GPS Problems on Nexus 7 (2013)

BgameDroid

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought a brand new Nexus 7 (2013) and am having problems with the Satellite GPS. The GPS only works for about 10 minutes or so after first using it. If I swap apps or use another app that uses GPS, my GPS dies (I'm testing using GPS Status with WiFi off).

I have to completely power off the device and power it back on again for it to work once more.

UPDATE 1: I've found that you can go to Settings > Location Access and turn off "Access to my location", wait a minute and turn it back on. Then it seems to work again. However, switching apps, breaks it yet again. Ugh!

UPDATE 2: Above trick on the settings doesn't always work. Sure fire is to reboot.

Last edited:

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought a brand new Nexus 7 (2013) and am having problems with the Satellite GPS. The GPS only works for about 10 minutes or so after first using it. If I swap apps or use another app that uses GPS, my GPS dies (I'm testing using GPS Status with WiFi off).

I have to completely power off the device and power it back on again for it to work once more.

I've had the same issue with mine I'm going to try factory reset if that doesn't fix it I'm going to exchange at Best Buy tomorrow

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

eloderung

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having this issue :(

It only appears to work for a short period of time after it is booted up, even when using wifi to detect the position later. Once the GPS is lost, it's lost for good until reboot (bad to find that out on a roadtrip using the Nexus as a test device!).

Is this a defective unit issue or what?

Edit: It seems like if I open GPS Test up and let it run, it'll continue to track the position fine for several minutes (30+ minutes). As soon as I tab out of the program, the GPS ceases to function until reboot. Sounds like a software issue, but I'm wondering if everyone has it at the moment or just a few people.

Last edited:

skyhawk21

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem here! thought I fixed it first by doing the trick to clear out cache of google system framework and also maps while the gps and location access is turned completely off, reboot turn it all back on and should be resolved. Helped make it better but still the gps would cease to work after 10-20 minutes of switching between gps apps. So I thought well after the two system updates, hard reset the tablet and see if that fixes the problem!

I had the gps today running for about 3 or 4 hours off and on with out the issue! Then i start installing my apps again, tweaking the system settings for everything, install older version of gas buddy which I think is one of the culprits, use it lock on to gps switch back and forth between gps status, gps test, maps, gasbuddy and then wala gps does not work but shows flashing searching for satellites icon all the time and its like the GPS gives out. I think its a memory problem or overstack flow with the gps driver that was compiled for android 4.3. Its like the buffer gets filled up while switching between gps apps off and on it goes with AGPS data then it cant handle it no more so it just ceases to work. then couple of hours later on its own it works intermittenly after driver resets on its own?

Go look for my threads over at XDA NEXUS & 2013 threads. (skyhawk21)

I have other tablets that are way older, galaxy S3 phone with similiar hardware and gps and it use to have the same problem with the first jellybean update, now with the current verizon update for the S3 the gps works good!

I do not know if I should exchange it or not, when the gps works it works good, then it flakes out which I assume is software/driver related!

skivvies

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue... thought it was just me so I returned my device for a different one. I have a support case with Google... hopefully they're aware others are having the same problem.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
When I had the old N7 I had the same issue. It seemed like I was the only one who did. A factory reset solved the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

theswede

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just talked to support on this issue and it seems to fix the issue for me. Go to settings, storage, go to cached data, click on and check ok to clear cached data. So far gps is working just fine. Try it and please report back

eloderung

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Just talked to support on this issue and it seems to fix the issue for me. Go to settings, storage, go to cached data, click on and check ok to clear cached data. So far gps is working just fine. Try it and please report back

Did not work for me.

If I tried a factory reset, and have my settings synced with Google, would my Nexus be restored to its exact same condition post-reset after allowing it to complete the sync? (Downloading all the apps I had, local content kept on device, etc.)

Edit: I think I finally fixed the issue. The Weather Channel App seems like it was killing the GPS functionality completely for my device. Now it's been running fine for a good 20m or so between various gps apps opening and closing without using wifi assistance. I also did clear the cache data too, but that alone did not work.

Last edited:

skyhawk21

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you please extensively test the gps out for a good hour or so switching between, maps, earth, gps test, gps status, gasbuddy and other gps lock apps and see if it works on the new exchanged nexus 7 and also the one that the cache was cleared on, I keep trying all these solutions and it flakes out still!

chudly1

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Same exact problem here and I bought the new nexus 7 to use for navigation in an airplane. I really need to know how to fix this issue. Do I need to return and get a different unit?

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I personally didnt notice any issues, but i rarely use gps for much. By the sounds of it, it seems more software related. If it indeed is software, Im sure we will see a fix soon.

pla

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
My 2013 Nexus 7 GPS works for a few minutes after a boot. Then the GPS quits. I've tried all the tricks. The problem persists. I was contemplating returning the N7 to Wal-Mart until I saw this thread. I will hang on to the device and hope for a speedy fix.

Thanks, PLA

eloderung

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My earlier fix was working well for a while, but quit after firing up Google Earth (I think).

Does anyone have an offline navigation app that works with the new Nexus 7?

GHZSD

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I already returned one to BestBuy and it does the same thing. Worse QI charging does not work on this one and did with the first one I got which is not a showstopper. Other than that they both work and it seems like a generally well made unit but GPS is mandatory since my justification was to get a tablet to replace my Garmin.

Since I suspect ALL of these have the same issue Google should fix things quickly but I only have 2 weeks to take it back if they don't fix it in that time frame I cannot take the risk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae