How Do I Pair My Nexus 7 Tablet with NFC-Enabled Speakers?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
:pI bought a nice stand for my 2012 Nexus 7 Tablet (Android 4.4.2) which has built in speakers. There are 3 ways to connect the Tablet to the speakers. 1) A little cord that plugs into the audio jack. 2) Pairing/connecting using Bluetooth. 3) Pairing/connecting using NFC. I just can't pair/connect them using NFC. I hold the back of the Tablet against the NFC logo on the stand and tapped the screen and nothing ever happens. :mad: I've never used NFC for anything before, so I'm totally unfamiliar with it. Do I need to open a "Speaker" app or something to tap on? I've tried opening the volume control bar and tapping on that. I know that the speakers work and everything because I connected them via Bluetooth with no problem and I didn't know what I was doing there either. Can someone please help me? :confused: It wouldn't be the end of the world if I cold never connect via NFC, because I can use either of the other 2 methods, but I'd like to learn something about this underused NFC feature we have available. Looking forward to your advise.:-[
Greg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you confirm that NFC is on? Go to Settings>Wireless & Networks,​ tap More..., then see if NFC is checked or not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you give us the brand and model of the speaker dock? Maybe it has a support page to explain how to connect via NFC, or perhaps has limited compatibility.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Can you give us the brand and model of the speaker dock? Maybe it has a support page to explain how to connect via NFC, or perhaps has limited compatibility.

Here is the poduct web page: Plugable Bluetooth Wireless Speaker Tablet/Phone Stand With NFC Pairing | Plugable The brand name is Plugable. I have tried using this app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.sony.easyconnect&hl=en&token=GO-XTHrh, but all it can think about with the app is using Bluetooth. It keeps wanting to connect via Bluetooth. Maybe I need to look at the Settings?

Greg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't find a manual online, but one Amazon reviewer mentioned having to hold different parts of the Nexus 7 back against the stand until the pairing happened. He said that for him, the NFC chip seemed to be in the vicinity of the Nexus logo.

You may want to email the Plugable support people here: Contact Us | Plugable

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't find a manual online, but one Amazon reviewer mentioned having to hold different parts of the Nexus 7 back against the stand until the pairing happened. He said that for him, the NFC chip seemed to be in the vicinity of the Nexus logo.

Thank you. I will try both of those things.

Greg

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

This has been settled now after I talked to someone named Josh in the company's forums. My NFC was working all along. It is merely used as an unnecessary intermediate step in connecting a tablet (in my case) to the speakers with Bluetooth.

You can either bring the 2 devices close together and directly connect Bluetooth to Bluetooth, or you can place them back to back, pair them using NFC and then respond Yes when the Tablet asks if you want to connect the 2 Bluetooth devices. Whether you use NFC as an intermediate step or not, the only way your device connects wirelessly with the speakers in the stand is with Bluetooth.

I told Josh that IMHO, Portable's advertising was misleading at the very least. They advertise that the speakers built-in to the stand can connect to your device wirelessly in 2 ways: by Bluetooth or by NFC, and that just isn't true. Surprisingly, Josh agreed.

Greg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering about that when I read the product description. When I did a search for NFC speakers, it sounds like it's an actual technology, although I don't know much about it at this time. Sounds like this company was doing its best to confuse the issue. Oh well, glad you figured it out!

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle