GPS Problems on Nexus 7 (2013)

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank god. Im having the same issue and searched the intertubes. Apparently "2013" in my search finally found what I needed.

So it appears this a known issue. I play Ingress alot and this makes playing almost impossible. i was about 5 minutes from taking my tablet back but it appears they are all affected.

So I looked up Ingress. mind = blown. Wow, I just requested an invite; I had no idea this was a thing. That looks pretty sweet.

Randy Ballard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have done factory resets and exchanged it at Best Buy. Still not working.
I did have better luck (It kept the GPS lock a lot longer) when I went in and disabled everything I could that uses location services.
Settings, Apps, ALL, Touch App, Choose Disable.
But it still locked up on me after about an hour.
I do love the tablet for playing Ingress, well until the GPS locks up and I have to re-boot. But it is very responsive and the compass works great in the game.
Hope they have a fix soon....

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
How is playing Ingress on a WiFi tablet? I just got a beta invite and stuck at work. I also have an Android phone, so it is a non issue for me, but my co worker only has the N7 (and an iPhone) so he didn't think he could really play it.

Matt Jackson3

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
my plan was to use this as an ingress tablet, however this GPS problem has prevented this. So i'm still using my GS3. Hoping they resolve the GPS Issue soon, can't wait to use the new N7! Ingress if a fun game, what city are you in?

hobojoe196061

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list of ingress players noticing GPS issues on the new nexus 7...hopefully this gets fixed soon, I won't be returning it within 2 weeks since I trust google to fix the issue. This reminds me of my OG Droid...had the exact same issue with failing to lock onto gps, it was fixed with an update.

@Diknak Stay blue, no one is ever really happy being the bad guy. =)

Randy Ballard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have tethering turned on on my iPhone. I connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 or my Nexus 7 to the wifi hot spot it creates and play for hours. Well with the external battery's I play for hours.
The Tab 3 works OK, but the Nexus works better for Ingress when the GPS stays connected to the satellites. But it is going back until they get it fixed. Then I will go buy it again.

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It appears I have the GPS issue as well. When using maps, the GPS never locks and thus I get inaccurate driving instructions.
:( :'( :-\

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For me, GPS works fine as long as Maps/Navigation is the only GPS app I use.

Once I start using GPS status, gas buddy, etc. eventually the GPS won't lock anymore.

It appears to be related to multple apps accessing the GPS port.

Similarly with random reboots, I stopped using chrome and they went away.

They'll eventually fix these problems. GPS and browsing are pretty major/basic functions of this tablet.

Saci56

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I just intend to use Nexus 7 for my mushroom picking tours, meaning the following needs:

1. Using real (not Assisted!) GPS offline for a 4-6 hours period
2. Using Locus and/or Oruxmaps navigation programs
3. Using SQLite and other format tourist maps for these programs
4. Geo-tagging the photos I make with the Nexus 7
5. Recording my tours + marking POI points (where I find mushrooms)

Do you think the Nexus can fulfill these needs?

Thank you:

S?ndor

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list of ingress players noticing GPS issues on the new nexus 7...hopefully this gets fixed soon, I won't be returning it within 2 weeks since I trust google to fix the issue. This reminds me of my OG Droid...had the exact same issue with failing to lock onto gps, it was fixed with an update.

@Diknak Stay blue, no one is ever really happy being the bad guy. =)

You can absolutely choose. go green!

Yeah, I figured out that you choose after the training missions. I went blue and captured my first neutral portal last night :D

klobkelosh

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I just intend to use Nexus 7 for my mushroom picking tours, meaning the following needs:

1. Using real (not Assisted!) GPS offline for a 4-6 hours period
2. Using Locus and/or Oruxmaps navigation programs
3. Using SQLite and other format tourist maps for these programs
4. Geo-tagging the photos I make with the Nexus 7
5. Recording my tours + marking POI points (where I find mushrooms)

Do you think the Nexus can fulfill these needs?

Thank you:

S?ndor

I plan to use mine similarly, although not for mushrooms :) but yes, it can fulfill your need.as you can read in this thread, there are some gps issues you should be aware of, but I imagine they will be sorted out soon.

evastag

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Only way to get GPS to reconnect is by rebooting.

I hope they fix this and it's a software problem. I bought my Nexus to use the GPS among other things.

Kenny Bateman

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok add me too. Had mine since the 26th and GPS has been so bad that I returned my nexus and got another one only to have the same problem. I really hope Google/Asus fix this soon. GPS was the deciding factor for me in getting the original nexus 7 and now the new version as well. If Google can release two updates on the day this was released, then I'm sure they can fix this problem fairly soon. We just need to get the word out to as many places as we can and make this a big issue in order for them to do anything about it.

Last edited:

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I am almost positive this is a software issue. I tested this out by using Maps on my way home from work two days in a row. It dropped twice both times and I had to restart to get it working again. The kicker: both drops occurred at the EXACT same spot both days.

flyhi46c

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Seven days so far with my new Nexus 7 and gps problems. I'm a pilot and need it to work properly. It holds lock well for maybe 20-30 minutes and then loses all satellites, searches, searches, and searches...cannot find a single satellite! Rectified only by a full power down and reboot. CALLED GOOGLE SUPPORT today! What a joke...They advised me I am the first person to report a gps problem, I should return the unit to Best Buy, and that I should do a factory reset...DUH! They also would not commit to any effort to research or resolve this. I suggested they look on this forum to validate my assertion that others are also experiencing problems. They answered that they are not allowed to address any isssues not directly reported to them. I'm not holding my breath. Too bad....otherwise the unit is a fine mix of features not found elsewhere. Returning it to Best Buy tommorrow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1