GPS Problems on Nexus 7 (2013)

klobkelosh

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
This pissed off someone in xda, so I figured I'd post it here...

I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I haven't rebooted in 4 days. I've used maps, navigation for several 35 minute commutes, earth, GPS test, GPS status and tool box, orux maps, lotus maps, not to mention Facebook and several weather apps and MY GPS STILL WORKS. All I have done is disable the GPS always on function, updated to newest play services, and made sure to have a good view of the sky every time I fire up the GPS.

Tell me how to replicate this problem. Please. Otherwise, all I can diagnose is user error.[

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Just because you aren't having the issue yourself doesn't mean we are all idiots that are experiencing user error. This is clearly a very wide spread issue that has already garnered a response from Google that they are investigating it.

I open any GPS tracking app: maps, ingress, map my ride, sygic, etc and dive for 45 minutes and it always drops. The icon starts blinking as it is looking for a lock, but it never gets the lock back. Restarting allows another lock, but it drops again after 45 minutes. There is no room for "user error" so your "diagnosis" is ignorant and condescending.

klobkelosh

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just because you aren't having the issue yourself doesn't mean we are all idiots that are experiencing user error. This is clearly a very wide spread issue that has already garnered a response from Google that they are investigating it.

I open any GPS tracking app: maps, ingress, map my ride, sygic, etc and dive for 45 minutes and it always drops. The icon starts blinking as it is looking for a lock, but it never gets the lock back. Restarting allows another lock, but it drops again after 45 minutes. There is no room for "user error" so your "diagnosis" is ignorant and condescending.

Hey I never called anyone an *****. But point taken. The longest I have tracked the GPS for is 35 minutes, so I'll try for longer.

GHZSD

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I just updated to the latest play services. Tomorrow we are traveling around 75 miles so I will give feedback. So far I have had three of these and of course they ALL have the same issue.

klobkelosh

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey I never called anyone an *****. But point taken. The longest I have tracked the GPS for is 35 minutes, so I'll try for longer.

So after that last post I just let it sit for an hour an lo and behold GPS lost signal. While I never meant to insult anyone, I offer my apologies nonetheless. I hope there are no hard feelings.

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I was mistaken, I do indeed loose the GPS lock after some time navigating, and it won't reconnect without a reboot.......this is with 3.2.25

David Eason

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
AWESOME!!! I cleared the cache and it started seeing satellites. Before that 0/0 all the time, not even one. Now I will test for more than a few minutes to make sure it doesn't bomb out like others talk about.

Amazingly when I called Google support they didn't even seem to know that it could do GPS without WiFi. Shocking, since they sell it.

Thanks, pass the word.

jrhodes973

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
AWESOME!!! I cleared the cache and it started seeing satellites. Before that 0/0 all the time, not even one. Now I will test for more than a few minutes to make sure it doesn't bomb out like others talk about.

Amazingly when I called Google support they didn't even seem to know that it could do GPS without WiFi. Shocking, since they sell it.

Thanks, pass the word.

Which cache did you clear?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
How long is the longest continuous lock that you have had? Mine works OK, but as soon as it has been in continuous use for 45 minutes, that is when it craps out.

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Just Returned my Nexus 7 (2013)

Tried and retried every solution on here, but in the end eventually GPS would lose its ability to acquire satellites. The only thing that will catch ASUS and Google's attention is returns (ie loss of money). Holding onto your beloved N7 hoping beyond hope that they will fix the issues is naive, at least if you think GPS is a vital function of your tablet. I will possibly re-purchase, but in my opinion Google/ASUS did a subpar job vetting on this unit prior to release. The keyboard was totally flaky until updates and the battery life was abysmal until one of the many factory resets I did corrected that issue.

Just my take on it, but to all of you that choose to hold onto your N7 (2013) in hopes that Google/ASUS irons out the issues, don't be on these boards months from now complaining that Google is taking forever to address the issues you are having. There is little incentive for these companies to service their customers if the vast majority put up with faulty products and don't send them right back to the manufacturer when they don't work as advertised.

Just my 2 cents.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just Returned my Nexus 7 (2013)

Tried and retried every solution on here, but in the end eventually GPS would lose its ability to acquire satellites. The only thing that will catch ASUS and Google's attention is returns (ie loss of money). Holding onto your beloved N7 hoping beyond hope that they will fix the issues is naive, at least if you think GPS is a vital function of your tablet. I will possibly re-purchase, but in my opinion Google/ASUS did a subpar job vetting on this unit prior to release. The keyboard was totally flaky until updates and the battery life was abysmal until one of the many factory resets I did corrected that issue.

Just my take on it, but to all of you that choose to hold onto your N7 (2013) in hopes that Google/ASUS irons out the issues, don't be on these boards months from now complaining that Google is taking forever to address the issues you are having. There is little incentive for these companies to service their customers if the vast majority put up with faulty products and don't send them right back to the manufacturer when they don't work as advertised.

Just my 2 cents.

With the troubles you've had, I can't blame you. I personally have only had the GPS issue, and I haven't noticed it again since removing the Weather Channel app. Obviously that's not a miracle cure for everyone, just my experience. Given your experience, I can understand the return.

Alvin8866

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I called the google support department.

Their answer is:
GPS must work with Wi-fi, and other funtions. It will not work just by itself for a long period of time.
They suggest me to reset to factory setting.

I mean when I use GPS, I am properly out of Wi-fi environment. Do you agree? Then how can I make GPS to work with Wi-fi while I am on the way since not everyone having 3G cellphone?
I do not have issue with my iPad GPS or iPhone GPS. What is the point to use TomTom and download all the maps into my device?

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The reality is Google/ASUS is aware there is a major issue with the GPS function on these tabs. They also realize that many N7 owners aren't aware that there is, because apparently lots of people don't use it. With the update to Maps taking away the separate Navigation App, even less people will stumble upon it.

Telling people that the GPS will only function for long periods of time if WIFI is available, AND then telling you, "oh, but try a factory reset" is logically incoherent.

I have 2 friends with these and neither was aware that the GPS wasn't working until I tested their units to see. Both of their units began having issues acquiring locks on satellites. One immediately had problems, the other took about an hour to start having issues. I really think this is a serious issue and at this point Google/ASUS does not want to acknowledge it. If they did all those people that are still within their return window would begin messing with the GPS to see if their units were working correctly and the the number being returned would sky rocket.

I had this same issue back in 2009 with a Palm Pre cell phone. GPS didn't work correctly at all. It too was a widespread issue, but most users didn't even know because they weren't using navigation apps. Palm handled just like Google/ASUS is handling this problem. They never fully acknowledged it was a systemic problem. I held onto the phone knowing this thinking that Palm would eventually get it fixed. Well that never happened.

Burned once, never again.

As much as the N7 is a fantastic device, this IS a fatal flaw. If they can fix with software upgrade, great. But do you really want to hold onto your unit past the return deadline to find out?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Their answer is:
GPS must work with Wi-fi, and other funtions. It will not work just by itself for a long period of time.

I mean when I use GPS, I am properly out of Wi-fi environment. Do you agree? Then how can I make GPS to work with Wi-fi while I am on the way since not everyone having 3G cellphone?
I do not have issue with my iPad GPS or iPhone GPS. What is the point to use TomTom and download all the maps into my device?

'It will not work' - Is that a technical term? What does receiving signals from satellites have to do with a WiFi Ethernet connection?
If it disconnects for a bit and reconnects, I don't see that as much of a problem. But if it craps out and never comes back unless I have a WiFi connection, then that's a big problem.

Alvin8866

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
'It will not work' - Is that a technical term? What does receiving signals from satellites have to do with a WiFi Ethernet connection?
If it disconnects for a bit and reconnects, I don't see that as much of a problem. But if it craps out and never comes back unless I have a WiFi connection, then that's a big problem.

Well, it seems like a out source service phone line. I need to find a way to talk to the original technical support team. It does not look like a system problem but a hardware problem, since it works fine at the beginning and crashed later. Just like some internet router, which work very well after reboot. Data overload problem? I am just guessing.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Their answer is:

Lol, that person is full of ****.

I have my N7 tethered to my N4 the entire time and I still get a drop. That person was pulling an answer out of their ***.

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Their answer is:

The answer they gave you is logically incoherent. It won't work without wifi on, BUT go ahead and perform a factory reset to see if it corrects the problem?!?!?!?!?!

I went through a very similar problem in 2009 with a Palm Pre Plus phone. The GPS wouldn't work most of the time. I held onto the phone past the time I could return it hoping the issue would be resolved. They never fixed the issue.

This is a systemic problem with the N7 (2013). I have 2 friends that purchased them as well, and both of those have the GPS problem. Interestingly enough they hadn't tried using the GPS function and were unaware that the GPS was flaky. I think this is true of a lot of people. I think this problem is flying under the radar for now and Google/ASUS is fairly mum about it because to acknowledge that all these units have problems would cause a huge return problem.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay