Am I being OCD or was this an oversight?

dwclarknu

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that the N7's charging port is upside down from that on the GNexus and my wife's N4. I've tried jamming the micro-USB charging cable in to my new N7 upside down too many times to count at this point. I would have thought Google would have had all the charging ports in the same orientation.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The 2012 Nexus 7 was like that too. I thought it was a little odd as well as most if not all micro USB devices I own have the smaller side of the port towards the top of the device.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that the N7's charging port is upside down from that on the GNexus and my wife's N4. I've tried jamming the micro-USB charging cable in to my new N7 upside down too many times to count at this point. I would have thought Google would have had all the charging ports in the same orientation.

Google didn't choose the direction of the charging port on your Samsung devices - Samsung did. Heck, Google probably didn't bother dictating it on the ASUS-built Nexus 7 either. It is kind of a shame that there isn't a little more of a standard for the charging port design, as that would allow for easier design of universal accessories, but it's just not something that was ever set as a standard.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I often use the same charger for my N7 and N4 and have thought about putting a 7 on one side of the plug and a 4 on the other to avoid confusion. :D :D

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have limited knowledge, but this is the first device I have had that has the port oriented in the direction it is... Because all of my other devices have been the other way, I share the gut feel that this is "wrong" but I am trying to be flexible. :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Just wait until phones and tablets move to MicroUSB 3.0 and we have two different MicroUSB standards to deal with during the transitional phase. ;)

08.jpg

That's more or less how it'll look. While it'll allow much greater data transfer rates, by the time it's fully adopted in mobile devices it's more than likely we'll be relying almost entirely on wireless transfers and cloud-based synchronization. Perhaps not for transferring a full local music library (which is where this would provide the most benefit), so the logic stands, but I digress. I have the One as well as both generations of Nexus 7, so at this point I'm used to it being flipped for some devices.

Edit: also the two posts above me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel