New nexus 7 hdmi question

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys interested in the new nexus 7. I hear it has an hdmi port so will I be able to stream stuff to my tv. Say I'm watching tv portal will I be able to plug an hdmi in and stream to my tv or laptop?

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The new Nexus 7 uses the SlimPort standard, just like the Nexus 4. You'll have to buy a SlimPort adapter. It plugs into your micro USB port, and converts it to HDMI (just like MHL).

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
You should also look into Chromecast; it is a WAY better alternative to streaming to your TV than an HDMI cable.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Just curious.....I have an MHL cable now that works with my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone...will that work, or will I have to get SimPort adaptor?

Unfortunately, SlimPort and MHL aren't compatible. I know that pain.

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You should also look into Chromecast; it is a WAY better alternative to streaming to your TV than an HDMI cable.

And if you already pay for Netflix, it essentially costs $11, as it comes with 3 months of free Netflix, for new or existing customers. Pretty easy to justify. Plus then you can queue up videos, music, etc with other people. Pretty slick looking device.

*edit* just thought I'd add a note that the Netflix promo ended.

Last edited:

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

I was looking into that but have you ever tried tv portal? It makes Netflix look like a wenie haha :p and its not a monthly membership and it has sooo many more shows and movies. But I do like the idea of the Chromecast might have to pick one up.

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just curious.....I have an MHL cable now that works with my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone...will that work, or will I have to get SimPort adaptor?

I can confirm for certain that MHL will not work. I have one for my Galaxy Nexus and bought the adapter for my wife's S3 and neither way works with the new N7, I tried both ways. Was hopeful before I bought the SlimPort, but I ended up getting it for $30 and am very glad that I did.

I stream all of my movies from my Buffalo CloudStor wherever I go and it is great for gaming.

mrdunn

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I have not been able to get the Kanex slimport to work, how does Chromecast work with the Nexus 7 to stream? Is there a special app that does it?

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Seriously should be using Chromecast to fix this issue. Use Allcast to cast your content. Hdmi slimport is a thing of the past.

Posted via Android Central App

jrisch

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Seriously should be using Chromecast to fix this issue. Use Allcast to cast your content. Hdmi slimport is a thing of the past.

Posted via Android Central App

Does Allcast now support Chromecast, in the Play store it says it will when Google allows it? Can I use MX player with Chromecast? I thought there was only a limited number of apps supported.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

bonnyjounds

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have been trying to connect my Nexus 7 2013 to a fairly old Optoma projector which doesn't have an HDMI port. I have bought the slimport which works fine to my TV. I have also bought a Camac HDMI to VGA converter which also works fine from my pvr to my pc monitor.

The problem is although they physically plug together they don't work together and there is no picture getting through to my pc screen.

I would be grateful for any guidance or ideas

Thanks
Bohnny

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood