Got the notification yesterday that the 5.0.2 update was ready to be installed. Was running the latest kitkat with no issues. Did a factory reset, installed the update, installed my apps, did a cache wipe, and everything seemed to be ok. Then the issues started. Facebook froze on loading, then seemed to correct itself. Angry birds Transformers crashed on opening. Firefox started freezing up causing the tablet to reboot itself several times. Rebooting is now taking three minutes where before it took maybe one. Now suddenly the battery is draining fast and the new system says it's going to take 4.5 hours to recharge. Never had this tablet take more than an hour/hour and a half to charge.

Looks like I've got to revert back to KitKat. This new update has just made the tablet run terrible.
    01-16-2015 01:50 PM
    Wow you give it no time to calibrate(up to a week) or even develop a battery history(at least 4-5 full charge cycles) and already judging it dysfunctional. Did you even check to see if the apps your trying are 5.0.2 ready?
    01-16-2015 02:14 PM
    Have never heard of a battery history. Why would I let the tablet run terribly for a week before reverting to a stable build? On KitKat it worked perfectly, it seems to hate lollipop. I'm not liking it much myself. Planning on reverting later tonight when it finally recharges.

Forgot to add the batter drained from 65% to 14% while in sleep mode over the course of five hours. It's never done that before.
    01-16-2015 02:26 PM
    I suggest learning more about the Android OS. Because atm your clueless and judging things when you know so little about the subject matter will just fail. Or maybe consider iOS since knowing whats going on is not really needed by the user just the ability to hand over more cash.
    01-16-2015 03:29 PM
    I suggest learning more about the Android OS. Because atm your clueless and judging things when you know so little about the subject matter will just fail. Or maybe consider iOS since knowing whats going on is not really needed by the user just the ability to hand over more cash.
    Your suggestions were good, but your responses were a bit harsh. If a person doesn't know, guide them, don't hit them over the head and treat them like they're stupid. If the person doesn't like your suggestion, that's on them. All you can do is suggest.
    01-16-2015 03:58 PM
    I have no need to learn more. I Know KitKat runs very well on my tablet. After having lollipop 5.0.2 on it for a full day it runs terrible. That's all I really need to know. If it's making apps sluggish, apps crash or freeze, causes battery drain and slow recharge, and makes the tablet reboot itself plus slow loading up, then it's not good. Already reverted back to KitKat, and my tablet is running smoothly again. Firefox isn't crashing or freezing, games are working smoothly again too. Lollipop is just terrible.

Non-hardware performance related, I also Really dislike the notification bar/system tray redesign in lollipop, so having the old way back is a blessing in itself.
    01-16-2015 05:13 PM
    I decided to stick with kitkat also, but my sister went with 5.0.2 and wants to revert to kitkit. Can you please direct me to a link that explains how to do that, and in simple terms, please? I'm pretty good at taking care of PC's, but not tablets.
    Thanks in advance.

Edit to add: We both have N7 2012 WiFi.
    01-17-2015 10:29 AM
    I don't have a link, but do a search for the wugfresh nexus root toolkit. That's what I used, and it's very easy to use. It will download what you need to your PC, and guide you itself. Took me, after backing up the things I wanted to keep, like pictures, about ten minutes to revert back to KitKat.
    Basically the program detects your tablet, downloads the android version you want, let's you unlock your tablet so it can flash the android version you want, then let's you relock it once its done. You lose everything on the tablet though, so got to back up what personal stuff you want to keep. I use Mega cloud storage for that, it gives you 50gb of free storage.
    01-18-2015 06:25 AM
    5.0.2 is a sloppy patch to an even sloppier OS update to 'new' Android version. Sorry, not the sort of opinion you need to hear now that you've installed it.

I had installed the OTA 5 when offered and the result was painful and not far off being unworkable. First off, Facebook, Firefox and even their own Chrome had significant issues with the OS - crashes, or worse, losing all control over the device, not uncommon. In an effort to gain some control, I ditched the browsers for Dolphin, which seemed to work fine, and then replaced the Facebook app with m.facebook.com in the browser.

5.0.2 arrived and it seemed to add some instability to Dolphin while regaining some control in Chrome. Back to Chrome for now, with a Homepage shortcut to m.facebook.com, as Facebook app still very dodgy. Still hardly a fluid overall experience - even after a Full Factory Reset and a rebuild of my apps - but at least I can use the device without the recurring wish to use it as a Frisbee.

The OS does seem to become more stable with use, though that have more to do with stuff remaining open and in cache that any true improvement in the product itself. There's a rumour / promise / threat of OS 5.1 in February to 'fix' the issues, but given the recent roll-outs to date, you may wish to hold on that, too.
    barthawk and Seronac like this.
    01-18-2015 07:53 AM
    at least I can use the device without the recurring wish to use it as a Frisbee.
    This was my step-son's response to how terrible 5.0 runs on his N7 (2012) that I handed down to him. Updated it was terrible. Factory reset after the update - only slightly less terrible. The only thing keeping me from downgrading it for him is he hates having to re-install and setup all his games again. Some aren't linked to Google Play Games so those ones he looses all the game data and has to start again. It's sat pretty much unused for a couple weeks now....

Almost tempted to go back to 4.1. From what I remember the tablet seemed quite good on that version.
    Bazza1 likes this.
    01-18-2015 09:51 AM
    Thank you, I'm going to see if she wants to give it a shot or not. Hers is usable but buggy.
    01-18-2015 10:09 AM
    The images and instructions are at:
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    But the wugfresh toolkit would probably be easier, although you'll still need to download the appropriate image, but I think the toolkit will do it for you.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-19-2015 12:39 PM
    5.0.2 is a sloppy patch to an even sloppier OS update to 'new' Android version.
    Well said, sir.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Bazza1 likes this.
    01-19-2015 12:43 PM
    This new version is junk. It has made my tablet a paperweight. I will be returning to KitKat. Waiting for it to work is ridiculous. I'm an engineer and if i introduced something like this at work I would be terminated and rightly so. Thanks for the easy fix suggestion. Dont put 5.0.2 if you can avoid it.
    01-23-2015 08:25 PM
    I just updated my Nexus 7 (2012, Wi-Fi Only) from KitKat version to 5.0.2 without having read or heard about problems others are reporting.... Now, how I wish I had not done the update! Having said that, my Nexus 7 is not showing all of the problems I'm reading here and elsewhere posted by those who updated to 5.0.2. Here are the problems "bugging" me and which started as soon as I did the update:

* Apps that have a "live TV" component requiring a log-in via my cable TV provider account crash whenever I click on an app's "live TV" link/feature. I have 4 such apps on my Nexus 7. A good example is the TCM (old movies) app that allows me to stream movies on my Nexus 7, courtesy of my cable TV provider. The app loads OK but when I try to load/stream a video, the app crashes. The same thing now happens with 2 of the other 3 such apps. Weirdly, 1 of the 4 such apps (Encore movie app) that streams movies, after I log in using my cable TV provider account, still continues to work OK after my updating to 5.0.2. (NOTE: I also have an Android phone and these particular apps with a "live TV" feature work fine on it. So, I'm pretty sure that this problem on my Nexus 7 is tied into updating to 5.0.2, which isn't on my phone.)

* May be my imagination, but I too seem to notice the Nexus 7 is now running a bit more sluggish. Also, I think the battery seems to run down faster too.
    01-24-2015 12:55 PM