Nexus 7 2012 - Back to kitkat or custom rom?

A

AC Question

So I'm looking at downgrading my 2012 Nexus 7 back to KitKat. Ever since it updated to 5.0 it's been super slow with wifi problems. It ran great on 4.x. So wondering should I downgrade to factory KitKat or is there a better custom rom you guys would recommend?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey99

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's updated to 5.1.1 and even after a factory reset, it still doesn't seem to be as good as it was before I originally updated to 5.0. Maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and buy a new tablet.

Paul Inwood

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
If you put 4.4.4 on it the tablet will run like new again for some reason nexus 7 2012 dose not like 5.1.1

Posted via the Android Central App

dw45

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I tried various custom rom's and the factory kitkat, I found slimkat the best, runs smoothly and fast no problems very happy with it now.

briancook451

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a nexus 7 2012 from a friend and it had 5.1.1 on it and it was terrible. I decided to load a custom rom and I have used cyanogenmod in the past and found 13 was unofficially available and it runs 6.0 and it runs a million times faster then it did before. I have had zero issues with it and I don't have to use SuperSu, I just use the root options built into the rom and it works well.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a nexus 7 2012 from a friend and it had 5.1.1 on it and it was terrible. I decided to load a custom rom and I have used cyanogenmod in the past and found 13 was unofficially available and it runs 6.0 and it runs a million times faster then it did before. I have had zero issues with it and I don't have to use SuperSu, I just use the root options built into the rom and it works well.
I will do that as well... For old supported devices in xda. A custom ROM is the way to go.

bhcva

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Can someone briefly explain how to load a custom rom. I have tried Nexus Root Toolkit which seem to be working, but could never get it to finish properly. Didn't brick anything. Little or no experience in this area.

Thanks, Bruce

JesG

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I bought one too some months ago AND suffering after upgrading to lolipop, I want to downgrade but can't find clear instructions that guide me step by step. I hace no experience doing that so I am afraid to do something wrong. Where I can find, thanks!!

JesG

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
If you put 4.4.4 on it the tablet will run like new again for some reason nexus 7 2012 dose not like 5.1.1

Can you recommend any webpage that have instructions on how to downgrade, found some but seems too complicate to understand. Thanks!

dw45

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I used this tutorial link at end. but ended up putting Slimkat ROM on after trying cyanogenmod, Xenon and factory kitkat, found the Slimkat worked best for me. I used the Nexus root Toolkit to unlock the boot loader. once you workout how to load custom ROMs then you will not hesitate to try a few, thats what I did.
teamandroid.com/2015/02/02/update-nexus-7-xenonhd-android-502-lollipop-custom-rom/2/

bhcva

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
@dw45 I have read some troubling reports regarding the riskiness of nandroid backups. Apparently one needs a separate app to reload a nandroid backup? I would like to make sure I've covered the bases here before trying to load the custom rom. Is nandroid the only option for making the backup?
Thanks, Bruce

dw45

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I never backed up any apps as I had made list of what I use, plus google play has a list of the apps you download. other stuff pics music books I copied to my laptop. also more info on page one on the tutorial. teamandroid.com/2015/02/02/update-nexus-7-xenonhd-android-502-lollipop-custom-rom/1/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21