Screen Flicker/Flash

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Have both updates installed on my 32gb N7, and have been having a problem with flicker and outright flashing on the screen with brightness set to about 30-35%. Also happens using auto brightness when the N7 is in a dim enough location that the brightness is probably at about 35%. Issue isn't merely refresh rate sort of flicker, it is a major sort of light show.

With brightness at or above 50%, this doesn't seem to be happening.

Anyone else able to reproduce this? No idea if this is specific to my unit, and don't want to bother exchanging yet if it might be software.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Are there any apps installed that may interfere with the screen brightness? Also, did this recently become a problem?

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't reckon I have any apps installed that make any particular use of screen brightness, and I've only had it since yesterday afternoon before it started flashing and flickering. I'm going to have to reset it before returning, so maybe that'll help. As I'm typing this reply, the screen is going haywire, but pretty much acts normally if I turn it up to at least 50%.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Would really appreciate it if a few of you can confirm if you're able to reproduce (or not) screen flicker or flashing with screen brightness set to around 35%. It's most noticeable with white backgrounds.

Thanks!

znibbor

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I am also experiencing this... here's my post from Reddit.

Purchased 2013 Nexus 7 on Thursday and have run into a concerning issue.

When the screen's brightness is set to less than approximately 50%, I've noticed considerable screen flickering and less occasionally the screen goes black for half a second. I thought originally the problem was unique to chrome but I am noticing the issue system wide now. The tablet is set to manual brightness control, as well.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Can anyone shed some light on what is causing this phenomenon and/or how to fix it?

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Znibbor,

Thanks for the reply. I'm also having the 1/2 second screen blackouts, in addition to the general flickering.
All this really only happens at under 40% (and definitely in the 20-35% range).

Problem is this Nexus has exceedingly strong back lighting, so 40% is actually quite bright indoors.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll see a slight flicker after somewhere between 20-30 minutes usage, but I consider that very minor of an issue. It isn't auto brightness as I tested with that disabled (ie fixed brightness level)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Geez. I had the first gen N7 and it was plagued with ghosting, and flickering when the brightness was low, esp with a low wifi signal. I would have thought the new model would not have those same issues. (glad I sold my N7 and didn't buy the new model, thanks to early adopters who quickly took to this forum to voice their complaints with GPS, etc.) I HATE problem products! :)