Updating from Android 4.2 - HELP!

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, I've let things s-l-i-d-e and been running OK for well 3 years now. But while my faithful old Nexus 7 (8BG) works well for what I need it, its getting donkey SLOW. I timed the start up and its around 45 seconds before I get to begin using the tablet. I thought maybe its the OS and it needs to be updated? But HOW to do that? I looked in Settings and didn't find a thing related to updating. So I must be looking in the wrong place.

I've tried to search thru the posts here to find 1) HOW to update (where, steps etc.) without any joy. 2) it seems that there is a bunch of OS levels that I would have to step 'update' thru to get to whatever the most current level of OS my Nexus 7 2012 can handle. Is there a list of these somewhere that I can look at to see what I am facing?

And if I do update, would I be realistic to expect that my pokey little 2012 8GB will actually start up and run 'faster'?

Thanks for any and all insights/feedback.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>About Tablet>System Updates. Is that option available to you? If not, did you buy this device brand new, or used from someone else? If it was used, it's possible that person rooted the device and installed a custom ROM, which usually doesn't give you a System Update option.

dw45

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd be very wary of updating as the newer OS slow down and freeze some programs on the older 2012 versions, check the forum and you will see plenty trying to return to earlier OS. I myself had updated and found my Nexus getting worse and worse with each upgrade, I ended up rooting it and installing slimkat a custom OS.
I would try clearing the cache or a factory reset to clean out all the rubbish and see how it performs.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I did keep looking thru the settings and finally found Updates in About Tablet (which I think is an ODD place to stash that). I've stepped thru the updates to 5.02 level. Will see how tablet operates now. So far none of my apps or data got effected/gone. PHEW!
Thanks for your reply and help.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that you are correct dw45 - that updating = SLOWER.
OK, dunce cap on (again) - clearing cache? Where to find that? How to do it?
Dang I'm glad you all are so patient and knowledgeable too!!

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks mh1983. I wish I had been a little less quick on the draw too! I was so happy to have found how to update, that I did it :-[ and you are so right, it is slower! Guess when I get fed up enough with this, I'll back up data, and reset to 'factory' level then reload and go forth.

Perhaps this is a set up by Google to get us to 'update' to a NEW tablet/device?!? I sure would make sure that whatever I did buy wasn't BRICK slow and worth the extra $$$s that would take. I really don't use my tablet a lot, but when I do, its not neat to have to wait and wait for it to come to life. The alternative is to put it into 'sleep' mode, but that risks letting it slip into LOW battery conditions if I don't check it often enough.

Definitely going to re-think Google when replacing this in the future.

Thanks again one and all - you are such a resource.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech