Bluetooth Tether

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to tether my Nexus 7 to my phone (Blackberry)? I can tether my PC to my phone just fine.

I heard I need an app called BlueVPN?...

Connect the two via bluetooth, then under bluetooth, click the settings icon next to your device and that should lead you to share internet connection.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
You can also tether with Wi-Fi. Speaking of which, does anyone know the relative advantages of tethering with bluetooth versus Wi-Fi, such as battery life?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You can also tether with Wi-Fi. Speaking of which, does anyone know the relative advantages of tethering with bluetooth versus Wi-Fi, such as battery life?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Wifi is faster and has a greater range.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Can someone be a little bit more specific in pairing my Nexus 7 with my cell phone via Bluetooth. I have the Bluetooth turned on on both devices but am stuck at what to do next. Searching for devices turns up nothing.

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Can someone be a little bit more specific in pairing my Nexus 7 with my cell phone via Bluetooth. I have the Bluetooth turned on on both devices but am stuck at what to do next. Searching for devices turns up nothing.

You have to set one of the devices up to be 'visible to other devices' and then search on the other device.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Settings/bluetooth/search for devices from either device as long as bluetooth is turned on for both devices. They also need to be reasonably close to each other, not like across the room. Also, tap the device name at the top where it says "Only visible to paired devices" and change it to "Visible to all nearby Bluetooth devices" on both. You have about 2 minutes to find each other before it defaults back to "Only visible to paired devices".

Note, bluetooth tethering is an extremely slow file transfer protocol. Use wifi tethering whenever possible.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
You can change the Bluetooth timeout by long pressing on the'make Nexus visible to other devices' & countdown timer - you can set it to never time out, or varying times. As a matter of interest, why would anyone need to tether a phone's Wi Fi? Might as well just turn on the Wi-Fi on the nexus?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
As a matter of interest, why would anyone need to tether a phone's Wi Fi?

Not sure that you understand what I meant. Wifi is a faster protocol when transferring files between 2 devices as opposed to Bluetooth. That is why Samsung Beam uses it for NFC transfer instead of the standard Android bluetooth protocol. Also, some people use BT to tether to a smartphone cellular data connection when real wifi is not available. Again, that is much slower than creating a wifi hotspot with the smartphone.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure that you understand what I meant. Wifi is a faster protocol when transferring files between 2 devices as opposed to Bluetooth. That is why Samsung Beam uses it for NFC transfer instead of the standard Android bluetooth protocol. Also, some people use BT to tether to a smartphone cellular data connection when real wifi is not available. Again, that is much slower than creating a wifi hotspot with the smartphone.

I agree. I used to use BT tethering, but now use Wifi. So much easier and faster. The only downside for some people is there provider charges extra for the feature (unless you root your phone and run a custom rom). I am on Verizon Share Everything plan and there is no extra charge so I use my phone as a mobile Wifi hot spot for my tablets, laptop, etc, when in a car or other place without Wifi.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a tmobile GN2 and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way for me to get bluetooth tethering on my device either via an apk file or custom ROM that has that feature. I currently am running stock 4.3 and do not have that option on my device.

macman4

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I can tether my Nexus 7 to my iPhone 5 for free,and using LTE on my iPhone. Its called Personal Hotspot...works great and easy to do.

Allan Hundeboll

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
My nexus7 3G (old model) does not support sharing internet through bluetooth tethering. I was very disappointed because I didnt expect Google to put liimits on a nexus device.
I tried some apps designed for bluetooth tethering but it didn't work. So now im using cyanogenmod on my Nexus7. If the SG2 is like my nexus7 you will have to root and install a custom rom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781