Nexus 7 Drop Test doesn't bode well.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
ouch, that hurt to watch. Good thing I transport it in a case. . .

with how the device was bricked on the first drop, without even harming the screen at all, I fear cases aren't going to make much of a difference. if the components inside break before the screen....no case is going to protect it from a fall. also, this alludes to the possibility that the inner components are soo fragile, even lesser falls could brick it regardless of a case or not.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Moral of the story... Don't drop your Nexus 7!

It does suck that it didn't power on after the first hit

Posted via Android Central App

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
with how the device was bricked on the first drop, without even harming the screen at all, I fear cases aren't going to make much of a difference. if the components inside break before the screen....no case is going to protect it from a fall. also, this alludes to the possibility that the inner components are soo fragile, even lesser falls could brick it regardless of a case or not.

Cases will absorb impact force, so regardless of if the force is on the screen or internal components, a padded case will absorb that kinetic energy to soften the blow. That would be like saying dropping it on a pillow wouldn't be any different than dropping in on concrete in regards to the internal components. The case softens the blow and slows the deceleration the same way a pillow would (though to a lesser extent of course).

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Not generally a walmart fan, but at least they had, and I bought, a $28 accidental damage plan good for 2 years for my 32gb N7. This sucker is slippery!

Bought and returned a Sero 7 Pro which had better grip, but the N7 is so much smaller/lighter/better. Probably cause it was only $150, I wasn't nearly as worried about damaging it. $270, and the slickness seems to make me take greater care of this N7. Lol.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Cases will absorb impact force, so regardless of if the force is on the screen or internal components, a padded case will absorb that kinetic energy to soften the blow. That would be like saying dropping it on a pillow wouldn't be any different than dropping in on concrete in regards to the internal components. The case softens the blow and slows the deceleration the same way a pillow would (though to a lesser extent of course).

the issue is, it's to such a small extent, that it's useless. think of it this way....do you think being inside of a cardboard box is going to protect you at all from a fall from a 2nd floor window? how about just a 10ft fall? you think that box is going to soften the impact at all? no way. not. one. bit.

with the fragility of the new nexus 7, all a case is good for is keeping off scuffs and scratches....but it's soo fragile that it'll most likely break before you have to worry about scuffs or scratches. traditionally, tablets screens break before anything else in a fall....but the new nexus 7 has a huge chance of breaking from simple falls, long before the screen -- and it's not because the screen is any stronger, because it's actually quite fragile. so the internals of the new nexus 7 are literally more fragile than glass.

picture a guy jumping off a roof onto those nice soft inflated landing areas. the reason why they survive the fall is because their deceleration is slowed gradually. but tablet cases are NOT that fluffy. they don't allow for any meaningful gradual deceleration that something like a pillow or trampoline does, there's just not enough padding to 'slowly' decelerate into.

*tablet cases are more designed to spread out the force of an impact over a larger area than a smaller one.* that doesn't mean the amount of force changes, it's just redistributed.

for example, if you dropped your unprotected tablet face down on jagged rocks, each edge of those rocks will focus that force over smaller areas instead of spreading out the force evenly. think bed of nails. you can safely lay on a whole bed of them, but remove 60% of those nails from random areas, and you're eventually going to have enough weight on one point for it to penetrate, despite the same amount of weight or force. by having a flat surface covering the screen, any force against it, spreads that force out over the entire screen. but again, the nexus 7 is proven to be soo fragile, it can break internally before there's enough force to crack the screen.

since the nexus 7 was dropped flat on its back onto a flat surface, that force was spread out about as evenly as any case would have spread out that force, which means a case would have made virtually no difference. whether the screen breaks or the internals, you're still left with a brick.

cases are not designed to protect the internals of a tablet in the fall, physics just don't work that way. cases are designed to distribute force evenly and externally so you don't get too much force in one single area. they're primarily designed to protect the screen this way. but they will never be able to protect the internals until they resemble a pillow since it's impossible to redistribute force on the inside of the tablet, which is why I said they should have filled the tablets empty spaces inside with a foam, so that way force can be redistributed evenly internally.

VFC

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Anybody remember the young lady who posted a review of her 2012 Nexus 7 on Amazon and rated it 1 star because the screen cracked while she was using it? A bunch of people responded about the junk that Asus builds and that the screen breaking didn't surprise them. She went on to say that Amazon better not give her a hard time when she asks for a replacement.

When I hit the other reviews from this customer link there was a 1 star rating for a case. She went on to say how the case didn't protect her new Nexus 7 when her girlfriend grabbed it out of her hands and threw it down on the sidewalk.

I wonder how she made out with the Nexus return.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Anybody remember the young lady who posted a review of her 2012 Nexus 7 on Amazon and rated it 1 star because the screen cracked while she was using it? A bunch of people responded about the junk that Asus builds and that the screen breaking didn't surprise them. She went on to say that Amazon better not give her a hard time when she asks for a replacement.

When I hit the other reviews from this customer link there was a 1 star rating for a case. She went on to say how the case didn't protect her new Nexus 7 when her girlfriend grabbed it out of her hands and threw it down on the sidewalk.

I wonder how she made out with the Nexus return.

That made me laugh. People are so stupid.

Speaking of stupid...what if the battery was just dead? Did the try plugging it in?

I am going to order that Poetic Slimbook case today!

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Not generally a walmart fan, but at least they had, and I bought, a $28 accidental damage plan good for 2 years for my 32gb N7. This sucker is slippery!

Bought and returned a Sero 7 Pro which had better grip, but the N7 is so much smaller/lighter/better. Probably cause it was only $150, I wasn't nearly as worried about damaging it. $270, and the slickness seems to make me take greater care of this N7. Lol.

I bought my nexus 7 16gb from best buy, would I still be able to buy a accidental damage plan from Walmart?

krighton

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hardly any cases out yet for.....VERY slippery, I've dropped mine on carpet at least 5 times so far, short power cable doesn't help as I've yanked it off the table twice. Took it back to BB today, afraid i'll break it before some good protection is sold for it.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought my nexus 7 16gb from best buy, would I still be able to buy a accidental damage plan from Walmart?

I don't think so, I think you'd have had to buy it at the same time as you bought a device at Walmart. I asked about it when I bought the Nook and they said I had to buy with the device, I could not come back and get the plan at a later date. I opted not to buy, since I rarely drop devices.

You can get a Square Trade plan within a month of purchase, but it is more expensive I expect than the Walmart plan.

Sent from my Nook HD+

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a square trade warranty. Is that a good place?

Sent from my Oven

I have heard nothing but good about Square Trade, though I have not had the occasion to use one of their warranties. I may get one for the Nexus 7, still thinking that over.

Sent from my Nook HD+

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
lol, $50 for a protection plan? Wow, that is such a great scam; I bet they make a ton of money. Wow, I bet no where near 1 of 5 people file a claim.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
lol, $50 for a protection plan? Wow, that is such a great scam; I bet they make a ton of money. Wow, I bet no where near 1 of 5 people file a claim.

A scam would be if I bought an ipad and found a brick inside the box instead of a new ipad. Square trade and everything insurance related are not a scam. It's a "you may or may not need it" and when you do need it i'm guessing it's a lot more useful than if I hadn't had one. For people like me who can't just throw down another $250 for another tablet if damaged, insurance plans comes in handy. Even if you never ended up using it, the peace of mind you get is worth $2.50/month for 2 years. At least in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes