Bad battery in my Nexus 7?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My new (2013) Nexus 7's battery life is horrendous. When I have the device in sleep mode with wifi turned off it drains in about a day. And I can only use it for 2-3 hours reading a PDF document before the battery is empty. Could there be any settings causing this or is it a bad device?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say its impossible that it has a bad battery but I would lean more towards something going on in your device with an app or setting that is eating your battery.

If you could grab and provide a few screenshots of your Battery stats under Settings/Battery, near the end of the battery cycle this would give us a little better picture to trouble shoot.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What brightness setting do you have your screen? Get GSam Battery Monitor from the Play Store and have that running and it will monitor what apps are sucking juice and show which processes are wakelocking. Some time/date/weather widgets are murderous on battery life. If you have a bunch of social media widgets that constantly update, that'll kill you too. I don't use them - if I want to know what the idiots on Twitter and Facebook are doing, I'll fire up the app. I get emails for replies on FB, so I won't miss anything important.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I checked and it turns out that the battery is sucked dry by "System UI", even when the device is asleep and wifi is turned off.

GSam also provides this information:

"Included Processes:
com.android.systemui
*wakelock*"

Any thoughts what could be going on? I'm one day beyond Best Buy's horrible 14 day return window so will have to make do with this device somehow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995