Nexus 7 and iPhone - a good combination?

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had my N7 since the summer it was first released and still use it daily. I have never had a smartphone - my current phone is an old LG Dare feature phone and it is dying. Since I like the N7 and Android, my first reaction was to look for an Android phone, but I've been given an offer that I'm finding hard to resist - a free 32GB iPhone 5c if I take on a new 2 year contract, and they are offering me a plan that is about as good as anything I can find anywhere.

I know this isn't iPhone territory, but do any of you use an iPhone alongside your N7? I'm wondering how the 2 UIs work for you - do you find it difficult to switch back and forth or is it fairly seamless?

Yes, I know all about Apples "walled garden" App Store only access, but that doesn't really bother me as most of the apps I use are available on both platforms and I'm not too heavily invested in Android apps that I would put on the phone. As for customizing, widgets, etc. I've done that on my N7 and I view the phone more as a tool and less as a media consumption device. I play games, watch videos, surf the web etc. on my N7 and I don't see that changing.

So....suggestions, comments, etc. please. Will they play nice together? Will I go bonkers trying to adapt to and use two different UIs?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Apple does have very solid support for Google apps, and prior to this year I knew several people who preferred it the other way, and Android phone with an iPad for a tablet, but I presume it works out well the other direction too. May I ask what carrier has the promotion for the 5c? I am leery of that device, as it's a colorful iPhone 5, but we might be able to find a suitable deal for an alternative device (like the 5s or a rockstar Android or Windows phone)... if not, you're not describing a bad situation by any means. There are a few obstacles, but there are a lot of helpful members who have experience with both ecosystems and how to smooth out the wrinkles in interactions between them.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Like NIT has said, most of the dual users I have seen have an Android phone and Apple tablet, typically the Nexus as the phone.

CDG

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad Air. I just (3 days) got the Nexus 7 and am not facing any problems.

I get my email on all three devices and the associated contacts and calendar are on all three as well.

What are some of your concerns, maybe I could try to help.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I've got an 'old' iPhone 4 and bought the 'old' Nexus 7 about this time last year - and use both without issue.

Previously to getting the Nexus, I used Yahoo! for my primary mail address (and address book and Reminders), while Gmail for a secondary address. Convoluted, but that's just the way that works for me. This I'm able to sync with my iPhone and the Nexus is no different, though frankly, I'm happier with the apps for each Mail than I am with the generic Mail app included in the OS.

Then, just to add to the mix (because I have a Mac Air) I use Apple's Calendar, which of course syncs to the iPhone without issue, while I use 'SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar' app to work with the Nexus. Combine that app with 'Tasks' by the same developer and it will sync your Reminders from your iOS/iCloud/Mac as well.

I'm sure I could go 'all Google' for both devices, but not dead keen on the full transition (or Google) yet. Meanwhile, a majority of the apps I have on my iPhone have their Android version, while there are some apps in Android that frankly - IMHO - suck (Gallery, Photos leap immediately to mind) or are pointless (Google+), with no obvious alternative found for me yet. And that prevents me from being fully dedicated to Android (as a phone alternative) or my Nexus yet.

But there's little to prevent any sort of sync issues when using both devices as you describe, especially if you use a 3rd Party online service for much of your information.

Last edited:

Amamba

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I just replaced my Nexus 7 with iPad Mini Retina but kept my Android phone. They play together well as long as you don't use OS specific apps.

E.g. Google services work well on both systems. However e.g. to show tasks in Calendar you need a 3rd party app and the one I use (CalenGoo) only works with tasks from one account, while on Android I kept separate accounts for work and personal stuff and CalenGoo for Android combined them in one view.

If you use Office docs there's much less choice and whatever there is is limited. But you probably don't want to create spreadsheets on the phone anyway, and simply reading them is easy.

Apple doesn't have a file system per se. To exchange files you need to use a cloud system or do it via desktop, again whether it's a problem or not depends on what you intend to do.

You can use a 3rd party browser but you can't set it as default - all links in emails will open in Safari.

Hangouts work but video is choppy, I think it was smoother on Nexus, must be an issue with iOS version. Voice calls using it are clear.

For me, the biggest problems with iPhone are screen size and battery life. I have HTC Evo 4G LTE and wife has Samsung Galaxy S3, both have much larger screen and both would last two days of moderate use. I may still go with iPhone in the future if they improve at least the battery life, I can live with smaller screen if it's good resolution.

Hope this helps.

To add: I will stay away from Apple iCloud services for anything other than backup. Apple made iCloud limited for people not using Apple products - you can't access it via web interface from an Android phone, and it's rather slow from PC web interface. So if I kept my email, Calendar and docs in iCloud, and tried to access it from a device I don't sync to (e.g. one of my kids' tablets, or a work issued Android phone that I don't want to sync my personal stuff to) I'd be SOL. For me, Apple is the hardware I use with Google services (would prefer MS if they got their act together).

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. The deal is thru Verizon,coupled with a loyalty plan that offers me pretty good monthly rate. I'd never be willing to pay what they want for any iPhone, as I think they are far too expensive for what you get,but for free.... Although I'm not really thrilled about having to take out a new contract.

I've also looked seriously at a Moto X.Still debating the pros and cons of each. Since I tend to keep my devices for a long time, support is a key factor. But high on my list is ease of use, build quality and voice quality - it is,after all, a phone!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. The deal is thru Verizon,coupled with a loyalty plan that offers me pretty good monthly rate. I'd never be willing to pay what they want for any iPhone, as I think they are far too expensive for what you get,but for free.... Although I'm not really thrilled about having to take out a new contract.

I've also looked seriously at a Moto X.Still debating the pros and cons of each. Since I tend to keep my devices for a long time, support is a key factor. But high on my list is ease of use, build quality and voice quality - it is,after all, a phone!

Both definitely fit that. Good luck!

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
@NiT - if you have a deal for an alternative device (like the 5s or a rockstar Android phone) like you mentioned earlier, I'd love to hear about it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon