Nexus 7 kick ipad mini's ****

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I still prefer my iPad mini because of the app quality. I have the same apps on my mini as I do the N7. The apps on the mini have actual tablet apps where as on the N7, they are phone apps scaled up to fit the bigger screen. All the speed in the world and better screens don't matter if the apps don't measure up.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I still prefer my iPad mini because of the app quality. I have the same apps on my mini as I do the N7. The apps on the mini have actual tablet apps where as on the N7, they are phone apps scaled up to fit the bigger screen. All the speed in the world and better screens don't matter if the apps don't measure up.

I agree with you, and there is absolutely no argument that the iPad has better tablet apps than Android....But, Android is quickly closing that gap.....also you have to admit that the N7 and it's 7 inch form factor does a pretty damn good job scaling those phone apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the firm factor of the Nexus 7 is better. It is a lot easier for me to comfortably hold it on one hand. Love the screen too. I can be patient on the tablet specific apps. The one killer feature for me is the gesture typing. I love it on my phone, but it almost seems necessary on a tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
When you compare the new nexus 7 to the iPad mini is not really an apples to apples comparison because of the screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you, and there is absolutely no argument that the iPad has better tablet apps than Android....But, Android is quickly closing that gap.....also you have to admit that the N7 and it's 7 inch form factor does a pretty damn good job scaling those phone apps.

Maybe they are catching up but so far with the same apps that I have running on both, none of the Android apps that use daily have been updated to tablet versions.

Those app developers are just too lazy or think that because the OS will scale, them, they don't need a tablet version. Even the iPhone versions of those same apps beat the Android versions.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they are catching up but so far with the same apps that I have running on both, none of the Android apps that use daily have been updated to tablet versions.

Those app developers are just too lazy or think that because the OS will scale, them, they don't need a tablet version. Even the iPhone versions of those same apps beat the Android versions.

Yea hear you, and maybe it is more laziness on the part of developers ...who knows. I guess it all comes down to the particular apps that we use on a constant basis. I use my N7 mostly keeping up with news feeds and developers for apps such as Flipboard and Feedly have done a great job on their Android app.....I also listen to a lot of radio and podcasts, and Tunein Radio as well as Podkicker look good as well. Like I said, I guess it depends on your needs for particular apps.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Sticking with the original subject of this thread ....I'm not to surprised at the N7 coming out on top of this prizefight....after all there is no denying that it is one great performing tablet, at a great price!...what I am surprised at is Cnet giving the N7 such praise! It's pretty well known that Cnet and the likes of people like Eric Franklin, Scott Stein, and Donald Bell are huge Apple Fan Boys.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Lol, I nearly spit my coffee out while reading that. The old Nexus 7 had a PPI that was much closer to the iPad mini screen, and yet, it still sold like crazy. The term 'retina' is just a marketing term by Apple to make people think they are getting a better screen, when actually its not.

Posted via Android Central App

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
tech blogs and reviewers are giving the new nexus 7 glowing reviews. The current iPad mini no matter how you cut is simply not the best value out there. Its high price, clumsy form factor, low display resolution and two year old hardware simply can't compete in the 7 inch tablet market. The Nexus 7 raised the bar and Apple needs something impressive this year. Competition is a good thing. I'm not surprised that the Nexus 7 won Cnets prize fight. Keep kicking a$$ Google.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Exactly. The seven inch form factor makes the tablet app issue a non issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Even though I don't have a Nexus 7, I could see how much popularity the device gained based on compliments and the specifications. With such a performance at an affordable price, it would naturally have a fun time owning other competitors.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yea hear you, and maybe it is more laziness on the part of developers ...who knows. I guess it all comes down to the particular apps that we use on a constant basis. I use my N7 mostly keeping up with news feeds and developers for apps such as Flipboard and Feedly have done a great job on their Android app.....I also listen to a lot of radio and podcasts, and Tunein Radio as well as Podkicker look good as well. Like I said, I guess it depends on your needs for particular apps.

Showtime Anytime app was just as people come to expect on android, a phone app on a tablet. But then they updated it and now it has an awesome tablet specific app. Developers are working on tablet specific apps but it will take time.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
tech blogs and reviewers are giving the new nexus 7 glowing reviews. The current iPad mini no matter how you cut is simply not the best value out there. Its high price, clumsy form factor, low display resolution and two year old hardware simply can't compete in the 7 inch tablet market. The Nexus 7 raised the bar and Apple needs something impressive this year. Competition is a good thing. I'm not surprised that the Nexus 7 won Cnets prize fight. Keep kicking a$$ Google.

I highly agree that the new Nexus 7 blows the iPad mini out of the water. I thought it strange that CNET seemed less hesitant to defend the iPad, even though clearly it is a terrible device compared to the N7. CNET usually seems to side with Apple in most cases. I guess it really depends on who is writing the article, or making the video.

Posted from my awesome new Nexus 7