Unrooted N7 (2012) 4.4.2 OTA update failed!

elach4018

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Tried twice when prompted by notifications and both times it hung in the middle and gave message that said "error."

Nexus 7 (2012) w/ 16gb, already running 4.4

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Thats no good! Really though, it does suck to see a device that isn't tinkered with have update problems. So if you have never unlocked/rooted the device then I'm going to guess first that somehow your stock recovery may be corrupted. How this happens I'm not sure..

Unless someone has a better idea or suggestion I would recommend using Helium from the Play Store to backup your important apps and related data and then if your up for a little tinkering unlock it, update (flash) the factory images manually or via toolkit and then you can always turn back around and lock it back up if you want.

UN4GTBL

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain.

My stock N7 did that going to 4.4 - just got stuck in a boot loop after an "Error" on re-boot.

I called Google Support and they tried to walk me through a factory reset, but it wouldn't do it properly. They referred me to Asus, who also tried to walk me through a reset, and it didn't work then either. I then had the deal with their horrible support people and courier it to them about two weeks ago.

I just got it back from Asus yesterday. It seems they replaced the motherboard and battery in mine. (According to the paper in the box) Not sure why, but so far it's ok. I had the 4.4.2 update notification come in last night on it and it was ok thankfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781