Will 5.1.1 be the last update for the 2012 model?

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Will 5.1.1 be the last update for this model? I read some places in searching that its rumored to be end of life lollipop since M is coming out. But is 5.1.1 the last update for the 2012 model? Or will we possibly see a 5.1.2 or whatever?

I ask because I'm getting a used unit from someone and if 5.1.1 is the last update, I may move on to cm 12.1 or keep it stock and just root it. Not sure yet.

I don't want to deal with having to unroot it etc to flash a new update if I don't have to. Thanks!

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think Jerry said it best that devices like these are past their 18 month time frame so any update should be thought of as the last. But if Google decides to send another update then be grateful.

At the same time I would add that lollipop has made, what seems, many Nexus 7 (2012) owners unhappy. Myself included.

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I read some people seemed upset with the update and some liked it. I am going to make sure it has 5.1.1 once I get it and then do a factory reset and see how I like it. If it seems to sluggish, I'll probably flash omnirom 4.4.4 final on it. Had good success with that rom being close to stock on my other devices and running smooth. But I'd prefer lollipop if it runs ok for me.

Getting the tablet for $40 from a local seller off craigslist, so it should hopefully prove a good spare device to tinker with for me.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's possible Google will give the N7 the Android M treatment...
I was pleasantly surprised to see Lollipop & enjoyed 5.1.1 on my N7's
I give it a 50/50 chance that you'll see M on the 2012 N7 (you never know Google might be feeling generous :) - it really depends on if the hardware will support M @ release and I'm guessing it will).

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think you would be better off putting the $40 toward a different tablet . The 2012 N7 used bad memory modules, and no amount of reverting to older or modified versions of Android can change that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you would be better off putting the $40 toward a different tablet . The 2012 N7 used bad memory modules, and no amount of reverting to older or modified versions of Android can change that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

This is true, but I can say I got 2 years out of both mine. The only problem there is buying a used one, you don't know how old it is and how much time it has left befor the flash memory fries...

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
doesn't really matter what updates they continue to push. it's not in the time window they give to devices aka lifespan for updates. besides, lollipop on the nexus 7 is, as widely documented, terrible. 5.1.1 is somewhat better than 5.0.2, but 4. 4.4 is absolutely fine on it. currently typing this on one I've had since August 2012, running official 4.4.4 kitkat, works just fine. if M performs the same or better or isn't completely unusable like lollipop is, then I will update it to that. but again, only if the performance is not a complete train wreck.

Posted via the Android Central App

Graham Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd like the N7 (2012) to get the latest tweak to 5.1.1 that's recently appeared for the 2013 model (just for the WiFi-only version so far) - build no. LMY48G as opposed to the LMY47V that the 2012 versions have got. Beyond that? I really can't see Google bothering to release Android M for a 3-year-old device with only 1GB RAM.

By the way, do ALL N7 2012's have bad memory modules? Mine's the 3G version, which didn't come out until several months after the WiFi-only version. I'm wondering if Google/ASUS learned anything in those months. While it's slow to boot up, my N7 is quite usable on 5.1.1. My biggest problem is that it often can't re-establish a 3G signal after a break, e.g. a trip on the London underground. This wasn't a problem before Android 5.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's a safe bet they used the same memory modules, out of my 2 2012 nexus7 one of them sufferered the flash memory death. I simply removed the motherboard and bought a replacement for 15 bucks on eBay and she was back up and running like a champ

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I got the tablet for $40 and its working ok for me so far on 5.1.1. I used fastboot and install a fresh copy from the factory image and cleared all cache/data etc.

Its running smooth so far and the only complaint I have so far is that the screen has a few spots of a yellowish tint on the edges. But for $40 it works ok for me as a spare device. I did notice is charging slow on occasion, and I did some searching and took it apart and reseated the usb cable. It seemed to help a bit. It only charges at about 400-500mah if the screen is lit up. Tried many charges from 1a-2a and same results. I plan to solder in a Qi charger to test, as I prefer this charging method. Not sure if it will draw enough mah that way, but I'm going to try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki