The new nexus 7,Why it has me conflicted on a certain issue.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The wonderful world of Custom ROMs and root galore.And why i am not sure the new nexus 7 needs it.​

Let me start this off by saying that i have always been an advocate for taking control of your device to the fullest extent. Often times this can and will mean,Unlocking the boot loader and flashing a custom ROM.This can have many benefits including getting rid of the "stock" ROM provided by your device manufacturer.Whether it be HTC,Samsung,Motorola,Or LG. Often times the manufacturer takes the code that Google provides to the world and modify's it to Change up and give their phone a look that is unique and easy to recognize. Not only does this help build brand recognition it can also give the company a chance to build and pre-load their own apps on the device. This serves a purpose other than filling your phone with often times lack luster applications. It provides yet another revenue model for the company that made the phone. Again,Folks its all about revenue here.

But don't think even for a second that the people making the phones are the only one's to think this is a fine idea. Because your device's software isn't done being modified.Your friendly local Carrier Such as Verizon,At&t, T-Mobile,Or sprint is eager to get their hands on your phones software to pre-load it with even more applications.It's almost as if these companies can never have enough money,huh. Anyways,back to the void. The interesting thing here is. That taking the time to build and pre-load the device with applications takes time and money. So the carrier is going to take some precaution with what they choose to pre-load onto your device.Not for your enjoyment,but rather for their profit. Because they are smart enough to know that if the apps they pre-load on your phone are junk you aren't going to use them. This has happened before,a good example is the Verizon App-Store for android. The service was largely unpopular and was discontinued in early 2012 by the carrier. But even with the introduction of android 4.0 and the option to disable pre-loaded bloatware on your phone has become available,for some people they don't even realize this bloatware is on their phone,let alone realize why they should disable it. So while it certainly is less of a problem it still is a major problem. And while you may be able to disable this bloatware its becoming dangerous. With carriers pre-loading Applications that will spy on your browsing habits
This is becoming more than just being annoying and unnecessary.It's becoming a threat to what little privacy we have left. I am not running around here with a tinfoil hat or anything. All i am saying is that we have to be able to trust the companies that are providing us with our mobile devices.And for me at least the carriers have shown they can't be trusted. So often times,Voiding your warranty and flashing a custom rom is the way to go.This can be an easy and effective way of freeing your device from the overbearing grip of your carrier on your phone. It isn't always for the worse,these pre-loaded applications. But for me. I don't take kindly to this practice in the slightest. With that being said however, i am not so sure the new nexus 7 needs it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of nexus devices.​
With all this being said,You're probably thinking that i am crazy for not wanting to immediately flash a custom ROM on my shiny new nexus 7,but that's were you,in my opinion are wrong. This is for several reasons chief of which is that Google doesn't pre-load Nexus devices with crappy,unnecessary and annoying bloatware. Certainly you get a host of stock google applications but you can uninstall and disable all of these applications. This is a much more transparent and reasonable approach to "stock" ROMS. It is surely a lot better then a twice modified ROM pre-loaded with plenty of bloatware.So in the end i don't think i need to flash a custom ROM on the new nexus 7,The battery life is great on the stock ROM,Their isn't any bloatware in sight. I may have made my mind up about the nexus 7,but as for my next phone,i am not sure.

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a primary reason that I opted to go with Nexus. I wanted the pure, unadulterated Android experience. And I get operating system updates as soon as they are available. I feel no need to root or test custom ROMs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) via the Android Central App.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I did have a custom kernel on the 2012 nexus but my new 2013 version so far is amazing out of the box..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been using pure, stock Android for about eight months now. It's great! Fast, battery efficient, and very stable. Every single custom ROM I've tried in the past has had some kind of issue... It was a perpetual beta test. I don't see myself moving away from stock anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781