Nexus 7 not recognized by computer

gemsjams4eva

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok, now I'm really confused. I did a factory reset through the settings and it still does not connect! I then tried doing it again but through the bootloader, still nothing! I don't understand, shouldn't resetting it bring it back to normal? if not then is it a hardware issue rather than a software issue?

You may have to install the usb driver manually:
These worked for me:

Try the first option first and if no luck, then try the second option..

1. 1. First, you may have to install the “usb driver software” for your device for your computer to recognise your use device (the nexus 7), this can be found at: How to flash factory image on Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 to return to stock

or follow this:

How to solve ADB : 'Device Not Found' error in Android [SOLVED] ~ Dominant Wire

Let me know how you get on x

Sentient Being

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I found this solution to the above problem. I too was perplexed with this USB connectivity issue with my Nexus 7 2...
This method is so simple, but it seems very elusive:

Check the USB settings on the Nexus 7
- Open the Nexus Settings App
- Select Storage (It should show space used by programs, media, etc)
- Open the menu (the 3 dot icon - in upper right corner on my model)
- Select USB Computer Connection
- Make sure the Media Device (MTP) is check marked by touching the check box
This makes the Nexus 7 look like a drive when connected via USB

You can now try connecting the Nexus 7 to the computer via the USB cable.

MeniscusKing

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Would you happen to know if any Acer drivers are installed on your computer? Here recently there was a Windows Update that installed the wrong driver and made it so that I had the exact same problems as you're having. Here's how I fixed it.

Go To> Control Panel>Hardware and Devices>Device Manager. In Device manager look for something along the lines of "ACER Composite ADB Interface", at least in my case I had the wrong ADB interface installed. You'll know if you have the wrong drivers if you go to Devices and Printers and right click your Nexus 7 and go to it's properties. It should be under the hardware tab where it lists it. If it doesn't just say Nexus 7 then follow these instructions. Once you find it in the Device Manager (once again in my case it was the ACER Composite ADB Interface causing the issue) right click and and uninstall it. There should be a dialogue box that pops up right after which will ask you if you want to delete the drivers. Check this box and proceed with the uninstall. After successfully uninstalling the drivers plug in or unlplug and plug back in your Nexus 7. It should show up now with the correct drivers installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you sure you uninstalled the Acer ADB Device driver, or did you just Disable it? This procedure worked for my Nexus 5.

Quelch

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The weird thing with my Nexus 10 is that the Acer ADB re-installs every time I plug my tablet into my computer.

My Nexus 7 too, the Acer ADB re-installs every time after uninstalling it and rebooting the computer, I'm beginning to hate Acer !
The Nexus 7 works happily with my Windows 7 laptop computer but no longer works with my super fast mini-itx Windows 8.1 desktop computer
Which makes me suspect we have a problem with a recent update to Windows 8.1, as up to fairly recently, my Nexus 7 and Windows 8.1 desktop were working together without a problem
I've tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail

When the Nexus is connected to the Windows 7 laptop the driver is shown as a Microsoft driver, when connected to the Windows 8.1 desktop the blankity blank Acer driver re-installs !

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question for those of you who are still having problems after uninstalling the faulty device driver: do you have Windows set up to automatically install updates, without prompting you? Perhaps the incorrect driver is automatically reinstalling soon after you uninstall it.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Quelch

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I followed the instructions in the link from Whirlpool Computer forum member Mark Aidan
Nexus 7 2013 Drivers Installation Guide
Before following these instructions I did a system restore to before the 15th August '14 to be rid of the rogue update and set my computer to not download updates until I tell it to, so that I can un-tick the rogue one
My Nexus 7 is working normally again and I can load eBooks from calibre, load music etc

Shakhawat Hossain

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
The following steps might different depending on your version of Windows and what driver your PC loaded for your device. But idea is to uninstall the driver your PC is using and disconnect your Nexus 7 and reconnect.

Go into Devices and Printers on your windows PC >>> Right click your Nexus 7 >>> Properties >>> Hardware >>> Properties >>> Change settings >>> Driver >>> Uninstall. >>>>> Done >>>> Then unplug Nexus 7 and replug and Windows should load the correct driver and Nexus 7 should be recognized.

I registered in this site just to thank you brother. You are a complete f**king genius. You solution completely works. Hats off to you sir :)

wconvery

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 7 model number shows ME571K so my pc well not let me update the drivers... Trying to update from 4.2.2 and can not find any way to do it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ben Stuart

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I have also been having the same issue with a Windows 8.1 Acer. I was wanting to transfer some tracks from my CDs onto my tablet player, but of course came stuck when the laptop refused to recognize the Nexus 7. I tried the above ideas, they did not work for me, but hopefully will work for others. If they don't though, I found something that worked for me, I just tried as an off-chance so pleased when it worked!

Go to the mentioned settings screen on your tablet, click the 3 dots and 'USB Computer connection' but instead of clicking (MTP) option, try the (PTP) option, for some reason my laptop was able to then recognize the tablet as a camera and could transfer files back and forth no problem!

carcraze

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Would you happen to know if any Acer drivers are installed on your computer? Here recently there was a Windows Update that installed the wrong driver and made it so that I had the exact same problems as you're having. Here's how I fixed it.

Go To> Control Panel>Hardware and Devices>Device Manager. In Device manager look for something along the lines of "ACER Composite ADB Interface", at least in my case I had the wrong ADB interface installed. You'll know if you have the wrong drivers if you go to Devices and Printers and right click your Nexus 7 and go to it's properties. It should be under the hardware tab where it lists it. If it doesn't just say Nexus 7 then follow these instructions. Once you find it in the Device Manager (once again in my case it was the ACER Composite ADB Interface causing the issue) right click and and uninstall it. There should be a dialogue box that pops up right after which will ask you if you want to delete the drivers. Check this box and proceed with the uninstall. After successfully uninstalling the drivers plug in or unlplug and plug back in your Nexus 7. It should show up now with the correct drivers installed.

You're a genius!! Thanks for solving this problem for me. *THUMBS UP*