The Nexus 7 (2012) Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Good update but once in a while the tablet will begin to crawl, especially while updating apps in the background. I think the hardware is beginning to show its age.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
5.1 OTA install here (including the 'optimizing' of apps already on my N7, whatever that meant) and a number of Updates waiting for me on the Store after that. A couple of hard reboots and use of CCleaner since and it seems okay - but hard to gauge whether its actually running any faster / better or I'm just willing it to be so. And I haven't yet opened / used every app I have on it to see how they work, so...

As for the Facebook app, I deleted it after the original and catastrophic 5 install, which also borked my Chrome browser. Went to using Dolphin as my browser and m.facebook.com to access my stuff there - with the added bonus of regaining Messages again without a separate app.
Chrome has stabilized (somewhat) on 5.0.2 - and now 5.1 - and I have since placed shortcuts from it to Facebook on my Home Page. Still prefer Dolphin as my regular browser, though.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Good update but once in a while the tablet will begin to crawl, especially while updating apps in the background. I think the hardware is beginning to show its age.

+1 to this. Can't do much of anything on the N7 2012 while an app is updating. That isn't the case on any of my other devices (Moto X, N7 2013 or N10).

DWolf1231

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Update from my previous post: clearing data on Play Music again seems to have done the trick. Haven't had to reboot though, so we'll see if that lasts.

I echo the poster who said that it crawls during background updates many times. I try to have it update and then let it sit for a few minutes, but sometimes it catches me off guard.

I have a nexus 7 2012 I just recently unlocked the bootloader and rooted or , will I have to unroot/relock it before I update my tablet?

You'll have to flash it yourself unless you unroot. Locked/unlocked bootloader makes no difference for getting the OTA, but root does.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
In addition to the other problems I mentioned earlier in the thread, my wife is also really noticing problems with the wifi dropping out constantly. This is on both her N7-2012 and her Nexus 5, both running 5.1. I was playing around with the 7 over the weekend and witnessed it. The full bars will drop to one when you try to load a web page then it will sit there until you cancel the action. The indicator will show full bars again and if you try to reload the page it may be fine or it may repeat. I even tried it right next to the router and got the same thing. I don't suspect there's anything wrong with the router as I'm not seeing this with my Droid Turbo on 4.4.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It is very strange that people have had such different experiences using 5.1. I did the flash factory images followed by a factory data reset and set everything back up fresh. My N7 is running really well, fast and good battery life. I never installed Facebook, but do use Chrome.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
in most cases I think it has to do with third party apps being reinstalled and in conflict with the system. Otherwise, it could be from the dirty flash/install. Although some say they clear cache & factory reset with problems still occurring.
All I can say is I also have two N7's running 5.1 - one I flashed manually & one I let accept the OTA. Both are running fine. Neither have FB or much else on the way of third party apps installed. Yahoo mail, ebay, PayPal & a couple extra google apps.....

TechMike

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
My wife has a N7 2012, with 5.0 thru 5.0.2 it was very sluggish. Facebook, email, games, ... Some crashes.
I had done a factory reset, loaded 5.0 & reloaded all aps after 5.0 OTA install
With the 5.1 update she says it's very good now. Back to how it was before the initial Lollipop update.

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Update from previous post... Been back on 4.4.4kk for over a week and not looking back (or ahead) at 5.1L...nothing against it, no ace to grind - just happy with what works for me.

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Updated to 5.1.
No issues so far. It seems pretty fast.
I was hoping we would get dark theme with 5.1, but we didn't.

I've had 5.0, 5.02, and now 5.1.
Every version of lolipop has gotten better.
I still need to check charging time, and battery life.
Seems to be discharging at the normal rate.

I doubt that the battery life is going to be better then Kitkat, but we will see.

bpricems

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I was suffering from a lot of issues after lollipop and 5.1 didn't seem to improve anything. After some tinkering with different settings, I deactivated Trust Go security app and a performance improvement was noted. Kit Kat never gave me issues like Lollipop but the hardware on the 2012 Nexus 7 must be part of the issue. It's struggling to keep up with all the software changes.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've given up on Lollipop for my N7. It was still lagging and I had enough. I've gone to CyanogenMod. Since I was at 5.1 it was necessary to use Wugfresh to load an older version of Android so the installer would work. It was an interesting process but worth it. My N7 is back to what it was before.

delthor7

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
When you're the tech person in the household, it's frustrating trying various fixes without success, while defending the product and OS to the user you're trying to help. Resetting, uninstalling, reinstalling, cache wiping, factory resetting, testing, forum reading, and more testing... It's getting old. I don't want to root because I'm sure I'll still have to do more testing and explain to the user why something may not work. I know the N7 is showing it's age and other users are having success (like another N7 in my household), but I'm just frustrated. Time to buy the user a new product. Anyone else feel me?

delthor7

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I replaced it with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5. Just put Google Now launcher on there. I'm pretty sure I won't hear complaints from the user in my household about lag. The N7 will be passed on to a very light user after factory reset. Still love the N7. Hope it gets better with future updates. Good luck everyone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay