Is something wrong with my google nexus 7 2012 power button cable

Venkat Venkatesh

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a Google Nexus 7 2012 16GB WiFi Only tablet (Lollipop 5.0 OTA updated in November 2014) which started behaving strangely all of a sudden. On pressing the power key the display comes up and goes blank again. I switched off the device by holding the power button (long enough to switch off the device) and when I switched on ... the Google Logo comes up ... then after 3 seconds the tablet restarts again into an infinite loop. I finally had to remove the battery to switch off the device.

I bought this device in US (sometime in October 2012) so I am out of warranty. The Google/ASUS Service here in India is not that encouraging for me to carry an out of warranty item for repair. I was not sure about whether it is a hardware or software issue and I was well aware of the risks involved in flashing the device software so I kept this as the last option (I can't afford the ASUS/Google's expensive service pricing model).

I opened the device and checked the power button cable which I thought would be first to suspect. I have pasted the image of my nexus 7 power button connector pins and also mentioned what I found using a continuity tester. So can someone tell me if the connections are OK or NOT.

Thank you in advance for your advice and help.
Venkat

nexus-7-cable-continuity.jpg

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
First off, there's a different forum section for the 2012 model. I've reported to post to see about getting it moved over there. Folks in this section may help, but it's always nice to have things in the right section.

I would expect that since the button responds to you, it's *probably* seated correctly, and the issue is something else.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be worth trying a replacement battery. You can find them pretty easily online, and you've already become familiar with popping the back off the unit.

Venkat Venkatesh

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Diddy, I checked the voltages on the battery (both pairs of red and black wires) it reads as 4.07 volts. I also borrowed my friends working and fully charged nexus 7 2012 battery and tried it on this until ... but still does not work same problem of restarting to Google Logo infinitely. Can anybody post the pin out of a working power button cable/socket so I can then rule out power button socket/cable issue here and move on to any other possible advice from you.