Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi only model came back from repair with mobile signal in notification bar

christensen42101

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
So I sent my Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi only model in for a warranty covered repair. It comes back with a work order stating that they replaced the mother board and the charging port. When I turn it on, I find a mobile signal indicator in the notification area by the clock. The indicator is just an empty triangle. There are corresponding mobile data options in the menus. Is there any way to tell if I have mobile data hardware in the device? Otherwise, do I have a Wifi only model that the tech mistakenly installed the Android OS for a mobile capable device on? If I side load a non-mobile Android operating system, whether 4.4.4 or 5.0, could it do any damage such as bricking the tablet? Don't like that the tablet now has something on it that it didn't have originally, especially since I don't have any intention of using mobile data, nor does the tablet have a sim card tray. Thanks for any ideas!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to tell if I have mobile data hardware in the device?
By checking the serial number of the motherboard with the mabufacturer (ASUS in this case, so good luck).

Otherwise, do I have a Wifi only model that the tech mistakenly installed the Android OS for a mobile capable device on?
The later versions (introduced in October, 2012, included H+ connectivity and 32GB of storage - you may have gotten one of those motherboards.

If I side load a non-mobile Android operating system, whether 4.4.4 or 5.0, could it do any damage such as bricking the tablet?
Check with the devs on the Nexus 7 2012 forum on XDA - some of them have probably tried updating that board already, and will know if the standard "Nexus 7 2012" ROMs work on it or you need something different for the cellular version.

Don't like that the tablet now has something on it that it didn't have originally, especially since I don't have any intention of using mobile data, nor does the tablet have a sim card tray.
You've probably gained storage, though.

christensen42101

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your answers! It was purchased as a 32Gb model back towards the end of 2012. However it never had any mobile information on it until now. I'll try the XDA forum though. Thanks again!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams