Ask me about the new Nexus 7!

Barry Morgan

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Waiting for the 4.3 ota hopping it may solve the lag issues in the old M7, do you think the same issues will arise in the new N7 as I am loath to spend more money on a device that basically dies after a few months use. Many thanks in advance, Barry

amriq14

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Is the screen a bit smaller than the original? The original has a 7.51 in. screen while the new one has 7.01 screen according to specs.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: What kind of glass?

The glass is a deal-breaker for me. I need Gorilla Glass, because otherwise I'll break it.:eek:

Specs list Corning (TM) glass...but do not specifically mention GG1,2,or 3....PS (Sadly) I've smashed the sh*t out of GG. Hit at the right angle, and with enough force and it's done. The tiniest spec of sand in your pocket with scratch it like heck, too. Anything harder than glass will scratch it.

Last edited:

Klotera

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: What kind of glass?

How's the range and stability of the Wifi? The original N7 had horrific range compared to every other device I have and often had unstable connections. This would be one of the most welcome improvements.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
As for Miracast, it requires two things:
1, hardware-wise, it requires "wifi-direct" support.

And specifically dual 802.11n streams. The N7 had only one stream so if they enabled it, it would have been horribly choppy and everyone would be p*ssed. I'm actually surprised the N7-2013 doesn't include 802.11ac support since the chips for that have down in price a lot.
Folks who had issues w/ the old N7's wifi probably had issues w/ the wifi antenna contact....it was one of the know quirks (aka bugs or manufacturing issues) that plagued the old N7s. Hopefully, Asus learned their lesson on that as well as they did the screen issue :p

bend32

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey Everyone, I just wanted you guys to know that I just picked up the Nexus 7 at BestBuy. There have been reports that they were selling it early, and those reports are true.

farhadb

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a question many have overlooked. We know it has dual speakers for audio out, but what about audio IN

Does the new N7 have Dual Mics?

The previous N7 had dual mics for noise cancellation. I've seen no mention of dual mics anywhere this time and can't seem to find the second mic hole anywhere either. With the original N7 depending on the orientation you held the tablet it would determine which of the two mics was the "primary" mic and which one was the noise cancelling one. It would be unfortunate to loose this feature as it did work well in my testing.

Follow up question. Does the new N7 support headphones with a mic? So a TRRS connector? Many phones do, but the original N7 did not. This might make up for the lack of a dual mic.

DeusEx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Comparing the stereo speakers on the HTC One and the Nexus 7, which speakers do you prefer/sound better?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app