NOTE: I copied this more-or-less directly from AndroidAuthority forums, which seems to have been abandoned entirely. So if it sounds a little familiar, that's why.

---------

Hello, and forgive me, please, for not doing an Intro thread. I'm kind of like the guy in those National car rental commercials -- I'm all business.

So let's get to it.

I'm sitting here staring at my mother's Nexus 7 tablet. It's a 2012 model so first generation. I, er, can't seem to get it to turn on. The story from Mom is that one night she went to use it, and it was fine, and the next night when she went to use it it wouldn't cut on. It was charging (theoretically) In between those two events, and I've tried replacing the battery -- either the new battery is a dud or it isn't the issue. (It's from eBay, and I've been bitten before...)

I can also confirm that the screen does not appear to be cracked. I /think/ I see icons underneath if I shine a flashlight on it, indicating a backlight issue -- but if it is a backlight issue, it's also a sound issue because I don't hear the usual 'click' for a tap on the screen or any sort of other audible feedback or noise.

I've tried holding the power button down for 40sec. I've tried the volume-button trick to get it into diagostic mode. If ADB is enabled, it's seriously hosed, because the tablet doesn't want to show up when tethered to a computer, either.

Is there anything else I can try before I have to start swapping expensive parts...? Because at that point Mom says she wants me to put it on eBay as-is and get a Kindle Fire. (She really only uses it for reading eBooks anyways.)

Help! (Please send kittens.)
    05-04-2018 06:59 PM
    Measure the battery voltage. If it's over about 3.7 volts, that's not the problem.

What is the problem? The usual diagnostic routine is to replace parts in a logical order until it works - starting with the motherboard (unfortunately).

If the battery is good, I'd put it on eBay as a parts-only sale. (And for a 2012 N7 you won't get more than about $30.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-05-2018 03:59 PM
    Alright, I'll eBay it. Dumb question -- is there any way to reset it? or do I just have to trust that nobody on eBay will try to read out the ROM and take my data?
    05-05-2018 05:26 PM