Poll.... does yours have touchscreen issues with the latest build?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just updated to the Q build and it definitely does NOT fix these issues. So glad to find this thread as I've been trying to reproduce the dead touch problem but couldn't correlate it with anything. It seemed random, but now I can completely reproduce it. If the tablet is laying on the table, not connected to USB, the whole left side of the screen is mostly dead. It will sporadically register a touch if I keep tapping, but it's pretty useless. If I plug in the USB or touch the GLASS with my other hand OR multi-touch with 2 or more fingers, then it seems to work fine.

Very frustrating.
Regarding the deadspots, it is almost always the top 1/3 of the screen in portrait (or the left side in landscape)

Sometimes you can get the taps registered using your pinky or thumb instead of index. Sometimes switching hands also makes a difference. Sometimes doing extremely light taps will register also. Sometimes you are just screwed and nothing will register until you hold it or plug it in. Sometimes not even then.

There is either some hardware variance of manufacturing/assembly that is causing the voltage/currents to be different in that area for some of the touchscreens.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the 'Q' build. It corrected the multi-touch jumpiness completely. I'm very happy that I can do pinch-to-zoom now without the screen freaking out.
But this no screen response thing did not go away. Sitting on the couch or in the car is where I want to use it the most. I have to either hold it, or put a finger from the opposite hand on the bezel which basically makes it a two handed device. I'm going to make a better vid of this. It's a bit hard to make a vid if I have to hold a camera with one hand if the N7 will only work with two hands. I can only show it working if I use my thumb on the screen while holding it like I did in the first vid.

So if this isn't normal I want to try to return it to Asus under warranty, but I don't know if they'll accept it as faulty, or return it with no problem found.
Is this normal? Can someone show me a vid of the N7 working on a stuffed chair arm or cushion?

It's definitely not normal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Mivo

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine works perfectly until the 12th beer, and then it acts weird...must be the electrolyte balance...

Could also be that it drowns in the spilled beer. :)

I bought my device last week here in Germany when they were released, and it's not having any issues even when laying flat on a wooden table. Build is JSS15J, as well. Is there a way to see when it was manufactured?

fareal

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Could also be that it drowns in the spilled beer. :)

I bought my device last week here in Germany when they were released, and it's not having any issues even when laying flat on a wooden table. Build is JSS15J, as well. Is there a way to see when it was manufactured?

On the box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

skinnysloth

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
This is a video of my touchscreen problem. It won't work on the arm of a chair or couch.

I was having this same grounding touch issue as shown in your video. It was most noticeable at the top 1/4 to 1/5 of the screen in portrait mode. I tried the first file, boot-ts20-lock.img in the link sfhub posted and my grounding touch issue was fixed. If you haven't you may want to take a look at that thread.

Update after further testing:

Grounded: holding the tablet or using it with the usb cable plugged into the computer.
Ungrounded: using the tablet on a nonconductive surface, not plugged in with the usb cable, not holding the device.

The touch issues/dead spots are only present when the device is not grounded as defined above. The following is a report when used in the ungrounded state.

TS10- No dead spots until triggered by using three or more simultaneous multitouch, which produced phantom touches. Then there was a narrow band of dead space which seems to not be in the same area all the time. Multitouch when using two fingers was still present, but not a readily apparent.

Normal prior to triggering phantom touches:
2rxb6zr.jpg

9v9h5s.jpg

Dead band after triggering phantom touches using three finger input:
11j11dh.jpg

Rebooted, and now dead band changed to different area after triggering phantom touches using three finger input:
23w2vee.jpg

The dead band goes away after a reboot. As long as the phantom touches aren?t triggered, there are no dead areas.

TS20- Inconsistent touch response at bottom 2/3 of screen in portrait mode. Largely unresponsive at the top 1/3 of the screen with single finger input. When using multiple fingers, the screen is responsive regardless of the area touched. There are still some multitouch issues, but not as obvious as in TS10.

TS30- The device acted similarly to TS20 in regards to touch input.

TSunlock- Similar to TS20 and TS30. May be slightly more responsive in the top 1/3 of the screen.

Bottom line, TS10 didn't completely solved all my issues, but worked a lot better than stock.

Last edited:

blueskiesnh2o

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I just updated to the Q build and it definitely does NOT fix these issues. So glad to find this thread as I've been trying to reproduce the dead touch problem but couldn't correlate it with anything. It seemed random, but now I can completely reproduce it. If the tablet is laying on the table, not connected to USB, the whole left side of the screen is mostly dead. It will sporadically register a touch if I keep tapping, but it's pretty useless. If I plug in the USB or touch the GLASS with my other hand OR multi-touch with 2 or more fingers, then it seems to work fine.

Very frustrating.

Am on my second Nexus 7 with exact same issue. Top 1/3 of the screen on the left side is dead when sitting on a non-conductive surface. Just installed JSS15R with no effect. Looks like I'll be returning this one also. Grrrrr.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I now have JSS15R and my touchscreen continues to work flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) via the Android Central App.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to update this thread since I started it.
I finally got a perfect one (about a month ago).
I'm really glad I didn't wait to see if Google fixes it and instead just returned... Waited 4 weeks and bought back.

It's well worth the hassle since there's no small tablet even close to N7

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm really glad I didn't wait to see if Google fixes it and instead just returned... Waited 4 weeks and bought back.

No hassle here. I've had a perfect one since July 26th. And I agree, nothing else comes close at any price!

blueskiesnh2o

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I just called to exchange my Nexus again. The tech I talked to acknowledged that they have had quite a few returns for the same issue and that Google is saying it's a firmware issue. Google may not listen to their customers but let's hope that the vendors who must be getting tired of replacing devices can put some pressure on Google/ASUS to fix this.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Best Buy recently added another reason why I don't buy much there. I shop there to see things, but I don't buy them.
They reduced the return time from 4 weeks to 2 weeks.
With so many complicated features on electronics these days, 2 weeks isn't enough to evaluate a product.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's a firmware problem, wouldn't it kill it or fix it for everybody with the same release? Mine is at the most recent release and I'm not experiencing the problems some seem to have. Do you think it's something as basic as different screen vendors with different quality screens?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
If it's a firmware problem, wouldn't it kill it or fix it for everybody with the same release? Mine is at the most recent release and I'm not experiencing the problems some seem to have. Do you think it's something as basic as different screen vendors with different quality screens?

Google already released at least 2 patches to address the screen issues. If you still have issues, it's better to return it and get a new one. The HW must be so different that there's nothing Google can do at this point. Asus just F'd up big this time.
Having said that, there's supposedly a fix from the XDA guys. They have a number of patches you can try out to see which works the best and you can LOCK it so it's never overwritten in the future
Take that multi-touch! Fix and lock in what works for YOU regardless of updates - xda-developers

blueskiesnh2o

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried the xda fix. Don't want to be overly optimistic, but it seems to have fixed the dead screen issue! I think I will still exchange my tablet as I paid good money for a new, completely working device, and I don't want to worry about possible issues down the road. However, if the developers can quickly put out a small fix like this that WORKS, why is it so hard for Google/ASUS to fix this issue officially?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried the xda fix. Don't want to be overly optimistic, but it seems to have fixed the dead screen issue! I think I will still exchange my tablet as I paid good money for a new, completely working device, and I don't want to worry about possible issues down the road. However, if the developers can quickly put out a small fix like this that WORKS, why is it so hard for Google/ASUS to fix this issue officially?

Glad it works for you.
I have no idea why Google can't do the same... I don't know what the issue is and how the patches are applied OTA. My wild guess is that there's no way to add a logic to OTA patch to see what patch to apply. You had to manually try it out and see what works the best.
Basically Google released OTA patches to make 9x% of the tablets work perfect and the remaining % is so deviated from the "standard" that it needs a custom patch.

marmaladesquares

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2012, not 2013, Nexus 7 (16Gb, build JRW66Y) and, though my multitouch issues are not as crazy as the OP's, they certainly degrade the experience. They are only really noticeable on Chrome and Google Maps, but mayve that's just because I use them more.
Though my Nexus is the 2012 version, I broke the touchscreen and had it replaced. This was after the 2103 came out.

The problems I experience are: ghost taps (and double taps); one touch of a two-touch multitouch 'flickering' (ie not constant); and sometimes a second ghost touch, eg if I'm dragging/ swiping. The multitouch problem appears both when the touches cross on Y axis cross, and when they cross on the X axis.

I always use the Nexus 7 held in my hand so that's not a solution for me. However, a quick test shows that the problem is worse with Nexus on the table and improved if the finger of my holding hand rests around to touch the edge of the glass screen itself.

I used to see ghost taps before the build where it became a real problem (which either JWR66Y or the first v. 4.3 pushed out).
As the problem is not reproducible across all tablets of a certain age, I think it's clear that the hardware used is manufactured to too low a quality to give consistent results.
The build is obviously part of the problem too - I wonder if there is some kind of auto-calibration built into this version? Google do seem to have taken Android which wasn't broken and obsessively tried to fix it, version by version, until it is.
I don't buy the firmware explanation. I don't know why Google would lie, but I know that vendors often have incorrect info to hand...

My options seems to be:
leave one finger touching non-active area of screen to earth it - some success but limited
downgrade Android to v 4.2 - I guess this is what I'll do
seek a replacement - I don't know how I would even do this? Go to the vendor, who sells everything from ink to vacuum cleaners, and demonstrate an intermittent problem using some small-time testing app? I'd be relying on their goodwill...

Looking forward to hearing any of your solutions, y'all!

warmonked

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If it's a firmware problem, wouldn't it kill it or fix it for everybody with the same release? Mine is at the most recent release and I'm not experiencing the problems some seem to have. Do you think it's something as basic as different screen vendors with different quality screens?...

It's probably the last one. Small parts, like touchscreen controllers, are occasionally sourced from different manufacturers. In that case, firmware updates may not work on all controllers

- - - Updated - - -

If it's a firmware problem, wouldn't it kill it or fix it for everybody with the same release? Mine is at the most recent release and I'm not experiencing the problems some seem to have. Do you think it's something as basic as different screen vendors with different quality screens?...

It's probably the last one. Small parts, like touchscreen controllers, are occasionally sourced from different manufacturers. In that case, firmware updates may not work on all controllers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech