New Nexus 7 (2013) ...almost nothing works

taayb

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I just got the new Nexus 7, set up all my accounts, and almost nothing works. I can't go to the Play Store, I get errors on boot, I can't change many settings (such as setting up face login),

Most things result in a "Unfortunately, XXX has stopped" error. There were updates installed when I first turned the thing on but there are no more updates.

Any thoughts? If there isn't a simple fix I'm just going to return the device to Best Buy. Not all that interested in having to fix issues on day zero. I tried clearing the cache on several apps and rebooting but no joy.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Since you probably don't have a lot of data on the device yet, I'd recommend a factory reset, and then redo the initial setup. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd say you have a defective unit, and returning it is the right thing to do.

taayb

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm doing the factory reset right now and I'll see what happens. Talk about disappointing. An error popped up when I first turned the device on but I just ignored it...

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I really hope the factory reset fixes it for you. I hate when I buy something new just to hassle with it to get it working.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2

taayb

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
No joy. Tried a factory reset, error on boot, same errors as before. I'm heading to Best Buy to see if I can exchange it and hopefully the second one will work. I'll update and let you guys know...

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine is fine so far, got one 'app has stopped' type error with no visible negative effects and I've been using it constantly for hours. Good luck with your second one!!

Posted from my 2013 nexus 7

taayb

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Swapped it without any issues. I turned it on in the store to verify and I was surprised when it rotated between landscape/portrait. My previous one did not do this at all. Just finished installing updates and logging in w/ my 2 step authentication. Everything seems to be working fine. Must have just been a bad unit. Makes me a bit nervous but I suppose it does happen!

Edit: There were a lot of things broken. The flicking between "pages" didn't show the bar at the bottom, widgets weren't loading, and it was a lot more sluggish than this one is. Something went veeery wrong.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
One of the three I bought died within a few hours. It's going back today and there person I bought it for asked for an iPad Mini instead..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad