List of nexus 7 2013 problems

BlackedOutLT1

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't have the security hardware needed for it to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't have the security hardware needed for it to work.

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine froze again while trying to type a response on this forum on Tapatalk. Froze for an 5 seconds, the third time it did it to me since I got it yesterday. Also I wish the buttons were like the original, these are not as clicky and are more flush with the side which isn't good. It's harder for me to find the button just by feel.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is with the 2B16 / 2013.06 hardware revision running the JSS15J Android update (ie the 2nd of 2 OTA updates)

Android will reboot every once in a while if you try to do too much stuff.

Usually it happens when I load too many tabs in Chrome. I like to open lots of tabs for stuff I want to read, then later on go through those tabs one by one. When I open too many tabs, especially forums or more complex sites, first thing that will eventually happen is Chrome will get jumpy. Next thing that will happen is it will freeze. If you kill Chrome and restart, it will start working ok again, but once in a while, Android will just reboot.

There is also some GPS funkiness. Sometimes it will get in a state where it won't lock. Other people have noted this.

When I first got the JSS15J update, it just wouldn't lock onto GPS no matter how long I left it sitting near the window. I eventually turned on WiFi/Mobile assistance and it locked. After that, I turned off WiFi/Mobile assistance and it continues to lock.

All this testing is with just the stock apps. Nothing was loaded on the tablet. Didn't even enter a Google account.

I've heard others imply there is a different (earlier) hardware revision which they claim is associated with some light bleed, flickering screen, and/or creaking on the edges but haven't personally been able to verify since I don't have any other version (if they exist) to test.

All in all, the unit is nice, but I feel the software is probably at .95 rather than 1.00 level. Minor issues I don't mind, but Android OS rebooting really isn't production level and a major app like Chrome hanging often shouldn't be happening. GPS issues have been historically hard to narrow down in the past with lots of finger pointing, but I'm hopeful it is fixed with an upcoming update.

All the problems I've encountered feel like software issues, but I don't rule out underlying hardware issues that may need to be worked around.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Also I wish the buttons were like the original, these are not as clicky and are more flush with the side which isn't good. It's harder for me to find the button just by feel.
Yeah, the buttons are kind of hard to locate. It seems they are not necessarily flush, but are placed underneath the widest point of the beveled edge. Your fingers naturally grab on to the widest point, so you need to move your thumb a little lower than it naturally wants to be to press the buttons and when you slide your finger on the side beveled edge, it just naturally stays on the widest point and never finds the buttons. It doesn't help that the bevel is kind of sharp, more like a ">" than a ")"

skinnysloth

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
One minor issue I've notice with mine is when the screen goes to sleep. Instead of fading to black gradually and turning off, the top and bottom of the screen would go black with a flash of a white line in the middle. Not sure if that is normal or just unique to my Nexus.

gaol

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Besides MX Player not working TweetCaster Pro doesn't give notifications and Google Wallet will never work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It looks like the issue with MX Player has to do with jelly bean 4.3 and not the new nexus per se. My 2012 nexus 7 received its 4.3 update and now the player isn't working, error message says it's not compatible with the new OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Expect Google Wallet to go away. it's done nothing but cost google money with very low adoption rates partly because it has been shut out of the market by other players.
One of the three Nexus 7's died within a few hours use. The person I bought it for asked for an iPad Mini instead so I'm exchanging it today. too bad since the new iPad Mini is only a month or two away.

Any reason why wallet will never work?

Posted via Android Central App

eloderung

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
One minor issue I've notice with mine is when the screen goes to sleep. Instead of fading to black gradually and turning off, the top and bottom of the screen would go black with a flash of a white line in the middle. Not sure if that is normal or just unique to my Nexus.

That's intentional.

Think old television screens when they were turned off. I thought that was a very neat touch.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the buttons are kind of hard to locate. It seems they are not necessarily flush, but are placed underneath the widest point of the beveled edge. Your fingers naturally grab on to the widest point, so you need to move your thumb a little lower than it naturally wants to be to press the buttons and when you slide your finger on the side beveled edge, it just naturally stays on the widest point and never finds the buttons. It doesn't help that the bevel is kind of sharp, more like a ">" than a ")"

The buttons are in the right spot, just too flush and soft. A good example of where not to put side buttons on a remote, look at the Asus Cube's remote. It has voice control and Dpad/track pad toggle switches on the side. They're placed right on the seam of the remote case right where your fingers grab it. They're very easy to press and stop you in your tracks with what you were doing with it.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
How about not a problem with the device by itself, but is it too much to ask to get a charging cable that could reach the floor from a desk... ASUS was putting a 5 ft cable in the TF301 and TF701 transformers, why not these!

Only 15 minutes into the actual device, a lot of reboots, but so far so AWESOME!

Cheers!

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it's a problem for others but mx player won't with my Nexus 7, I keep getting a bad version error when I attempt to play a file with it and the dice player says it isn't able to load on the tablet. Kind at a loss on how to play avi's unless I need to convert them first... if so, is there an "easy" way?

Download BSPlayer works great on the new nexus 7 and TV portal works too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Cesar29

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I love using Google Wallet on my GNex. Contacted Google Wallet about why it wouldn't load on my Nexus7 and they said "I just want to inform you that the Google Wallet app will only work with Nexus 7 purchased directly from Google Play." Why they making it so difficult?

I also got the frozen typing while in the FB app...

puregoogle

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
This is a lil off topic but does your nexus seem heavier at the top when you flip it upside down?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app