Nexus 7: Who's getting the newest goodness from Google & ASUS ?

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, it appears I quoted the wrong person's message above. Meant to quote the person who asked why someone with a smartphone would use his nexus 7 daily.

Sent from my KFJWI using Android Central Forums

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Fixed that for ya. :) Also, new Nexus 7 + Chromecast. Enough said.

I definitely will be getting the new Nexus 7, but too bad I already spent $100+ on a Samsung device that plays Netflix and YouTube to my TV, instead of the ChromeCast. Oh well, at least I didn't spend any more than that.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 : Who's getting the newest goodness from Google & ASUS ?

Purely out of curiosity and assuming you have an Android phone of some type, what do you use it for daily? It appears it's an eReader more than anything. I've seen lots of comments on other threads that the N7 isn't that great for eReading. I see tons of the N7's on Craigs List by people that got one, tried it out for a couple of months and never touched it again. Since I own a GS3, I'm trying to figure out just what I'd do with a 7" tablet and whether I want to carry it around.. I don't carry a purse, LOL. :)

I carry my N7 in my back pocket of my bluejeans or in a cargo pocket of my pants. I watch LIVE college football and other sports on the Watch ESPN app. I read lots of the magazines in Current that have YouTube videos to enhance the story that a dead tree magazine doesn't have. I check Facebook, use it for a GPS and Maps on the road tethering off my phone. I play games on the N7 when watching boring TV. Fact is I use it more than I use my Laptop each day. Best $199 I ever spent and I get to make fun of people that spent more the two or three times for a Apple product when I can do almost anything they can. My issue is my old Nexis 7 is still so good for my portable/home needs that I'm not sure I need the new one yet. Now with the Chromecast device I will buy all my music and rent video and stream them to my TV with surround sound and control it with my N7.

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
We currently own two, my wife has a 32g and I have a 16g I purchased on the release date last year.

I will be replacing my 16g with the new 32g Wi-Fi tablet, mainly for the extra space, the other goodies are icing on the cake.

Never had a lick of trouble with either tablet, knock on wood.

My 16g will be either gifted or put on Craigslist

Sent from planet earth

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

My reaction right now is yes because "oooo, new shiny thing" but honestly I've never used android tablets before and don't know how good they are. I currently own a Ipad 4 and Ipad mini, but I do own a nexus 4 for my phone. I'm considering having the nexus 7 replace my mini, but again, not sure how the experience is. So I might have to bite the billet and buy it to see if I like then I guess sell the mini later if I do.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I need a bigger screen. I might be able to do an iPad Mini which has 30 some percent more screen area if they come out with a retina version but until then I'll stick with my iPad 4.
Odd that they had an event just for this and the gimped Chromestick (no 5ghz or AC on a streaming device????)...No Nexus 5 or Nexus 10. I'm considering replacing my Nexus 10 with the new Sony 10 inch tablet but maybe will hold on to see if they upgrade it and hopefully someone besides samsung will make it. Too bad HTC is out of tablets. I'd like to see them do a 10 inch or 8 inch tablet like the HTC One.
It's a nice unit at a nice price and finally LTE, hopefully it doesn't have the quality control issues of the previous one. I'm paying $30 for Verizon LTE on my iPad 4 which is a little hard to take since I don't use the LTE all that often. $20 would make more sense but they got ride of those plans. I wonder if they will make you sign a contract for this on LTE like the do on other Android tablets or if it will be month to month like iPads.
Easy to have a nice price when you are selling something for cost though. I bought three of the old Nexus 7's as gifts and may buy a few of these too.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Nice seeing both you and Patrick find lots of use for it, though I suspect you may have rec'd one at little or no cost due to being part of AC?..Regardless, I find the S3 screen being both AMOLED and under 5" too small for reading books. Not a big gamer and when it comes to streaming, I prefer using my Roku XS in conjunction with my home theater system. I find it interesting however that you state your laptop is collecting dust. I work from home on my Win desktop machine and my laptop is outdated and heavy. You also mention the first gen problems though with the new N7 announced, I suspect there will be GREAT deals on lightly used first gen models..Have seen many 16 gb at $150 but they should drop lower..I don't want a bad experience so am curious about this comment.

The N7 in general has allowed my laptop to collect a ton of dust. Plus its such an amazing device, sure there was some problems with the first addition but now the way Google & ASUS have seemed to attack the new version of the N7.. One can hope that the specs and what we saw today at the Google Press Event will make it a killer tablet!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I will probably skip this one. I have the first Nexus 7 that I bought in February and a iPad Mini that I bought in June. Don't see a need after seeing the new Nexus 7 to buy it. I use my iPad Mini more than the Nexus 7 now.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

I'll get it. I use my N7 every day but there is such a lag now I think a faster processor and more RAM will make a huge difference. Bonus points if I can use it with the current N7 dock but it's not a deal-breaker.
Just thought i would let you guys know 4.3 fixes the lag.

Faux Carnival

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I will TRY to get one. Just like last year.

Because, Nexus 7 is not sold officially in my country. Therefore, I'll have to travel to France or Germany to get one. (And visit friends of course)

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish it had a 8 inch screen. I have the original Nexus 7 16 Gig and am finding the 7 inch screen too small. I like the Samsung Tab 3 8 inch just wish it had a quad core like the note 8. I still may go for the tab 3 8 I have played with it a lot at Best Buy and really like it I even like the tweaks Samsung did to Android, I have a Samsung Smart TV and the Tab 8 would go great with that but for me the 8 inch screen is the sweet spot.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Sold my original Nexus 7 on Amazon last week and I will be getting it on tuesday for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835