SLOW boot up

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had and continue to use my Nexus 7 tablet - 8GB - mainly for a few personal (database) Apps. The only thing that bugs the heck out of me is that this (now) takes almost 1 and a half minutes to BOOT up! I thought it was slow with I first got it, and then made the BIG MISTAKE of upgrading the OS (originally Jelly Bean) to (now) 5.0.2.

What I figure is that the newer OS levels are assuming a much higher level of GB of memory which is what is causing the drag in time to boot. I tried to search (here) on Factory Reset and couldn't find any post near what I was seeking. I'm not totally computer unfriendly, but dang if the Android OS and its set up doesn't scare the pants off of me :eek:!

If I was to reset to original factory OS (and HOW?!?), what level of OS do I stop updating at? And will resetting to Jelly Bean STOP the tablet from doing an Update NAG when I make my update setting NO (thanks!)?

If this device didn't still work soooo well for the few things I do use it for, I'd consider replacing it. However, I can't see any reason to do that when I am NOT a 'gamer' nor video watcher. About the only thing that I would use more would be camera (on back) which this downlevel device doesn't have.

I remain (respectfully :-*) a Computer Dinosaur (gal) (first computer job - 1969!)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you have an 8 GB version, that's probably a 2012 Nexus 7 (1st gen), not 2013, right? If so, I'll move this thread to the proper forum (this is the 2013 N7 forum).

The slowness probably has more to do with the memory chips than with the OS. It may be the TRIM issue -- see here for more info: Why is My Nexus 7 So Slow? 8 Ways to Speed it Up Again. Fixing it requires rooting, but it may be worth a try.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Big thanks for your reorganizing my post to the right sub-forum. It surprised me to realize that I've had this tablet at long! (since 2012)

The irony is that it was that same link - "see here for more info: Why is My Nexus 7 So Slow? 8 Ways to Speed it Up Again." that nudged me into upgrading my OS AND resulted in really really REALLY slowing boot up even more! And the thought of (re) rooting makes me want to get out a garlic necklace. That was a PAIN and I'm still not even sure if it was necessary for my tablet to operate as I need it.

All that said, I still do like using the little darling, but the SLOW booting time (currently 90-ish seconds!) reminds me more of an old XT computer than something that is 'high tech'. Not looking forward to when this tablet dies as replacing it doesn't look to be a fun thing either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the TRIM thing doesn't help, then I'm not sure if anything else will. Reflashing the stock firmware might help, but then again, if it's an issue with the memory chips themselves, it might not do anything. I experienced the same kind of slowdown with my old ASUS Transformer tablet.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
B. Diddy, I did find the - Sticky: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013) Cache Partition Wipe and will give that a try first. If that doesn't bring any reduction in boot time, then Resetting to original OS might be the next step.

I really can't believe the GEEK like set of steps that are needed to clear the cache! No wonder so few people do that. It seems like most OS have such maintenance tasks built into Settings or such. Or at very least an App made to manage such now and then tasks.
Thx again - Jain

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Realistically, you shouldn't have to clear the cache partition with any kind of regularity -- it's more of a troubleshooting step if an issue arises. It might actually be slightly detrimental to performance if you clear the cache too often (since the system has to rebuild the cache). So it's not entirely surprising to me that the steps are somewhat more involved than the more run-of-the-mill commands like a simple reboot.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that bugs the heck out of me is that this (now) takes almost 1 and a half minutes to BOOT up.
That certainly is awhile, but booting from scratch is something you should seldom have to do. Don't you just put it to sleep when you're not using it?

If you think that the newer OS versions have buggered it up you should be able to reload the old OS version that didn't exhibit this problem. I haven't checked the Google developer page to see how far back the images go, but at worst you could load a CM build (or whatever it's now called).

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
That certainly is awhile, but booting from scratch is something you should seldom have to do. Don't you just put it to sleep when you're not using it?

If you think that the newer OS versions have buggered it up you should be able to reload the old OS version that didn't exhibit this problem. I haven't checked the Google developer page to see how far back the images go, but at worst you could load a CM build (or whatever it's now called).

I use this tablet off and on a few times during my day. If I leave it on (in sleep mode) it eats the battery. And having managed to keep the original battery (from 2012!) alive and healthy this long, its not worth doing the sleep mode (all the time). I am using sleep when the tablet is in nearly continuously use.

I am very sure that the extra long boot time did happen after I upgraded my OS version (from Kit Kat to 5.0). Is there a way to 'return' to a previous OS without needing to reset to original OS (Jelly Bean)? I hesitate to do that because then I would have to root it, re load apps and import back up data etc. Is there a (old) 'set point' option like Windows OS has? OR can one opt to 'load' a previous OS (like Kit Kat) thus un-loading the 5.0 that is there now?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12