Getting rid of Teamwin Recovery, Updating to Android Lollipop?

CreepyWolf

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
My brother has a Nexus 7 2012 He has a lot of games and doesn't want to lose any progression in his games. But he wants to update to android Lollipop. When he got his tablet it came rooted with Teamwin Recovery and Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. There comes up a notification saying android KitKat I think is ready to be downloaded. However when you let it restart it boots up using Teamwin Recovery. I removed the root on it but TWR is still there which is not allowing me to update it. Some days ago I was messing around with my android phone and android/obb and such. From what I understood was that apps data are stored there. Also some people have said that doing a Factory Reset from the settings will get rid of TWR and everything. But I want to be safe that my brother doesn't loose his progression in his games cause he uses his tablet to game a lot. Will doing a Factory Reset completely remove TWR ?

Also before I do that I was thinking about using an app that saves all the data or copying android/obb files into my pc in a folder and putting them back in when it's done updating and it's running stock clean android lollipop 5.1.1 like my Nexus 7 2013 is running.

Is there any chance that the files under Android/Obb isn't gonna work since we updated from android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 to android 5.1.1 Lollipop?

Basically he wants to keep all the progress in apps but have the newest android version.

Feel free to ask any questions and all comments are appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Will doing a Factory Reset completely remove TWR ?
No. The recovery has to be overwritten.

Also before I do that I was thinking about using an app that saves all the data or copying android/obb files into my pc in a folder and putting them back
In my experience, this is rather hit and miss. Some of the better apps that save app data are usually the root ones. As I recall, Helium backs up apps without root, but I can't remember how well it works.

Is there any chance that the files under Android/Obb isn't gonna work since we updated from android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 to android 5.1.1 Lollipop?
Since the entire framework is changing, there may be a good chance this won't work.

Couple counter questions:
1. Some games have saves on their own servers. Have you tested to see which ones do by installing them on another device?
2. Google Play Games has a small hand in saving game data. Does he connect any of his games to that?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Most likely one of two ways. You can try to see if there is the stock recovery that TWRP can flash, or you can use ADB to write the stock recovery.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What flash recovery? And what is ADB?

To flash is essentially writing the system programs to the device itself. You can almost equate flash=install. ADB is short for Android Debug Bridge, which is like using terminal commands (or the command prompt in Windows) to install files, in this case, ROMs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol