Nexus 7 (2013) Stuck on X

jLimit

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Recently powered on my nexus and wouldn't get passed the X logo. I tried going into recovery menu but always end up with the android with the red exclamation mark with "no command" underneath.
Would really like some help.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Is this your first boot? You may want to do a factory reset. Boot into recovery mode. It will probably give you the red X. Then, press the up volume key until recovery menu shows up (may take a while). Then do a factory reset and see if that works. It is sorta weird that the recovery menu does not work like it should, and requires you to hit the up volume again until it actually goes into recovery.

Posted from my awesome new Nexus 7

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I remember with the first Nexus 7 you had to have the device plugged usb into a computer in order get recovery, right? Maybe this is the same.

DarkWizard

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
same here just got my nexus 7 today was doing the second update then it rebooted but it just goes to the nexus boot logo and stay there. i did the recovery mode but it gives me an error there's an android with a red triangle and some text that say "no command" is there any way to fix this

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like something got corrupt with the update ie a bad flash. You're obviously under warranty. I'd take it back and get a replacement. You may be able to fix it yourself if you want to tinker. Check out the hacks/Rom category of the forums for ideas if you want to try.

Posted via Android Central App

DarkWizard

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Just fix my nexus 7 ! When you go into recovery menu and end up with the android with the red exclamation mark with "no command" underneath.then you have to do the combo moves press power then up then let go of both at the same time but you need to do it fast then you should be in the real recovery menu. Wipe cache and factory reset then reboot. Worked for me found this by calling google customer service

Eve B

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Man, you just saved me a ton of frustration! Bummer that I will have to put everything back on now that it's back to factory settings, but that combo button maneuver really did the trick. Thank you!! :D

dgeebee

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Get the official toolkit from Google @
https://sites.google.com/site/faqdro...exus-7-toolkit
open the Google nexus 7 toolkit 5.0.0
connect tablet to computer if not unlock select proper number to unlock then proceed...
hold power on up and down vol buttons to get into fast boot mode
choose option 9
then choose option 1 to download correct version select 2 to flash if you've already downloaded the correct version
IMPORTANT then select "NO" to keep all data intact Select yes to wipe to factory image
the toolkit will do the rest
it takes a bit be patient it will reboot to normal

malocclu

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
After spending much time with Asus tech support and getting nowhere except to be told to sent the unit to them for repairs at my expense, I found your reponse. Sure am glad I did! Worked perfectly and now I don't need that RMA. Thanks.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Had this happen to me yesterday. I had a package error while trying to update an app so I rebooted and that's when it got stuck on the x. I tried just wiping the cache but that didn't work so I had to fully wipe. And I've had the tablet for 2 weeks now and it never did this before. So frustrating. Now I'm just scared to turn the thing off!

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The unit doesn't have to be plugged in. Follow the steps below and you will be able to get into the Recovery mode for factory restore w/data wipe.

If your tablet is on, power it off.
Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
While holding down Power, press Volume Up. (just press it once and let go)
Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.
Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.

If you have issues getting this process to work send me an email at cl-fred@asus.com and I'll be more then happy to help you with it.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The unit doesn't have to be plugged in. Follow the steps below and you will be able to get into the Recovery mode for factory restore w/data wipe.

If your tablet is on, power it off.
Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
While holding down Power, press Volume Up. (just press it once and let go)
Use the volume keys to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press Power to select it.
Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press Power to select it.

If you have issues getting this process to work send me an email at cl-fred@asus.com and I'll be more then happy to help you with it.
If you prefer, there is a quicker way to get into recovery.

Just power down, then press Power+VolUp until you see Google. Then let go. With the Android fallen down screen, press and hold power, then press and release VolUp (as you described)

Going into bootloader to then select recovery will work also, but is extra steps if what you wanted in the end is recovery.

Darkk69

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
This tip worked perfectly on my Nexus 7. Now going to unlock and root it. Then install TWRP recovery mod so I can make my backups.

liqmat

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I have had three Nexus 7 2013 devices get stuck at the X so far and all have had the "Process com.google.process.gapps Has Stopped" error loop as well even though the download manager was enabled. I factory reset and all is well for a while only to repeat from a few days to a week later. Called Google and tech agreed something either up with 4.3 or ASUS is pumping out shoddy hardware. Looking forward to a Google response as resetting my devices every few days/weeks is not a solution.

wsxcde

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 2013 also have this stuck-at-x problem. I need to perform "wipe data/factory reset" in recovery mode every few days. Also, Chrome or Email will report that it had stopped working right after powering up once a while. I need to delete Chrome/Email and reinstall it to fix the problem. Hope Google/Asus will fix the problem soon so that I don't need to return the unit.

I have had three Nexus 7 2013 devices get stuck at the X so far and all have had the "Process com.google.process.gapps Has Stopped" error loop as well even though the download manager was enabled. I factory reset and all is well for a while only to repeat from a few days to a week later. Called Google and tech agreed something either up with 4.3 or ASUS is pumping out shoddy hardware. Looking forward to a Google response as resetting my devices every few days/weeks is not a solution.

liqmat

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 2013 also have this stuck-at-x problem. I need to perform "wipe data/factory reset" in recovery mode every few days. Also, Chrome or Email will report that it had stopped working right after powering up once a while. I need to delete Chrome/Email and reinstall it to fix the problem. Hope Google/Asus will fix the problem soon so that I don't need to return the unit.

Yes, well data corruption is happening on both of my new Nexus 7 2013 32GB tablets. Usually happens with a soft reboot. Sometimes they get stuck at the X and I have to wipe all the data to recover, sometimes it will get stuck at the X and another soft reboot gets it back in, sometimes it will reboot and once I put my security pin in that I set it will show the home screen with none of my icons/widgets there anymore, sometimes my wallpaper will be reset to the factory wallpaper and other times after a soft reboot everything is normal and fine. It seems very random and it happens on both of my new Nexus 7 2013 32GB tablets bought from two different stores from two different states. I am waiting for Google to get back with me, but having three different new Nexus 7 tablets malfunction like this (one was returned) makes you wonder how bad the quality control is on these. I am almost at the point of I want a full refund never to purchase another Nexus device again. Crazy bad.

anthonok

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Same just happened to me with my 32gn N7. I was setting up my chromecast. Rebooted the N7 because when I renamed my chromecast it didn't change on my N7 and thought that'd fix it....well it wouldn't boot past the X no matter what. Did a factory reset from recovery and its fine now. Hadn't don't any rooting or boot loader unlocking at all.

liqmat

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
That wont be the last time it happens either. Either 4.3 OS is an unstable disaster or there is going to be a major hardware recall because this problem is just starting to pop up on many Nexus 7 2013 tablets. Both of mine have gotten progressively worse as well. Today mine decided to just start rebooting on its own over and over again. Factory reset it for the 10th time. Can't wait to see what it will do next! (sarcasm of course). I have heard from other forums ASUS tech support is dismal so I am trying to work through Google right now. Hope I have some luck. I would prefer at this point a refund.