Facebook causing trouble in 5.0.2??

nd7p

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Got 5.0.2 OTA yesterday. Initially all looked good, until I started Facebook. It took >1 minute to start, and was very laggy after it did. Also took >1 minute to shut down. After shutdown, everything on the tablet was very laggy. I forced stop Facebook and then the tablet's response was good. I started Facebook to test this again and had the same result. I then uninstalled Facebook and restarted, and then the N7's performance was good. Anyone else seen this?

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes, myself and others on the forum have experienced the same thing. The only solution appears to be to access Facebook via the browser on your tablet.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced problems with FB also, moreso on my Note 4 running Kitkat 4.4.4 than my Nexus 7 (2013) running 5.0.1. I've experienced the same problems with earlier operating systems on other devices, as well. I believe the problem is with Facebook and I've made reports to them about it. So I wouldn't assume it's a Lollipop problem, but a Facebook one.

bldrgn2043

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi I have a rooted 2012 nexus 7 running 5.0.2 and i'm using clean master's autostart manager to save memory. My nexus runs almost like Kitkat in loading time. I have found out all the lag if because the 2012 model only has 1GB of ram and with apps auto starting and running in the background it eats nearly all the ram. It takes me about 10 seconds to open and fully load facebook.

Wynnsman

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I factory reset mine last night, Facebook dosn't seem to be the problem now. Lets see how long it lasts though.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Facebook sucks badly on 5 / 5.0.2 in my experience, even after I did a Factory Reset (which, admittedly, is a chore I vowed I would never do. But I digress)

Noted by barthawk above, I have also joined those using Facebook thru a browser - though that offers its own challenges as Chrome has its own issues with 5 (not as bad in 5.0.2, but hardly a great experience) - and that, by using the m.facebook.com site, rather than facebook.com view. Added a shortcut to it via 'Add to Homescreen' in Chrome. Additional benefit of the browser route is that you regain full access to Messages without needing an additional app.

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
@Bazza1:

Although I do have the Facebook app installed and functioning, they do get the tablet lagging at times so I have to close it and re-open it. I have recently taken to using the m.facebook site (via Chrome) as you suggested and I am beginning to prefer it to the pig app anyway. I am trying to minimize my use of separate apps for things like BBC News and AC and instead use their mobile sites via Chrome. I have done the tweak to Chrome in the article linked below with RAM set at the 256k setting with good results.

Speed Up Chrome for Android with this Settings Tweak

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
@Bazza1:
...I have done the tweak to Chrome in the article linked below with RAM set at the 256k setting with good results.
Speed Up Chrome for Android with this Settings Tweak

I had seen reference to that tweak before and forgot to do anything about it. Thanks for the reminder. Not sure if I'm really seeing a difference or I'm willing it to be so, but hey, anything that might fix Google's Android software in a boon. Now if only we could manually do the same to the whole OS without going completely geek...

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Facebook Lite?

http://www.androidcentral.com/facebook-lite-small-fast-and-made-just-emerging-markets

Links to apk download are in the comment section.

I went ahead and installed it. Scrolling is stuttery on both my tablet and my Nexus 5 but it works. Full message functionality including share in private message and push notifications. Also the menu bar is static unlike the mobile site where you must scroll to the top to access the menu.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87