I was thinking about flash performance, since bigger means more (similar to SSD's USB's) and i was thinking how much slower the 16GB would be? here is the idea to make comparation from owners of the forum, storage bench, 16 vs 32GB Nexus 7?

Also keep in mind you need to have at least 20% free in order to get max performance from flash based devices, and the 16GB comes with 14 free when you have nothing on it, and additional - 3.2GB that leaves you with like only 10GB free, so i guess the 32GB version is a must.

so if you guys would like to post some benches it will be very nice to see the difference.
    07-28-2013 06:07 AM
    Anyone?
    07-28-2013 06:37 PM
    I doubt there will be much of a difference. there's already benchmarks of the storage speed out there, and it's much faster than the original nexus 7. keep in mind, most of the issues in the original, were due to trim issues. also keep in mind, that reading from the storage shouldn't be affected by a full drive, only when writing since it has to find the random blocks to write in, which takes more 'seek' time and may require moving things around which cause slowdowns. not to mention a full drive can cause issues with garbage collection, especially if it needs to move around more data than is available. but we shouldn't see these issues on the new nexus 7. I'd say you could get the 16GB version down to 1GB left and still have full speed, with that 1GB being for temporary files like the browser cache. as long as you let your device idle every now and then, your file systems trim should be done automatically, and won't really need to be addressed as long as you don't add any new stuff on it.

I think good practice anyways though, would be to not do anything else when putting files on the storage or installing something. this will make sure all the files are contiguous rather than broken up here and there from small writes from other programs like your browser cache. this will give you the fastest read speeds. for any that aren't contiguous, you're going to be seeing some seriously low read speeds, but still double that of the old nexus 7. so don't let those important large apps and files become non-contiguous.
    dazed1 likes this.
    07-29-2013 03:27 AM
    I doubt there will be much of a difference. there's already benchmarks of the storage speed out there, and it's much faster than the original nexus 7. keep in mind, most of the issues in the original, were due to trim issues. also keep in mind, that reading from the storage shouldn't be affected by a full drive, only when writing since it has to find the random blocks to write in, which takes more 'seek' time and may require moving things around which cause slowdowns. not to mention a full drive can cause issues with garbage collection, especially if it needs to move around more data than is available. but we shouldn't see these issues on the new nexus 7. I'd say you could get the 16GB version down to 1GB left and still have full speed, with that 1GB being for temporary files like the browser cache. as long as you let your device idle every now and then, your file systems trim should be done automatically, and won't really need to be addressed as long as you don't add any new stuff on it.

I think good practice anyways though, would be to not do anything else when putting files on the storage or installing something. this will make sure all the files are contiguous rather than broken up here and there from small writes from other programs like your browser cache. this will give you the fastest read speeds. for any that aren't contiguous, you're going to be seeing some seriously low read speeds, but still double that of the old nexus 7. so don't let those important large apps and files become non-contiguous.
    I will be honest here, i can see your educated on this subject, but the old N7 8GB was like 70% slower then 16 GB variant., proven by test from Anandtech, so in short, with so many owners on this forum i found it ridiciolus that there is no much info about this, or general interest in this comparasion, because saving like 40 bucks, may cost you alot slower device, and all this can be tested so easy ( Androbench) its not even funny.
    07-29-2013 08:04 AM
    I will be honest here, i can see your educated on this subject, but the old N7 8GB was like 70% slower then 16 GB variant., proven by test from Anandtech, so in short, with so many owners on this forum i found it ridiciolus that there is no much info about this, or general interest in this comparasion, because saving like 40 bucks, may cost you alot slower device, and all this can be tested so easy ( Androbench) its not even funny.
    But I think they are using a different memory for this device that performs much better than before. As long as the user doesn't fill up their device the whole way, I doubt the user could tell any difference.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy tab with Android 4.2.2
    07-29-2013 08:45 AM
    But I think they are using a different memory for this device that performs much better than before. As long as the user doesn't fill up their device the whole way, I doubt the user could tell any difference.
    I know, but all flash work like this....more > faster.
    07-29-2013 08:51 AM
    I know, but all flash work like this....more > faster.
    ?
    No...more bandwidth means it goes faster. IIRC, the 8GB old one only had one chip, so half the bandwidth of 16GB/32GB which had two chips.
    The new N7 is pretty snappy. Will probably sell my old N7 and get an N10 :-)
    07-29-2013 08:54 AM
    ?
    No...more bandwidth means it goes faster. IIRC, the 8GB old one only had one chip, so half the bandwidth of 16GB/32GB which had two chips.
    The new N7 is pretty snappy. Will probably sell my old N7 and get an N10 :-)
    All this debate, instead of someone posting benchmark please? ( Androbench) 16 or 32GB, aint matter just post it, thanks.
    07-29-2013 09:04 AM
    All this debate, instead of someone posting benchmark please? ( Androbench) 16 or 32GB, aint matter just post it, thanks.
    I tested my 16GB and someone tested 32GB. My post here: AnandTech Forums - View Single Post - New Nexus 7 16 vs 32GB storage performance?

Same level of performance, size for storage only
    07-30-2013 05:51 PM