I've had an iPad (retina display) for the past year. Frankly, it's served me well enough for my basic tablet purposes of reading/watching movies/basic gaming. My wife has been asking for a tablet, so I'm going to give it to her and get something else. I want an Android based tablet, so this week I went ahead and purchased a Nook HD+ for $150 from Barnes and Noble and the new Nexus 7 32gb (2013) for $240 from Staples, with the intention of keeping one and returning the other.

I went ahead and installed Cynamogen 10.1 on the Nook HD+, and it's been very good so far. Haven't encountered any real problems with it, besides the occasional wallpaper resize issue. I like the fact that the HD+ is also lighter than my old iPad, and easier to hold. I also like the fact that the screen is 8.9" and that it has a microsd slot. And of course, you can't beat that price for tablet this size. I do have some concerns about the quality/durability of the actual hardware though.

The Nexus 7 is pretty nice. Everything seems fast. Games (Riptide GP 2) load fast and play well. The screen is also fingerprint resistant, which seems like a small thing, but in comparison the HD+ is like a smudge magnet. However, my biggest complaint with the Nexus 7 is that I just feel the screen is not big enough for my tablet use case purposes. Even thought it has a better ppi than the HD+ , I've already got an Android smartphone with a 4.7" screen, and it doesn't seem like enough of a difference in size from it to the Nexus 7. Of course, everything else in the Nexus 7 is better (2gb ram, cameras, gps, higher ppi) than the Nook HD+, and it is a newer device, with stock Android. Maybe I feel this way because I'm coming from the 9.7" iPad?

So anyways, need some opinions here. Which would you keep? Are there other factors I should be considering? Thanks for the help.

Cross-posted in the Nook forum, hope that's ok.
    08-06-2013 01:23 PM
    I would keep the N7. looks like the only problem u have is the screen size of N7.

Also, dont forget when KLP comes out it would take few months to get CM to build it for the NOOK.
    don't forget the bugs and issues with pre release software. Also, remember CM for Nook HD+ just came out a week ago(that's a long wait).

do you want to compromise every better things for just the size??
    heyyu likes this.
    08-06-2013 02:07 PM
    I've had an iPad (retina display) for the past year. Frankly, it's served me well enough for my basic tablet purposes of reading/watching movies/basic gaming. My wife has been asking for a tablet, so I'm going to give it to her and get something else.
    Perhaps you should just keep your iPad and buy your wife a new tablet? Just sayin'......
    heyyu likes this.
    08-06-2013 02:17 PM
    I would keep the N7. looks like the only problem u have is the screen size of N7.

Also, dont forget when KLP comes out it would take few months to get CM to build it for the NOOK.
    don't forget the bugs and issues with pre release software. Also, remember CM for Nook HD+ just came out a week ago(that's a long wait).

do you want to compromise every better things for just the size??
    Well, size AND price. Nook HD+ is about $100 cheaper right now. Hasn't CM for Nook HD+ been out for awhile? Pretty sure I read about people rooting the Nook HD+ a few months back.
    08-06-2013 03:21 PM
    Perhaps you should just keep your iPad and buy your wife a new tablet? Just sayin'......
    Wife wants an iPad. I wouldn't mind the opportunity to get a smaller Android tablet. Win/Win.
    08-06-2013 03:22 PM
    I have both, and I will keep both. To be honest, the Nook HD+ is really my favorite. The screen is just the right size to use comfortably. There are some minor bugs with CM10.1, but on the whole very usable. When I go back to the N7, the screen just looks so small, but it is very light and portable - and the resolution! I like both for different reasons, so I am very happy to keep them...
    heyyu likes this.
    08-06-2013 07:22 PM
    I have both, and I will keep both. To be honest, the Nook HD+ is really my favorite. The screen is just the right size to use comfortably. There are some minor bugs with CM10.1, but on the whole very usable. When I go back to the N7, the screen just looks so small, but it is very light and portable - and the resolution! I like both for different reasons, so I am very happy to keep them...
    What OS can you install on the nook using cm 10.1?
    08-06-2013 10:48 PM
    What OS can you install on the nook using cm 10.1?
    The Nook HD+ by default comes with Android 4.0, with the Nook interface on top of it. And it's pretty laggy at best. CM 10.1 currently installs Android 4.2.2. Huge improvement.
    08-07-2013 01:31 AM
    Funny, keeping both would still cost me less than a new iPad.
    08-07-2013 01:33 AM
    Try this coupon, might get you the Nexus 7 32GB for $216.

Edit: BTW I was able to get the 16GB Nexus 7 for $184. So I would try your luck.
    hpilot likes this.
    08-07-2013 08:28 AM
    Funny, keeping both would still cost me less than a new iPad.
    Isn't that amazing! I really feel sorry for people that can't look past the iPad. I have to use a company iPad at work, and I really hate it. It is such a locked down device. Every time I have to to turn the WiFi on or off I get upset at how many steps it takes. On my Android tablets I just tap the widget I put on the home screen. And how could you live without Swiftkey.
    08-07-2013 08:38 AM
    I bought the Nook HD + for my wife recently. My wife wanted a bigger screen to read on. She didn't care if it was rooted/custom rom and she doesn't care about the lag that much. Most of the apps on there run fine itself, even the browser. The lag is mainly the skin on top of it. I would say if the extra specs and you are comfortable with putting in a custom rom I would do the Nook HD+. Just remember it isn't that great for gaming unless Candy Crush type games are your thing.
    heyyu likes this.
    08-07-2013 09:43 AM