.
    Sorry bro. I dunno what I am doing wrong then when I go by your instructions. It doesn't work for me.

I googled other sources and I was able to get into cache mode. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find the link now to post as it's been a little while now. lol.
    10-02-2014 11:34 PM
    What step is not working correctly for you?
    10-02-2014 11:55 PM
    Hello all,

Thanks for this post, very helpful and thorough.

However, with my Nexus 7 2013, I cannot get past the GOOGLE words at startup or after selecting Recovery Mode in Step 4, I never see the Dead Droid......

"5. You'll see the Google logo appear for about 5-10 seconds, then our little friend will show up looking a little piqued."

.....I only see the GOOGLE words after this. I did try holding POWER and pressing VOL Down for a half second, then releasing both, to no avail. Also tried the same with VOL Up at this point and also no avail.

Any insights? Only other postings I've seen are complaints about people returning theirs, no fixes.
    10-15-2014 09:35 AM
    OKAY - so how's this for wierd?

I removed my magnetic closure case, and the tablet powered on without issue.

Anyone have this experience with the GOOGLE words constantly showing and unable to get it working, and ALSO having a magnetic case?
    10-15-2014 10:25 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I've never heard of that issue before. How does the case fit around the power button? Could it be partially pressing it in, perhaps? I've heard of some devices having issues if the power button gets stuck, so perhaps an ill-fitting case might simulate that.

I'm not aware of magnets causing a freeze in the boot process. When you say it's magnetized, do you mean it has a magnetic closure, or that it has a small weak magnet that is used for the smartcover function?
    10-16-2014 10:37 PM
    Thanks a lot, this actually helped me with my nexus 7 (2013) lollipop. 5.0 was really sticky
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-20-2014 04:16 AM
    The only way I could get this to work on my Nexus 7 (2013):

1. Power down
    2. Press and hold Power and Volume Up buttons until got dead Android icon
    3. Press Power button and then Volume Up button and then released both
    4. Got menu with wipe cache partition item
    This procedure works just as user claims. Also the simplest, easiest directions I have found. Thank you sir or ma'am. This fixed intermittent rotation lock. Great advice!!
    01-27-2015 02:31 PM
    Thank you but still I'm waiting for results ..I'ts back to the stuck Google on my android screen , anyway thank for the steps that I followed.....
    02-11-2015 09:23 AM
    Fantastic guide and very clearly written My nexus 7 (2012) ground to a halt since receiving Lollipop. After running cache partition wipe from this guide and also used an app partition wipe and my tablet is back in normal operation. Thanks very much for this,it's a shame that the Lollipop installation process didn't include a cache partition wipe as part of it's installation by default to save others the pain of a sluggish tablet.
    02-11-2015 07:19 PM
    Thank you but still I'm waiting for results ..I'ts back to the stuck Google on my android screen , anyway thank for the steps that I followed.....
    02-20-2015 03:26 PM
    I too am perplexed. Pressing the power button while in "Recovery Mode" shuts the tablet off. I never see the dead droid.
    02-20-2015 03:30 PM
    Hi
    I can get the menu up and press recovery mode, but the android with the exclamation mark doesn't appear. Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks
    03-16-2015 06:15 PM
    You put your left arm in, your left arm out.......
    Its like joining the Freemasons. The most complicated procedure for what should be a simple routine.
    I HATE GOOGLE. Trouble is I hate windows rt even more. Is it any wonder that iPads sell so well?
    03-18-2015 04:18 AM
    I get to the screen with the dead android, but no further. I've tried a dozen times and after the dead guy lays there for a while, my N7 2013 just turns itself back on. No cache partition takes place. It completely skips that, even though I've followed directions to a T. This is insane!
    03-28-2015 02:16 PM
    This will probably not help, but here are instructions for a cache partition wipe on a Nexus 5 phone. I literally just did it and it works. I got them from T-Mobile tech support.

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
    Back up all necessary data that is on the internal memory.
    Turn off the device.
    Press and hold the Volume Up and the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for about 10 seconds.
    An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
    Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
    Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
    An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
    While holding down the Power key, tap the Volume Up key.
    The Android System Recovery screen will appear. Release all keys.
    Use the Volume keys to scroll to wipe data cache partition and press the Power key to select.
    Wait for the wipe and formatting to take place (a few minutes) and the Android System Recovery screen will reappear.
    Use the Power key to select reboot system now.
    The phone will restart.

Greg
    03-28-2015 10:23 PM
    The first time I did this followed a major os update that wrecked my android. Supposed to upgrade me to a nexus 10 or something. It was very slow and crashed all the time. Clear casche seemed to make it better, but was never quite the same but I didn't loose any info. Now, another update. I hope it works again.
    03-29-2015 03:29 PM
    Just want to say thanks. The clear cache worked for me once I had learned the wait times and rhythm of the buttons.
    04-05-2015 02:08 PM
    My performance on my Nexus 7 sadly went down after installing 5.0... and while this does seem to do the trick, it often only works temporarily
    04-16-2015 03:43 AM
    I am able to process step 6, however i can't clear the cache or reset the data on my 2013 nexus 7. Is there any solution to this?
    04-27-2015 08:05 AM
    Anyone have screen tearing

Posted via Android Central App using galaxy s4
    05-05-2015 06:16 PM
    My wife's 7 state to get really laggy, and I tried clearing both the cache and davlik cache... that didn't work.

But in the process, I noticed that the system partition itself was nearly full.. I even went as far as a factory reset. But a factory reset leaves the system stuff alone, so I didn't get much relief.

Long story short, I unlocked, rooted, and loaded a custom ROM and recovery (i have titanium backup premium, so I saved all her apps and data). TWRP, PA 4 B4, with the pa gapps 'mini'... system partition is now at 200 mb free and the 7 is back to its peppy, responsive self again.

They only gave about 680mb for that partition... and it apparently doesn't like to be filled. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Fantastic guide and very clearly written My nexus 7 (2012) ground to a halt since receiving Lollipop. After running cache partition wipe from this guide and also used an app partition wipe and my tablet is back in normal operation. Thanks very much for this,it's a shame that the Lollipop installation process didn't include a cache partition wipe as part of it's installation by default to save others the pain of a sluggish tablet.
    The cache partition wipe did not help me Graeme. What app partition wipe did you do that helped bring your Nexus 2012 back to life.?

Sent from my Moto XT1060 using Tapatalk Pro
    05-18-2015 08:13 PM
57 123