Why the Smaller (Lower amp) charger?

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Received my 2013 on Saturday, and I noticed the charger is not only physically smaller, but it also has a lower output. 1.35A (2013) vs 2.0A (2012). Anyone know why Asus/Google would make this choice? Seems like a step back, everyone wants their stuff to charge faster, and 2A is safe for almost every device. Ideas?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Received my 2013 on Saturday, and I noticed the charger is not only physically smaller, but it also has a lower output. 1.35A (2013) vs 2.0A (2012). Anyone know why Asus/Google would make this choice? Seems like a step back, everyone wants their stuff to charge faster, and 2A is safe for almost every device. Ideas?
You really shouldn't see a decrease in the charging output. Keep in mind that hardware is more efficient and may not require high output to charge the device at a safe level. I would not be concerned with this change in hardware and would caution using anything else that is not OEM spec should you decide to purchase a second or replacement charger.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You can feel free to use a 2 or 2.1a charger with your new Nexus 7. The device will only draw the amount of power it can use, so if the new Nexus 7 is designed to charge at 1.35a, that's what it will draw from your 2a charger. In fact, it's best when buying an extra charger to get one that's rated for higher amps so it's useful for more devices.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
You can feel free to use a 2 or 2.1a charger with your new Nexus 7. The device will only draw the amount of power it can use, so if the new Nexus 7 is designed to charge at 1.35a, that's what it will draw from your 2a charger. In fact, it's best when buying an extra charger to get one that's rated for higher amps so it's useful for more devices.

Exactly you won't do damage with a high amp charger that is reasonable. On all modern devices it's the device that does the regulation not the charger.

gfsockmonkey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i noticed the same thing, with the charge rate, when i plugged in my N7Gen1 to the Gen2 charger.

the N7Gen1 stayed plugged in all night long (over 7 hrs) on Gen2 charger, but didn't get over 45%. (from 10%)
while the N7Gen2 on Gen1 charger was chg'd 100%.

i have yet to charge the N7Gen2 with the Gen2 charger. curious if it will chg to 100% over night (from around 25%)

Gen2 charger
DSCN3574.JPG

Gen1 charger
DSCN3570.JPG

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i have yet to charge the N7Gen2 with the Gen2 charger. curious if it will chg to 100% over night (from around 25%)
I would suggest when you eventually charge Gen2 N7 with Gen2 chargger, you use the cable provided with the unit. Some folks have reported slow charging when using different cables due to N7 not detecting that it has a more capable charger connected.

gfsockmonkey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest when you eventually charge Gen2 N7 with Gen2 chargger, you use the cable provided with the unit. Some folks have reported slow charging when using different cables due to N7 not detecting that it has a more capable charger connected.

I will have to try the new cable (if i can figure out which is which :-[) because i charged from 35% on old cable and new charger last night and only got to 90% after 7 hours.

gfsockmonkey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I will have to try the new cable (if i can figure out which is which :-[) because i charged from 35% on old cable and new charger last night and only got to 90% after 7 hours.
ok, figuring out which cable is which was easy. the new one is rubberized. old one is slick.

chg'd from about 50% all night and was at 100% by morn using new chgr and new cable (complete bs IMHO).
any usb should work equally as well.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
ok, figuring out which cable is which was easy. the new one is rubberized. old one is slick.

chg'd from about 50% all night and was at 100% by morn using new chgr and new cable (complete bs IMHO).
any usb should work equally as well.

Charging via USB is super handy for cross-compatibility, but the fact is the amperage isn't the same for all chargers. The different results from your two chargers makes absolute perfect sense, because the new charger puts out a max of 1.35a, while the first gen charger puts out 2.0a. The new Nexus 7 is probably only going to charge at a max of 1.35a (device regulates amperage draw, not the charger), so it will charge at the same rate on either charger. However, the first gen N7 will try to draw 2.0a, which it can get from one charger, but not the other. The result is equal charging speeds for the new N7, but slower charging for the old N7 on the new charger.

If you need multiple chargers, and want to be sure you're getting full charging speed no matter what you plug in, get a higher amperage charger, simple as that. I have yet to use the charger that came with my new N7, because I already had some 2.0 & 2.1a chargers around. I've also been burned before buying a portable battery USB charger, only to find out it has a max output of less than one amp. You can still charge from something like that, but it's sloooooow - so slow you essentially have to turn off the device while charging, or the usage of it being on will exceed the charge it's getting from the battery charger.

Also, *most* of the time the cable you use won't matter, but there are exceptions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670