Nexus 7 (2013) Stuck on X

Joe Cap

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Finally got the toolkit to work. Had to download the Android SDK Tool to get the USB drivers installed.

After connecting nexus to my PC and entering the adb sideload mode, my PC recognized it. This was needed for the Nexus 7 toolkit to sense the tablet.

But now I'm stuck. I can't seem to do anything since my bootloader is locked and USB debugging is not enabled. The option to unlock the bootloader will do a factory reset which will erase all my data but I'm trying to recover a bunch of photos.

Anyone know how to enable USB debugging if you can't boot into the OS or unlock the bootloader without doing a factory reset?
Or know how to pull data from the tablet from adb sideloader?

nicoleeo133

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
my nexux tablet is stuck on the glowing X. i push the power button and it shuts off, buzzes and turns o again showing the google icon then stuck on X. The only thing that works is pushing power and volume together which brings up an android that says "downloading.. do not turn off target. left screen reads "device iso, product name, variant, bootloader version carrier info, serial number, lock state: locked, reboot mode flag: none. There is a long green box with "start" in it. I have had it at this point until battery is dead, still nothing but google then glowing X and gets stuck there. Please help/

Konrad Aderer

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I've gone into recovery mode several times, the problem didn't get fixed.

One thing I didn't do was clear the cache. I'm holding off on that to see if the toolkit solution works, since it promises to let me keep my data instead of doing the factory reset. I've installed the toolkit, USB driver seems to be working as far as the adb sideload mode.

But the toolkit solution hinges on your knowing the build number of your android version. How do you find that out when all you can access is the frozen "X" or the fastboot menu? The toolkit instructions say you might damage your device if you load the wrong google image.

Last edited:

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for those of you who posted in this thread. It was of great help.

I just hope this does not continue to happen. This is my first tablet and I am really finding it useful.

Konrad Aderer

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
After the solution in that wonderful video didn't work I spent a long time trying to use Google nexus 7 toolkit 5.0.0 to fix my "stuck on X" problem. I tried several times for hours to flash a factory image, but that program and the scant information I could find on it left me at a dead end, described in this post. Eventually I found this program: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9. It has an actual user interface and clear instructions, highly recommend it. Had to uninstall the former program and clear out the drivers, which the Root Toolkit also had a great task window for. And I was amazed that all my programs were restored! Not sure why that happened, perhaps they were backed up through Google somehow. I did several factory wipes which didn't fix the problem, so I was sure I'd lost everything. Hope this helps other people!

Last edited:

laurienoca

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I just purchased a refurb 2012 Asus Nex 7 32 GB with JB4.1. It was working fine for about an hour until I upgraded to JB 4.3. Apparently, the upgrade completely corrupted my tablet. I have tried the factory reset and wipe cache partition multiple times and I still can't clear the X screen. This is the 2nd Asus tablet that I bought. The first unit's battery died and I was not able to recharge it even with all the tips and tricks posted on forums and was forced to return it. I even tried calling Google directly and the person didn't know anything about this hard boot to get to the factory reset menu.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Laurie

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I am on my second tablet with the same random reboots. I am returning it today, and not coming home with another one. I am disappointed with my nexus experience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

elbolger100

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Just got a 2013 version for Christmas and after using it a few times got the 'X' problem. By trial and error, I found that, once I got to the 'X', if I held down the power key and 'up' volume key together for 5 or so seconds I would then to the screen where I enter my pin/password. This screen comes up kind of strangely, first one half, followed by the other half, but after that everything seems to work normally. So I have a workaround, but this is still hugely inconvenient so I will be trying to get a replacement.

haysdaddy

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their solutions! I received my Nexus 7 yesterday from the warranty repair for a broken screen (apparently it was bad enough they had to replace the mobo). I installed a system update and apparently something went wrong and got stuck on the boot screen. With the information from this forum and a little perseverance I was able to load a factory image, albeit a dated one. I was nervous about installing updates this afternoon, but successfully went from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2. Thanks again for all your help! Keep up the good work!

David Littleford

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have done the reset thing multiple times and it just always reboots to the "x" screen. I even tried that program people said to download, but it keeps saying it is waiting for the nexus 7 to establish a status, and of course while it is on the "x" screen it reads as not having a status. But I do the full erase everything then reboot move and I am still stuck with an "x".

David Littleford

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
After the solution in that wonderful video didn't work I spent a long time trying to use Google nexus 7 toolkit 5.0.0 to fix my "stuck on X" problem. I tried several times for hours to flash a factory image, but that program and the scant information I could find on it left me at a dead end, described in this post. Eventually I found this program: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9. It has an actual user interface and clear instructions, highly recommend it. Had to uninstall the former program and clear out the drivers, which the Root Toolkit also had a great task window for. And I was amazed that all my programs were restored! Not sure why that happened, perhaps they were backed up through Google somehow. I did several factory wipes which didn't fix the problem, so I was sure I'd lost everything. Hope this helps other people!

As you can see from my earlier post I was having the same issues... this is the exact fix for it. Thanks so much. Good call man.

taylornest

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I followed the steps to do a factory reset. After it seemed to reboot it stopped with the cursor on reboot. So I clicked on reboot because that seemed to make sense. But now the Nexus just keeps scrolling through a shot of a bunch of commands, then the word Google, and then a pulsing four color google symbol. Does that mean it is rebooting and I just need to wait, or does it mean what I did didn't work and I need to try something else?
Thanks so much.

pietro4

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I nearly ordered another replacement before after trying the previous ideas posted,I didn't seemingly lose the contents of the internal 32gbt memory so for that I am extremely grateful.Thank you for helping me out,don't even know how this came about in a bar on wifi at the time;sober,but was on facebook and it just behaved strange so I shut it down in the normal way or so I thought. Pete.