Dump app cache and data?

baub11

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2012 Nexus 7 32gb, wifi only and it is rooted with kitkat still loaded.

Is there a way I can dump the cache and data of an app so I can safe the files and analyze off-line? To be clear, when I say "dump the cache and data" what I mean is I want to save the same data that is cleared from the app info screen when "clear data" and "clear cache".

Is there an app or set of commands I can run to do this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The cache is in the form of data with no reference - IOW, you may see 12.345 (in binary form), but only the app knows what it refers to. Next time you run the app, that value may be in a different place in the cache.

The data that's human-readable is usually the data you can save from within the app - the other data is normally readable only by the app.

In any case, unless you have the source code to the app, almost all of the data is going to be completely useless to you. But you can run dd if you can find where the data is and write it to a file. (The app will save the cache data wherever it gets storage allocated when it requests it, which can be different on each run.)

(dd is a Linux command, so you'll have to run it from a terminal app or from adb.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton