Unable to copy files to Google Nexus 7

ianpwilliams

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I'm trying to transfer an MP4 file from my PC to my Google Nexus 7 (2012) tablet, but when I try to transfer the file it says "Cannot copy item - the device has either stopped responding or been disconnected", but the device is connected, switched on, and unlocked. Does anyone know why I might be getting this error? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using Windows Explorer to drag and drop? Have you tried a different USB cable? Can you transfer other files without difficulty?

How big is the file? If it's bigger than 4 GB, it might exceed the maximum filesize allowed by the system on the 2012 N7. Even though it should be using ext4 (which technically allows a 1 TB maximum filesize), my understanding is that the N7 is still limited to 4 GB files (which is the max for FAT32).

ianpwilliams

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using Windows Explorer to drag and drop? Have you tried a different USB cable? Can you transfer other files without difficulty?

How big is the file? If it's bigger than 4 GB, it might exceed the maximum filesize allowed by the system on the 2012 N7. Even though it should be using ext4 (which technically allows a 1 TB maximum filesize), my understanding is that the N7 is still limited to 4 GB files (which is the max for FAT32).

Thanks B Diddy! I've been trying to copy the files across using the "View Files" option from the automatic prompt that comes up when connecting the Nexus, so I guess that's Windows Explorer. Although the window is always blank with no folders, I would have expected to see folders in there.

I haven't tried a different USB cable (I don't think I have a spare one), although it is the one which came with the Nexus, and the Nexus is recognized when I connect it which would suggest that the cable works. I haven't tried transferring any other files yet, as it's a brand new device (I've been able to download one or two apps two it through WiFi).

The files aren't huge, they are all around 1.5GB each, and the largest is just under 1.7GB. Only 2GB of the Nexus is currently used up.

I did wonder if there might be a file transfer utility that I could download which might help to recognize the Nexus?

I also went here:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1004005

and tried downloading and installing the USD driver but it didn't seem to help. I also tried updating the driver as per those instructions but it didn't work as it said that the latest drivers were installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon and make sure MTP is selected. Then, in Windows Explorer, click on the Nexus 7 that should show up in the device list. Do you see the files now?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital