Updating worth while?

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a (no joke) 8GB Nexus 7 (2012) that has been working well for me for almost 2 years now. I got a 2 year extended service contract just 'in case' but mainly if the battery didn't last. It very well may be that if I take my tablet in for having the battery replaced, I will instead receive a 16GB model because those are in stock and the company generally swaps these out instead of downtime shipping to Google and back etc.

Are there any advantages to this minor an 'update'? Even though I don't have lots of apps I will still need to backup data and make notes about which apps I really do want to reinstall etc. So far my battery life seems pretty good so what would you say to doing this - just because - the service contract is a month or so away from dying.

Thanks for all feedback. :confused:

Last edited:

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Please excuse the slow reply (and thank you too). It seems that I remain a 'droid dummy in that I can't even find the 'update' settings/access for my tablet! It would be comforting to be able to at least see what my tablet is 'at' OS wise and options to update auto or by choice. Not sure now if I can get an 'replacement' tablet as mine remains in excellent working - albeit very down level - working order. Guess I would be better off if I had dropped it or let it crash (low battery) instead of taking so good care of it. (irony) :( Oh well at least it does work. Hope it doesn't die right after the warranty expires!

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh silly me, I did find the updates under About Tablet in System. Yikes, looks like I'm running on 4.2. Which brings up another question - when I go to System Updates, it wants to go to 4.3. Can I (and how) instead go to 4.4.4 which you recommend? And being cautious - if I do the Restart & Install, will that kill all the data that is on the tablet? So much I don't know :( and THANKS for helping me clue in.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If your device is multiple updates behind, then it should know to go in the correct sequence. So do the first update, and then when it restarts after the update is done, go back to Settings>About Tablet>System Updates, and Check for Updates again. It should then notify you of the next update. Keep doing this until you no longer get notifications.

System Updates will not erase any of your personal data, but it is a good reminder to make sure your important data is synced to your Google account, or otherwise backed up somewhere else.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Again, many thanks for your informed reply B. Diddy! It is most assuring to have such knowledgeable feedback before I proceed. Backing up data is something I dread with my tablet since its not just a matter of downloading via the 'SDCARD' - which I would prefer. Google seems to have locked in use of its cloud storage - not to my liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol