My Nexus 7 is dead, no OS or bootloader, computer recognizes it as APX, What has happened?

nativeone327

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 7 is dead, no os or bootloader, computer reconizes it as APX

My nexus 7 is dead no OS and boot-loader is gone, the computer only recognizes my nexus as Asus transformer Prime APX Interface under device manager, tried to install correct drivers to get windows 7 to recognize and use nexus root toolkit, no luck. My problems began when using SDK tools, got to the flashing of the stock image to nexus and it failed and crashed, nexus wont turn on, if I hold down on power and down button the computer only see this as APX. I called Asus, warranty is out, and cost is 200.00 to fix, if I send it in. Do I have any options to fix it myself or are there any ways of getting the computer to reconize the nexus, so I can reinstall all through nexus toolkit? I have a OTG cable and flash drive as an option also, any help would be very much Appreciated!!!! Thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Nexus 7 is dead, no os or bootloader, computer reconizes it as APX

Do I have any options to fix it myself
JTAG a system to it. The JTAG equipment will cost you more than the $200 repair cost, but if you do it again, the repair is 5 minutes of your time, no money.

You can probably find a JTAG service that does the N7 for less than $200 including shipping both ways (I've seen prices like $21 on eBay for some services, but that's for one time, so you have to decide it you want to be able to "wake the dead" any time you need to - but for a larger initial investment - or pay less for one shot.)

or are there any ways of getting the computer to reconize the nexus, so I can reinstall all through nexus toolkit? I have a OTG cable and flash drive as an option also, any help would be very much Appreciated!!!! Thank you
You have a computer with no keyboard input, no USB ports and no video output. It's deaf and blind. You have to talk to the motherboard directly. A JTAG device does that. (So does a hardware debugger that plugs into a PC motherboard at the CPU socket - same thing.)

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: My Nexus 7 is dead, no os or bootloader, computer reconizes it as APX

Order a motherboard on ebay... cost is anywhere from 15 - 35 bucks.... Open the thing and replace.... took me 15 minutes to do it... I had the same issue that you did... It was the flash storage that went bad.... Asus wanted 100 bucks to look at it....

I installed new boards.... all is good...