Nexus 7 2012 slowly charging?

Jc18able

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
My nexus 7 2012 16gb Wi-Fi only , which I bought around 3-4 months a go is charging very slow this week (Around 4% every 30 mins), Im using the original wall charger and USB cable that came with the tablet, using Android 4.4. also tried a diff socket but nothing changed.

Any idea?

Last edited:

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Since the N7v1 battery is rated at 4325 milliamp-hours you charging rate is about 0.52 amps. I usually get about 0.9 amps which I also consider low. I have tried Blackberry Playbook and HP TouchPad chargers without seeing much difference. I also am using Battery Doctor which may have some influence on the rate. I also use Battery Graph and Gauge Battery. I have tried putting the tablet in airplane mode after closing all apps but the Battery Apps and also turning the N7 off before plugging in the charger.

How fast did yours charge before you noticed this problem? It may be that some app is continuing to run while you are charging. You can selectively kill apps with Battery Doctor or Advanced App Manager.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tervz

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was having similar problems. I used Battery Doctor to shut down apps that hogged data. It helped and would be okay for awhile, but go bad again. Now it's okay. I'm not sure why. My theories are:
1. Some app updates may cause data hogging in the background, even when charging. New updates come and fix that.
2. My usb port is getting a little loose and I have to be sure to plug in the charger just right and leave it undisturbed.
3. My tablet is usually at home. I took it to a meeting and it probably got put in the carrier with my files upside down and that may have loosened the connections inside. I've been careful to keep it rightside up or flat since that episode and it's been okay. I have seen suggestions to open the back and make sure all battery connections are tight. I haven't tried that but there are "how to's" on YouTube.
4. Figure out where to buy a new battery. All the ones on EBay I saw were used. Hard to say what shape they are in. I'd buy a new one.
Overall my battery lasts about as long as it did (purchased Aug. 2012). It's the recharging that gets weird.
5. Look on batteryunversity.com for lithium-ion batteries for ideas.
I live with my N7 and would miss it terribly if the battery goes bad, so I have backup plans. In a worst case I'd get a 2013, but I'm happy now.
Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Tervz

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course, if your nexus is in warranty you can send it in and struggle to live without it. Not sure if opening the back to check connections may void the warranty.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 7 seems to be quite sensitive to bad cables when charging. It might be that your cable has worn out and isn't carrying the current as well as it should, so it is probably worthwhile trying out different usb cables.

Specifically, the Nexus 7 is sensitive to the voltage it receives and it doesn't charge well when it is too low, a poor quality cable has a higher electrical resistance than a good one, this causes the voltage to drop before it reaches the device which the Nexus 7 doesn't like. As a general rule of thumb, thicker cables are better, although it is the thickness of the copper wires carrying the power that is important, so you can be deceived by excess plastic insulation if you are just looking at the thickness of the cable.

If you have a power meter device that you can plug things into to see how much power they use, this can be a quick and easy way to see how well it is charging with any particular cable, my power meter registered a draw of 7-8 watts for the charger with the original cable, and another good quality cable I had.

Jc18able

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for you time and help guys, I havent really try any solution at the moment because Im very busy with College, for now all Im doing is that I just let it charge all night.

Also I asked for a solution for this at the google forum and 2 ppl said that using a Dock might an alternative solution for the slow charge

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/wrTqHYhS-Vw/xSGiAYdRF50J

Jimmy Pailin
I've finally found a way to charge my phone after having the same problem. I'm sure many do not own one, but my 2012 Nexus 7 will charge on the OEM Nexus 7 dock--but not any other way. Out of sheer good fortune, I'd ordered one right before Kit Kat, had not used it because of Kit Kat inducing battery/charging issues, but finally thought to give it a try last night. And to my complete shock, my phone was once again fully charged in only a few short hours after a week of not charging and finally being unusable without power.

Even better, it continues to charge each time. I'd once gotten my tablet to charge via USB when it would not with AC, but only once. (And no, Google, it's not the case of a singular bad USB port but I guess you'd need to go through all the pains I and others have experienced to understand that.)

Vita T
It's charging faster via docking no other solution though right now.

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I fixed problem with "Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit " flashing 4,4,2 and bootloader 4.23(wich i think was my problem becouse it freezing some times when i was in it).
happy flashing and flash it from bootloader, not developer option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois