GPS Problems on Nexus 7 (2013)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I checked and I've got Google Play Services 3.2.25 so I'm sure that's really the reason why my GPS is now working flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, restarting is a temporary fix to get it working.

As I said, the only permanent fix is to disable Google Play Services because it appears that the problem stems from interference from that app. But you are crippling your tablet in other ways by doing that, so it isn't really a solution. The solution needs to come from an update to Google Play Services.

I checked and I've got Google Play Services 3.2.25 so I'm sure that's really the reason why my GPS is now working flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

Awesome, that's great to hear....confirms my findings.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
FitzAusTex, that sucks.

Try clearing all App Cache's, and also the gps A-GPS cache, then reboot?...just an idea.

Every time you reboot it works. You need more testing than just a reboot.

Awesome, that's great to hear....confirms my findings.

It was one no and one yes. Inconclusive at best. I'm hoping it would though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't be struck with confirmation bias, this is not fixed. Paul from Google just responded to the thread and said that they were aware of it and were investigating. The message would be very different if this was an intended fix.

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
After trying this on a unit rebooting the system will allow for the GPS to start working again. We will look into the issue and keep you guys posted.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Mine worked for a couple of hours with 3.2.25. Hope it continues to work for those who it is currently working for, but stopped for me.

Posted via Android Central App

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I did reboot. Cleared caches. Worked for a couple hours.

Posted via Android Central App

I was just kidding. Everyone is posting to stand on one leg then shut one eye, don't take the map update etc. Then they finish with then reboot. Mine always works after a reboot. Even if I do nothing to "fix" it. Thanks for reporting on play services update though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This thread is PRECISELY why I like being a forum member/reader when I'm considering a product. I just sold my 2012 N7 (too many issues) and toyed with the idea of MAYBE getting the newer model. The issues mentioned in this thread easily convinces me not to get back on the Asus bandwagon. I'll just wait for some other forthcoming 1080p tablet around 7 to 8 inches. Thanks to everyone who stepped up to the plate to describe their issues. Product forums rock!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This thread is PRECISELY why I like being a forum member/reader when I'm considering a product. I just sold my 2012 N7 (too many issues) and toyed with the idea of MAYBE getting the newer model. The issues mentioned in this thread easily convinces me not to get back on the Asus bandwagon. I'll just wait for some other forthcoming 1080p tablet around 7 to 8 inches. Thanks to everyone who stepped up to the plate to describe their issues. Product forums rock!

A real advantage of Google Nexus devices is that you will be the first to get fixes and updates. With other vendor's devices you can wait for months while they add and test the garbage they overlay on top of Android.

I've learned the hard way. I'll never buy anything but a Nexus ever again.

Sent from my incredible new Nexus 7 (2013)

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
A real advantage of Google Nexus devices is that you will be the first to get fixes and updates. With other vendor's devices you can wait for months while they add and test the garbage they overlay on top of Android.

I've learned the hard way. I'll never buy anything but a Nexus ever again.

Unfortunately this isn't always true. Nexus 10 went from November to 4.3 with random reboots. That is months by my count.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately this isn't always true. Nexus 10 went from November to 4.3 with random reboots. That is months by my count.

Wow! I'm waiting for the new Nexus 10. I've been reading reviews of the current N10 and they have been good. Is this a widespread ongoing problem?

turninonone

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying everything I've seen suggested and a few simple things on my own. I haven't been able to avoid the issue entirely. I'm hoping they come up with something quickly as I'm on vacation the next 2 weeks and will be driving all over Quebec and New Brunswick.

Greg

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm no apologist and I don't make excuses when something is lacking or simply sucks. Being a former owner of last years nexus 7 I can truly say that this years N7 is miles ahead of last years. You can't even begin to compare how much better this years is. I feel your pain and know how frustrated you must be because I also knew too well of last years N7's short comings. Even with its minor bugs and issues this years Nexus 7 is still a great buy and its strengths outweigh what little weakness it has. IMO I don't think you can find a better tablet than the new Nexus 7. You can try but there's a lot of skinned over priced garbage out that simply pales in comparison to a nexus product. I don't think $230 is too much to risk and you can always bring it back if you don't like it. I seriously doubt you will bring it back if you do try it out because it's that good.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow! I'm waiting for the new Nexus 10. I've been reading reviews of the current N10 and they have been good. Is this a widespread ongoing problem?

Reboots were mostly fixed in 4.3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia