Debating on buying now or waiting a bit...

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, my local Best Buy has the new Nexus 7 in stock already. Apparently, some people are being turned away, but I'm still going to try (I have to get there for a Chromecast anyway...) If my local store has it, should I get it now or wait until more reviews pour in? It's a very solid device based on what I've seen so far.

mikepolinske

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I too am split. I'd like to update my original Nexus 7, but I'm curious to see what Apple does with the iPad mini. If Apple comes out with a "Retina" mini in the next couple months that is competitive with the Nexus 7, I'll also wait for some reviews of the new Nexus 7.

My "techie" side says "Buy it!", but my financial side says:"Let's wait a bit."

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
according to verge review the device got a solid 9. check out AC review, looks like a solid device.
Also, according to the benchmark its a huge improvement. New N7 fixes and adds a lot of complaints with the original.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Good luck at the store, it would be cool if they sold it to you early. It seems like a very worthy successor to the original Nexus 7.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

mitc5502

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I too am split. I'd like to update my original Nexus 7, but I'm curious to see what Apple does with the iPad mini. If Apple comes out with a "Retina" mini in the next couple months that is competitive with the Nexus 7, I'll also wait for some reviews of the new Nexus 7.

I had the same dilemma, until I looked at the iPad mini's price tag...$429 for 32gb wifi! Jeebus, a Retina mini would be a pretty sweet device, but not for $160 more than the N7.

BigFoot48

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just ordered the 32MB version from Amazon. It will replace the iPod Touch 5 I carry in my pocket, and nicely complement the Nexus 10 we bought last December. Looks like a terrific device.

Dezolis

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered the 32MB version from Amazon. It will replace the iPod Touch 5 I carry in my pocket, and nicely complement the Nexus 10 we bought last December. Looks like a terrific device.

You sure it's the 2013 version? I only see the old model on Amazon with the 1280x800 resolution

Nevermind I found the link to the new model nothing to see here

Last edited:

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
lol, why does everyone talk about the 'retina' display? It just means it has a high DPI, which the new N7 has the highest DPI of any tablet on the market, even the iPads.

The 2013 Nexus 7 has a DPI of 323 and the iPad 3 has a DPI of 263.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
lol, why does everyone talk about the 'retina' display? It just means it has a high DPI, which the new N7 has the highest DPI of any tablet on the market, even the iPads.

The 2013 Nexus 7 has a DPI of 323 and the iPad 3 has a DPI of 263.
I think you mean PPI (pixels per inch)

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Am seeing 16 gb and even 32 gb original N7's on local Craigs List (SF Bay Area) for around $100-$120. I still find it hard to justify owning one of these whether the 2013 model or original when I have a GS3, which does everything and more. And Craigs List is filled with these devices from people that bought one, used it for a couple of months and never touched it again. Living in one of the tech centers of the country I rarely see someone carrying one of these around which is an indication it's a niche market.. Thoughts?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

My "techie" side says "Buy it!", but my financial side says:"Let's wait a bit."

The rumor is that the mini will get a faster processor on the next gen, but no retina level display until the generation after that. Apple like to milk their cows dry!!!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If you can't find it at Best Buy (or they won't sell you one for some reason), try GameStop. I've got one on hold right now for after work (went through their website and selected in store pick-up rather than calling them).

Am seeing 16 gb and even 32 gb original N7's on local Craigs List (SF Bay Area) for around $100-$120. I still find it hard to justify owning one of these whether the 2013 model or original when I have a GS3, which does everything and more. And Craigs List is filled with these devices from people that bought one, used it for a couple of months and never touched it again. Living in one of the tech centers of the country I rarely see someone carrying one of these around which is an indication it's a niche market.. Thoughts?

Tablets are a niche market? That's news to me. :confused:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I suspect most people are like me and view the tablet as adjunct to their phone and/or laptop. Something to use at home or on travel to browse the web, read books, game, text ,etc. I live also in the Bay Area and almost never take my tablet with me. But at home I use it all the time and never touch my phone. With applications like TableTalk I can text through my phone via the Wifi connection and have a much bigger screen than my DNA to run multiple apps at once. So at home my phone lives in drawer charging on a Qi charger waiting for me to grab it on the way out.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to the Nexus 7 which compared to sales of smart phones or even iPads seems small in comparison..Wasn't inferring it's inferior, I just find it hard to justify it as compared to the overall functionality of a current Android smart phone with a big screen. :0
If you can't find it at Best Buy (or they won't sell you one for some reason), try GameStop. I've got one on hold right now for after work (went through their website and selected in store pick-up rather than calling them).

Tablets are a niche market? That's news to me. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007