I am seriously ticked off at Google for basically "bricking" my Nexus 7!

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
So a while back, I had a perfectly good, nicely running Nexus 7 (2012) and I was very happy with it. Then, I accepted an offer on my Nexus to "upgrade" to Android 5, which I foolishly took. This so-called upgrade has basically rendered my perfectly useable tablet into a psychotic machine with a will of it's own that seeming gets it's arse kicked by various random web pages which in turn causes it to be USELESS until I reboot the damn thing. Applications that once ran fine and dandy now refuse to run at all and (like Chrome) lock my once beloved Nexus up tighter than a school marm at church.

Now, I am a SQL Server admin and web programmer (and former client-server application engineer) by trade, so I CAN get into the weeds on my Nexus but on my time after work, I just wanted to use it -- not be forced to rebuild it! Yes, I've restored factory defaults and rebuilt from scratch and yes, I've deleted system cache umpteen times -- all in futility as my Nexus now sneers at me instead of making me smile.

So now after years of preaching the virtues of the Google-Android ecosystem to my Apple-centric friends and family, I am forced to either undertake an Android developer style rebuild effort to restore Kit-Kat 4.4.4, or spend BIG $$$ on a Nexus 9 and hope Google doesn't back-door me yet again down the road, or worse - chuck the whole friggin' she-bang for (gasp!) what I once considered an inferior iPad iOS8 device on principal alone.

Damn am I ever pissed off, mostly because Google simple won't own up to their own folly and offer the many people like me who got screwed an elegant way back to Kit-Kat 4.4.4 -- without having to learn Android coding techniques in their precious spare time.

:mad:
/rant

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Have you tried reflashing the stock images by either using ADB or a toolkit like Wugfresh? Either method will wipe the device, so back up anything important.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: I am seriously ticked off at Google for basically "bricking" my Nexus 7!

If you have warranty /extended warranty on it then it should be covered.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to the forums. Have you tried reflashing the stock images by either using ADB or a toolkit like Wugfresh? Either method will wipe the device, so back up anything important.

Wiping is not a problem (well, it is but what choice have I?), but taking the time and trouble to learn how is sort of really the cruxt of this to me. I guess I will do that because I am being left little choice, but as I said -- I just wanted to and had been able to simply enjoy the stock device until they eff'd it with Android 5 and no way back. I appreciate your input though and I am sorry if my post(s) here seem confrontational really -- it's kind of a "principal of the situation" thing for me. As a professional coder, I don't screw my customers and then go radio silent as they struggle with my inflicted wounds. This is basically what Google is doing to me and today, I guess I'd had enough. So my apologies to you and all for my attitude at present -- I am usually really easy to get along with lol.

If you have warranty /extended warranty on it then it should be covered.

Nope, no extended warranty I am afraid. But honestly, I feel like if the manufacturer CAUSES the problem, then they ought fix it gratis anyway.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am sorry if my post(s) here seem confrontational really

No worries. I didn't take it as such. More frustration really. Wugfresh is really, really easy. Everything is scripted, so all you do is plug in your device, set up the UI window for what you want to do and click start. Since you are an IT guy, you might actually have some fun with ADB. Goes back to command line programs, like DOS.

I forced 5.1 on my N5 yesterday with Wugfresh. Took about 15 minutes. Probably not even that; took about as long for the program to get the file as it did to flash it.

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site

No worries. I didn't take it as such. More frustration really. Wugfresh is really, really easy. Everything is scripted, so all you do is plug in your device, set up the UI window for what you want to do and click start. Since you are an IT guy, you might actually have some fun with ADB. Goes back to command line programs, like DOS.

I forced 5.1 on my N5 yesterday with Wugfresh. Took about 15 minutes. Probably not even that; took about as long for the program to get the file as it did to flash it.

Well, my SQL admin hat (about 85-95% of my time) is basically a LOT of scripts and yeah, I still remember DOS fondly lol. Back when I was a REAL UI programmer instead of a glorified widget re-arranger (we use Bootstrap lol) as I am now.

Maybe I need to look at this differently now...they've already eff'd my tablet, so "voiding the warranty" hassles are moot anyway. Might as well give it a go. This Wugfresh, where might I find it? I am wondering if the new 5.1 release will fix the memory leakage I am experiencing, or should I just go back to KK 4.4.4? And thoughts on that by chance? Oh, and the only computer I have unfettered access to is a Windows 7 box that is purpose built for music production use (I am also a hobbyist music producer and long time guitarist) and I REALLY don't want to clog up my machine with other bric-a-brac...will the Android Developer SDK and/or this Wugfresh tread lightly on my machine and be completely unobtrusive when I am not using it? If not, is there a viable uninstall? Sorry for so many questions ;)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Well, my SQL admin hat (about 85-95% of my time) is basically a LOT of scripts and yeah, I still remember DOS fondly lol. Back when I was a REAL UI programmer instead of a glorified widget re-arranger (we use Bootstrap lol) as I am now.

Maybe I need to look at this differently now...they've already eff'd my tablet, so "voiding the warranty" hassles are moot anyway. Might as well give it a go. This Wugfresh, where might I find it? I am wondering if the new 5.1 release will fix the memory leakage I am experiencing, or should I just go back to KK 4.4.4? And thoughts on that by chance? Oh, and the only computer I have unfettered access to is a Windows 7 box that is purpose built for music production use (I am also a hobbyist music producer and long time guitarist) and I REALLY don't want to clog up my machine with other bric-a-brac...will the Android Developer SDK and/or this Wugfresh tread lightly on my machine and be completely unobtrusive when I am not using it? If not, is there a viable uninstall? Sorry for so many questions ;)

Here is where I got wugfresh: [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v2.04 [Up… | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums
Pretty active on XDA.
Windows 7...probably the best Windows OS to use. 8 is just a cluster for using any kind of driver/hacking for anything non Windows. (I am ready to install some kind of Linux on my HP...I love Windows 8 so much right now.../sarcasm)

I can't remember how 'heavy' Wugfresh is. If I had to guess...a few hundred MB. Probably not even that. Android SDK...very heavy. About 4 GB easily.

5.1 does address the memory leak. As for which OS to stick to....I am not sure. My N5 can't be a daily driver...I damaged the SIM card pins, and my M8 I can't update to 5.0+ due to a bootloader incompatibility (can't figure out which files I need, and any mistake I make I am out my only working phone). So I can only play with the N5 when I am home. 5.1 isn't bad; a lot of changes to get used to, but it's not bad. Honestly, I would say update the tab to 5. Give yourself a device to get used to the OS, so that when you get a phone that comes preinstalled with 5, it isn't such a shock.

I think I got all your questions. If I missed any, let me know.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Wiping is not a problem (well, it is but what choice have I?), but taking the time and trouble to learn how is sort of really the cruxt of this to me. I guess I will do that because I am being left little choice, but as I said -- I just wanted to and had been able to simply enjoy the stock device until they eff'd it with Android 5 and no way back. I appreciate your input though and I am sorry if my post(s) here seem confrontational really -- it's kind of a "principal of the situation" thing for me. As a professional coder, I don't screw my customers and then go radio silent as they struggle with my inflicted wounds. This is basically what Google is doing to me and today, I guess I'd had enough. So my apologies to you and all for my attitude at present -- I am usually really easy to get along with lol.

Nope, no extended warranty I am afraid. But honestly, I feel like if the manufacturer CAUSES the problem, then they ought fix it gratis anyway.
While I agree with you that they should, unfortunately they do not. Whenever I update my old Verizon devices, I activate it on my line, so any problems with the update can be covered under the extended warranty on my primary line. I know it doesn't help you here but food for thought for the future. I have had an old phone replaced under extended warranty due to update issues. The Verizon extended warranty covers the active device at time of peril

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks...I guess tonight I dive deep into Android land then...Lollipop is an epic fail on my tablet anyway, so I might as well give it a go. If it doesn't work out, it'll make as great a door stop as it is now anyway.

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks...I guess tonight I dive deep into Android land then...Lollipop is an epic fail on my tablet anyway, so I might as well give it a go. If it doesn't work out, it'll make as great a door stop as it is now anyway.

OK, update: Just downloaded Java 8 JDK, Android Studio and the Google USB driver. Followed a good YouTube video outlining the process. Successfully downgraded to Kit Kat 4.4.4 and all looks good. Time will tell, but now that I have these tools and a passing knowledge of how to flash my OS, I may well try 5.1 in the next few days as well. Thanks to all who helped me out here, and I feel like a long lost tool was just returned to me!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks to all who helped me out here
I just wish I was more proficient with ADB. I don't understand it well enough to explain it, and sometimes, I get lost when going over something in detail with it.

Glad you got it working though. If you'd like, You can write up a thread on what you did and how you did it. i am sure other people would be interested in this sort of thing.

See you around the forums.

SiberianKhatru59

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site

I just wish I was more proficient with ADB. I don't understand it well enough to explain it, and sometimes, I get lost when going over something in detail with it.

Glad you got it working though. If you'd like, You can write up a thread on what you did and how you did it. i am sure other people would be interested in this sort of thing.

See you around the forums.
I may do just that today. It wasn't all that hard really, especially if you have any programming experience at all. That Wugfresh looks interesting too, and the authors have obviously put in some effort to make things easy. Props to them for that!

I also downloaded Lollipop 5.1, but I seriously think my original Nexus 7 is just not up to task there. Kit Kat has always run smooth as silk by contrast. I am also looking at some of the custom ROMS too.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am also looking at some of the custom ROMS too.

Slim makes ROMs, and they are much more often than not very smooth and stable for customs. In my experience, Slim's 'unstable nightlies' are much more stable than most other developers 'stable' builds. The ones I have used are: CarbonROM, Cyanogen, Liquidsmooth, Slim (obviously), ParanoidAndroid, and AOKP. All of them, with maybe the exception of Paranoid should support the Nexus.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I think the best thing to make the nexus 7 2012 semi usable is to switch to a rom that employs "f2fs" file structure.

From what I understand, Asus used some cheap memory in the N7, and that is the biggest source of the slow downs. The file structure "f2fs" minimizes the impact of the cheap memory.

It is a pain to convert, because you have to reformat the memory to the new file system, and flash the recovery i after reformatting of the formatting for system conversion, and then flash the rom, but I think it is worth it.